DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Red Sister's Hijab

TheMountain

Jordan rarely every used direct skin colour to describe the people of different nations.  He would user darker or paler compared to another nation.  But most of his descriptors were dress, accent, attitude and hairstyle.

I will once again suggest people watch this video by Daniel Greene and Matt Hatch of the Dusty Wheel as they do an excellent deep dive into the subject.

1 hour ago, Theseus78 said:

It's probably going to be more about how difficult it is to tell the actors apart or if we can get the visual facial expressions across vs an inconvenience to the actors.

There is a trope where the the actors remove their masks simply for the audiences benefit. This is done because it is believed the audience won't be able to tell who it is. I am 100% certain that we will be able to tell main characters apart with the lower half of their face covered.

Besides we don't know why this style arose. Maybe it's an outdoors thing like hats. Maybe it is to protect the face from the sun or to keep bugs out of the mouth. Maybe Taraboners feel naked without it in front of strangers but are ok without it in their homes. There are ways to get around it without unmasking everytime the actor appears.

On 11/29/2021 at 7:41 AM, WhiteVeils said:

I think that this could be an interesting version of Taraboners, rather than the filmy veils in front of their faces (which would be annoying to act around anyway).

If this is the case then Liandrin would be wearing one however.

According to the bonus content from episode 5, the western coast of the continent will be closer to these aesthetics.

According to the map (which is a draft), the cultures on the western coast have these inspirations for the silhouettes:

• Saldaea: Middle Eastern
  • Arad Doman: Middle Eastern
  • Tarabon: Persian
  • Altara: Greek-Mykonos
  • Ghealdan: Greek-Persian
  • Murandy: Turkish

We have not seen a female character from Saldaea, Ghealdan, or Murandy yet. It is also true that Leane probably adopts a style closer to Tar Valon in general now for the Domani, and that Liandrin might not go full Taraboner. After all, it is canonical that she resents her impoverished upbringing in Tarabon.

The Red sister is probably from somewhere in that area. Though even if she likes to veil, it may be that it is a style followed by some women and not all of them in that specific nation.

Plus, the costume designer said that while they have taken in all cultures into consideration, there are only a handful that have been fully formed as some have not been seen yet. It seemed like the main ones she was focusing on were Andor, Tar Valon, Shienar, Cairhien, Tear, Toman Head, Seanchan, and Ghealdan for the first two seasons. 

Fashion map.jpg

6 hours ago, WhiteVeils said:

The way that book Perrin focuses on Faile's eyes and nose, but doesn't talk/think about her hair very much, along with these notes here, has suddenly made me think that Faile might end up wearing a hajib, like this, and I am not hating the image.

Faile being Faile, she'll probably largely reject wearing it, ala rejecting 'the language of fans'.

9 hours ago, The Purple Ajah said:

According to the bonus content from episode 5, the western coast of the continent will be closer to these aesthetics.

I was about to paste together a culture map from this bonus content, but I can see you beat me to it! I'm *really* encouraged on watching that, as it grounds the reality that they've thought through this stuff in depth and are planning for the long run. Was considering launching another thread that doesn't focus as weirdly on one particular unnamed Aes Sedai though. "Cultures of the Westlands" or something

Edited by Frenata