• Like it
    • Neutral
    • Dislike it
    • Hate it

This poll is closed to new votes

4 minutes ago, Deviations said:

Un-Scientific:

1.  Are these newer actors 'blowing up'

2.  Is this series water cooler talk at anyone's job?

3.  Do you see news/entertainment articles on the front page of what ever feed you have or do you need to search for them?

Exactly! When it’s brought up in conversation in my social environment 9/10 aren’t remotely interested and 4/5 of those that have seen it average a “meh” 1/5 will greatly anticipating series 2..

Take Squid Game for example, for several weeks thats all anyone really talked about…

4 hours ago, Sir_Charrid said:

Another serious point here is how much opportunity the Actors have had to learn to sword fight, not including those scenes might be down to them not coming across well, for all we know sword training scenes where filmed and looked awful because the actors didn't have the required skill set to make it look good and in editing there was no way to make it look presentable. 

1 hour ago, notpropaganda73 said:

Why does saying "No I don't think the show is objectively bad" equal to "It is flawless" in your mind? Talk about a leap

….So what do you want from me then ? You argue if I say its not very good and you argue if I say its superb….

Ok the show is exactly the set quality you give it, whenever you give it and woe to any that deviate beyond the perimeter of opinion you set? 

Happy? I don’t know what else you would tolerate.

1 hour ago, Terry05 said:

? Speaking of passion.

No, the show has flaws (what show doesn’t as you say also). I was simply saying that what you stated as fact in your initial post was simply your opinion.

Me saying “WoT TV is not that good” isn’t opinion…It really is not that good of a TV show! If it was a movie it would be of the straight to TV variety…What joy you get from the show or how much someone doesn’t like it is separate from whether the show is any good or not….

Look at how many dreadfully made TV/Movies become cult classics for instance!

Troma movies are little more than amateur extremely low budget movies and yet enjoyment can be gained from them.

1 hour ago, Raal Gurniss said:

Exactly! Passion and enjoyment for a show doesn’t need it to be perfect in every single way! I just wish that people could step back and tell the two apart.

I've given season 1 a grade of 8.5/10 while giving the show itself a 10/10.   You'll find plenty of YT Content Creators who like or love the show but have given critical grades in the 7-8 range.  

Edited by ArrylT

29 minutes ago, Raal Gurniss said:

Take Squid Game for example, for several weeks thats all anyone really talked about…

That's a really good example.  While Squid Game had flaws and detractors, it was engrossing.  It became a cultural event.  I don't sense that with WOT.  Maybe future seasons will grow the buzz.  Remember, Baywatch was a disaster on NBC but when they revamped and moved to cable, it blew up.

12 minutes ago, ArrylT said:

I've given season 1 a grade of 8.5/10 while giving the show itself a 10/10.   You'll find plenty of YT Content Creators who like or love the show but have given critical grades in the 7-8 range.  

Wow. How much would you rate:

a) The Sopranos.

b) Breaking Bad.

c) GoT season 1.

Because i would not give 10 even to them, and they are like not even comparable to WoT-show.

8 minutes ago, ArrylT said:

The shows quality really isn’t an 8.5 though is it? Be honest…Script isn’t that good, acting isn’t that good and special effects aren’t that good…

Can you honestly see it winning awards in every category? It might win an award if there is a huge lack of opposition…But even the Witcher has it beat across the board as far as I can see.

44 minutes ago, Deviations said:

Un-Scientific:

1.  Are these newer actors 'blowing up'

2.  Is this series water cooler talk at anyone's job?

3.  Do you see news/entertainment articles on the front page of what ever feed you have or do you need to search for them?

Yea...

There's zero crosstalk anywhere and nothing on any feed... This barely made flavor of tge month and now is fading further.

2 minutes ago, Gothic Flame said:

Yea...

There's zero crosstalk anywhere and nothing on any feed... This barely made flavor of tge month and now is fading further.

Will be interesting to see where it ranks and rates a few episodes into season 2.

1 minute ago, fra85uk said:

a) The Sopranos.

b) Breaking Bad.

c) GoT season 1.

Because i would not give 10 even to them, and they are like not even comparable to WoT-show.

For quality all three were better in script, acting…Special effects yeah, I  would say each trumped WoT also…

A) 8/10.

B) 7/10….Cranston carried the show and the spin-off is I think better. 8/10

C)6/10.

WoT) 4-5/10

And I would probably choose to watch GoT before I watched A or B.

How much you like something doesn’t really come into the shows actual  quality.

Personally I wasn’t really a fan of any of the three, but I would prefer watching them over WoT..

And GoT is comparable to WoT, they are the same genre for a start.

13 minutes ago, Raal Gurniss said:

Script isn’t that good, acting isn’t that good and special effects aren’t that good…

Unless there is a reason for the script being what it is (i.e. it's deliberate as they have the road map in place for the next seven years so what seems leaden now is just something to build on in the future), it certainly doesn't stand out for me.  Good in places, perplexing in others, etc.

IMO, the special effects are not good.

Now both of these have to contend with Harris's departure from the show and covid restrictions, so maybe I should be kinder.

The acting I like.  In particular Moiraine and Rand.  I've long been a fan of the Fair Rosamund.  My main worry with Straczynski was that he would be leaden.  Since every moment requires him to emote (which has annoyed a lot of people), I'm relieved.  I've also picked up "cinnamon roll" in reference to a human being, and since I like cinnamon rolls (both edible and otherwise), I'm fine with him.

The rest aren't that important for me, but I'm OK with them.

Edited by EmreY

Perrin...such a waste.

His moments with Elyas, the wolves...then with the Tinkers, that had Raen tell the tale of a battle of a squad of Far Dareis Mai against 10x their number of trollocs, the dying maiden telling him that the Dark One means to blind the Eye...(this could have made an incredible cut-scene)...

...I just can't even...ugh

The cast grew on me I think. I think they are good enough that if it gets cancelled I'm going to feel sorry for the cast. The youngsters will improve as they get more experience and acquainted with the role. Frankly I think the rest of the production team needs to pick it up more than the actors. They need better dialogue, better scene editing and directing. Better CGI. I think the first season deserves a hard critical look at what worked and didn't, because a lot didn't imo. Almost every episode had some cringe worthy stuff and downright strange editing that dragged the show down from what it could be. 

15 minutes ago, Gothic Flame said:

Perrin...such a waste.

His moments with Elyas, the wolves...then with the Tinkers, that had Raen tell the tale of a battle of a squad of Far Dareis Mai against 10x their number of trollocs, the dying maiden telling him that the Dark One means to blind the Eye...(this could have made an incredible cut-scene)...

The mind boggles at lost opportunities. ?

13 minutes ago, Gothic Flame said:

Perrin...such a waste.

Well same with Matt..I mean I get cutting Caemlyn but everything that happened there could have been done in Tar Valon, some of it did!

Some of the choices made were just either awful or done for other reasons that dare not be named.

9 minutes ago, Vartija said:

The cast grew on me I think. I think they are good enough that if it gets cancelled I'm going to feel sorry for the cast. The youngsters will improve as they get more experience and acquainted with the role. Frankly I think the rest of the production team needs to pick it up more than the actors. They need better dialogue, better scene editing and directing. Better CGI. I think the first season deserves a hard critical look at what worked and didn't, because a lot didn't imo. Almost every episode had some cringe worthy stuff and downright strange editing that dragged the show down from what it could be. 

I agree, not saying the actors are awful…But the parts/script  certainly impact what can be acted out….Moraines opening monologue is utterly cringeworthy.

28 minutes ago, Raal Gurniss said:

The shows quality really isn’t an 8.5 though is it? Be honest…Script isn’t that good, acting isn’t that good and special effects aren’t that good…

Can you honestly see it winning awards in every category? It might win an award if there is a huge lack of opposition…But even the Witcher has it beat across the board as far as I can see.

Honestly, after listening to a podcast that specifically discusses what is involved in making a tv series, and how it relates to the Wheel of Time, I would say I am more firmly comfortable with that grade than I was before.  I was probably more of a 8.25/8.3 rounding up but now I can definitely say it is an 8.5.   And as someone who is currently watching S1 of The Witcher, when I go into comparing it to The Wheel of Time, I find it is lacking.   On its own it is enjoyable - but when doing a compare & contrast, The Wheel of Time is winning.   Obviously for others it will be different.   

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but as long as you pretend your opinion is fact, it will be hard to have a further discussion.   Regardless there are plenty of people who like/love the show while noting it is not perfect.   Whether you agree with where we rate the show is immaterial to me.    

21 hours ago, Gothic Flame said:

I'm a little bemused by that as well.

If I'm watching good stuff I want more. 

Come to think of it...sounds like an argument for less seasons as well. What is another season but a continuation of more of the story?

I'm kinda pissed that it seems anymore productions get smaller and smaller. 

So at first I was with you and everyone else saying this is silly.... but then I thought about my personal behavior...... 

I will binge a show and then get... bored. Even good ones like Homeland just got old for me.

My husband and I were in the middle of watching The Sopranos (him for the first time) and we just left it one day. 

So maybe they are right?

45 minutes ago, fra85uk said:

a) The Sopranos.

b) Breaking Bad.

c) GoT season 1.

Depends on how you want to grade.   Season by season or show as a whole?

I am already on record that it was tough for me to get into GOT, and the first time I only got 3 episodes in.   So S1 of Game of Thrones probably gets a 8.0 to 8.3 for me.   

A few min later (after finding reviews)

Going back to one place where Ive reviewed over 2000 items yes I gave it a 4/5.    Looks like I gave The Sopranos S1 an 4/5 as well (the site uses a grading system of 0/5 with half point increases) and Breaking Bad S1 a 4.5/5.    But those grades were given 5-7 years ago, and how I would feel about them now - like I said I'd have to go back and re-watch.

The GOT show itself including every season and all the metrics I would use likely a 9.5.    I'd have liked to give it a 10 but the last 2 seasons had flaws (for me) that simply were not feasible to honestly do so. 

Having not watched the Sopranos in over 5 years, or Breaking Bad in 2-3, I'd have to go back and re-watch to give them fair grades as a series as a whole series rather than a season by season review.

*shrugs* simply my opnion.  I do my best to be as honestly critical when I can be but in the end it is simply my opinion.  I don't have a job as an entertainment critic (although I did write reviews for shows & movies for a University Newspaper for a year) so my reviews are simply more for myself.  What others think is immaterial since my goal is not to convince others - simply to share my thoughts.

10 hours ago, EmreY said:

I must confess, I still find it difficult to understand why channellers should duel with swords.  Perhaps in extremis, but why else?

Duel or train?

Duel... sport?

Train.... It is extremely beneficial for people to learn focus and discipline in a veriety of ways. LIke pro athletes doing yoga. 

Also, Aes Sedai find the need for swords.. which is why they have warders. 

Edited by Katherine

1 minute ago, ArrylT said:

Honestly, after listening to a podcast that specifically discusses what is involved in making a tv series, and how it relates to the Wheel of Time, I would say I am more firmly comfortable with that grade than I was before.  I was probably more of a 8.25/8.3 rounding up but now I can definitely say it is an 8.5.   And as someone who is currently watching S1 of The Witcher, when I go into comparing it to The Wheel of Time, I find it is lacking.   On its own it is enjoyable - but when doing a compare & contrast, The Wheel of Time is winning.   Obviously for others it will be different.   

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but as long as you pretend your opinion is fact, it will be hard to have a further discussion.   Regardless there are plenty of people who like/love the show while noting it is not perfect.   Whether you agree with where we rate the show is immaterial to me.    

It’s nothing to do with opinion…..It’s just not that good a show technically.

It’s nothing to do with liking it or not….

I liked my Renault Megane Scenic car, but I am aware that its quality isn’t great…It was a popular enough model that many people bought sold in high numbers and yet it wouldn’t rate more than a 4/10…Perhaps that shift in perspective helps? I loved the car! 

I had a friend who had an old Citreon 2CV she loved the car, but it was a piece of garbage that had little going for it she named it and cried when she gave it to her niece…But the car was a 2.5/10 at best….

Sword training is also an excellent way to maintain and improve physique, aerobic conditioning(is that a correct word?) etc. And if a channeler can't channel for some reason(stedding, burnt out, shielded, some other), they should be able to fight some other way. Aes Sedai have warders for that, men have themselves. Rand also learned the aiel way of hand-to-hand combat and it was useful during Dumai's Wells.

9 minutes ago, ArrylT said:

I am already on record that it was tough for me to get into GOT, and the first time I only got 3 episodes in.   So S1 of Game of Thrones probably gets a 8.0 to 8.3 for me.   

So a show you couldn't stand watching past 3 episodes ends up with an 8 out of 10?  Doesn't say much for the 8.5 you gave to WoT. What does it take to get a 5 out of 10?

9 minutes ago, Katherine said:

So at first I was with you and everyone else saying this is silly.... but then I thought about my personal behavior...... 

I will binge a show and then get... bored. Even good ones like Homeland just got old for me.

My husband and I were in the middle of watching The Sopranos (him for the first time) and we just left it one day. 

So maybe they are right?

But you wouldn’t look at a series, think “that looks fantastic, I really want to try that, it really looks like something I would really enjoy” then find out that it has just one single episode more  than you would feel comfortable watching  then say “nah I won’t bother watching then”.

I mean where is that line drawn?