DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Nostalgia viewing: old tv shows and films you recommend

Daenelia

There are lots of new tv shows to watch, too many to keep up. But we still manage to get some old shows in our viewing schedule. Right now we are watching the old BBC SF show Blake's 7, which aired in 1979/up to the early 1980s. I was a kid, but I remember a lot of it. Pretty good still, even if the show is just a little dated.

I also got my guy to watch another sf show from 1999-to early 2000s: Farscape. There are some overlapping themes between Blake's 7 and Farscape. And it is fun to find them. Basically, I had to really push Farscape because somehow it was not seen as interesting enough because they used puppets. But it works and the episodes are fantastic and fun. I'd recommend that show to anyone who likes science fiction.

Any surprising older series or films you'd recommend?

• Community Administrator

Babylon 5
Sliders (1995)
Six Feet Under

Pushing Daisies
Gargoyles (Animated Cartoon from Disney. Lots of King Arthur stuff)
The 4400
Warehouse 13

X-Files
Fringe
Millennium (1999)

I've heard great things about Twin Peaks, I just could never get into it.

Honestly I was always a big fan of Star Trek so a logical jump was Andromeda and SeaQuest DSV (i still him the themesong to this day)

Not groundbreaking but amusing in their own right. 

But then Andromeda drops you down the SorboHole which leads to Hercules which then leads to Xena: Warrior Princess lol

Right now my “old series” kick has me rewatching Buffy. Maaaaan this series aged poorly but Im still amused lol. 

Edited by CaddySedai

42 minutes ago, CaddySedai said:

Right now my “old series” kick has me rewatching Buffy. Maaaaan this series aged poorly but Im still amused lol. 

How did that town allow so much under aged drinking done so openly at a bar?!

For me, I always go back to Firefly and Star Treck: TNG.  One series I need to go back to is The Pretender.  I loved that show so much!  Watched every single episode with my folks growing up.

Also, anyone here used to watch News Radio?  Heavily underrated show and would have probably lasted longer if not for Phil Hartman's death.  It puts Joe Rogan in a whole new light and it was how I was introduced to Andy Dick, which led to me being blind sided by how horrible of a person he is compared to his character on the show.  Here is a picture of the cast so you get an idea of some the fantastic talent on there:

News Radio.jpg

Edited by thehumantrashcan

On 9/13/2021 at 5:56 PM, SinisterDeath said:

Babylon 5

X-Files

I've heard great things about Twin Peaks, I just could never get into it.

I loove Babylon 5. The effects may be outdated by today's standards (though they were state-of-the-art cgi at the time) and it is a bit theatrical compared to many shows in the genre today, but the characters.. oh my lord.. I have watched lots and lots of sci fi shows over the years, many great enjoyable ones, but I have yet to come across a sci fi series with such wonderful, memorable characters. The 5-year story arc was visionary too but the characters are what imo makes Babylon 5 a classic in the genre.

I am actually re-watching The X-Files as we speak. I have the Blu-ray Complete Series collection and kinda re-watch at least some seasons of it every year. I love this tv-series too, the mix of FBI crime investigation, the supernatural and government conspiracies is just up my alley. 

Twin Peaks is a great tv-series imo, very original in style (at least for its time) but it's one of those series which is not for everyone. A bit too weird for some viewers, David Lynch the man behind Twin Peaks makes unconventional tv-series and films. One has to take a look and see if it is to one's taste. Season 1 of Twin Peaks is the best though (the excitement to discover who killed Laura Palmer).

I see btw someone also mentioned Firefly and Farscape. These are also among my favourites in the genre. Firefly was cancelled after only 1 season (terrible decision since this was a quality series) but we could already see the potential in storybuilding (a movie called "Serenity" with the Firefly-crew came later). Farscape is another slightly quirky but fun tv-series as others also said. Some great characters there.

Let me also recommend a few other tv-series: J.A.G (great courtroom meets navy action drama series), Dempsey & Makepeace (a very enjoyable 80s UK police/crime drama series) and Picket Fences (wonderful slightly quirky drama-series).

I too 'juggle' watching new tv-series and re-watching old favourites, a bit of each most months. I do lose out on some newer tv-series as a result but it is a price I am willing to pay.

Edited by Elessar

8 minutes ago, Elessar said:

I loove Babylon 5. The effects may be outdated by today's standards (though they were state-of-the-art cgi at the time) and it is a bit theatrical compared to many shows in the genre today, but the characters.. oh my lord.. I have watched lots and lots of sci fi shows over the years, many great enjoyable ones, but I have yet to come across a sci fi series with such wonderful, memorable characters. The 5-year story arc was visionary too but the characters are what imo makes Babylon 5 a classic in the genre.

They recently remastered Babylon 5. The CGI is still.. crap. In part because apparently the original 3d assets were lost in a fire...

Oh yes, Firefly ? Farscape ? X-Files ? Buffy!  And I though I was the only one who ever watched The Pretender!!

I still need to watch Babylon 5 start to finish. I did see a few episodes here and there, but never really got stuck in. And I know I have to watch Twin Peaks, I figured when it came out I was just not ready for it.

I used to watch News Radio. It was funny. And I think I now know what the series Great News kinda reinded me of (though it is not the same, it does have a different tone).

As for Buffy, I think my nostalgia may colour my view a lot, but I watched it with a 14 year old a few years back and she was still very much taken with it. ... but then, I know all the lyrics to Once More With Feeling.

I also liked Xena a lot, and I keep thinking I may want to watch Hercules again, but then I have to get over my dislike of sorbo.

9 minutes ago, SinisterDeath said:

They recently remastered Babylon 5. The CGI is still.. crap. In part because apparently the original 3d assets were lost in a fire...

Yeah, I read it is being shown on HBO Max I think in upscaled Blu-ray quality. I have not watched the remastering but if it gets released on Blu-ray disc one day I will be the first in the queue to get it! (my Babylon 5 DVDs are treasured in my household).

I too (of course) wish the effects were better, but I don't really care tbh - as I said, the characters in that sci fi series are truly exceptional/wonderful and I would much much rather watch a tv-series with great characters and a great storyline but poor (in today's standard) effects than a series with fantastic cgi but one-dimensional generic characters and a generic storyline.

18 minutes ago, Daenelia said:

As for Buffy, I think my nostalgia may colour my view a lot, but I watched it with a 14 year old a few years back and she was still very much taken with it. ... but then, I know all the lyrics to Once More With Feeling.

I enjoyed Buffy too. How about Charmed (a bit in the same genre), did you enjoy that series? I liked Charmed but preferred the first 3 seasons (with the original cast).

Talking of enjoyable tv-series from the past: Boston Public is another one I enjoyed. A school-drama series with good acting and a lot of heart. Another one is Paradise (Guns of Paradise), an entertaining family-western series from back in the day.

15 minutes ago, Elessar said:

Yeah, I read it is being shown on HBO Max I think in upscaled Blu-ray quality. I have not watched the remastering but if it gets released on Blu-ray disc one day I will be the first in the queue to get it! (my Babylon 5 DVDs are treasured in my household).

I don't know anything about blu-ray for the remaster... The only downside to the remaster... is it's apparently stuck at 4:3.
https://www.space.com/babylon-5-remastered-streaming-amazon-itunes-hbo-max

17 minutes ago, Elessar said:

I too (of course) wish the effects were better, but I don't really care tbh - as I said, the characters in that sci fi series are truly exceptional/wonderful and I would much much rather watch a tv-series with great characters and a great storyline but poor (in today's standard) effects than a series with fantastic cgi but one-dimensional generic characters and a generic storyline.

100%. 
Just had to share that they didn't (couldn't) touch the graphics... and they can be quite jarring by todays standards. ? 

13 hours ago, Elessar said:

I enjoyed Buffy too. How about Charmed (a bit in the same genre), did you enjoy that series? I liked Charmed but preferred the first 3 seasons (with the original cast).

I did watch Charmed, but just the first season I think. It felt more like a soapy story with some witches thrown in, so I did not stick to it. I don't remember any standout episodes for me. Buffy just vibed with me on more levels. It certainly had its soapy moments...

Funny, isn't it, that some series get you and others, that you'd expect to be along the same line, don't? But I have come around to likng series I did not like when they started out. If I can get Charmed streaming somewhere, I might try it. I don't think it is currently on any service I have in The Netherlands.

• 3 months later...
On 9/13/2021 at 10:34 PM, thehumantrashcan said:

For me, I always go back to Firefly and Star Treck: TNG.  One series I need to go back to is The Pretender.  I loved that show so much!  Watched every single episode with my folks growing up.

My dad got me hooked on The Pretender. Such a wholesome show, at least from Jared's perspective.

Has anyone mentioned Battle Star Galactica with Edward James Olmos?

On 12/18/2021 at 6:32 PM, VooDooNut said:

My dad got me hooked on The Pretender. Such a wholesome show, at least from Jared's perspective.

Has anyone mentioned Battle Star Galactica with Edward James Olmos?

I havent watched it yet (but had the pleasure of meeting EJO) however my SO loves that show and has re-watched it several times.  Its on my to watch list - but so are so many shows.  ?

3 minutes ago, ArrylT said:

I havent watched it yet (but had the pleasure of meeting EJO) however my SO loves that show and has re-watched it several times.  Its on my to watch list - but so are so many shows.  ?

truth. It's really true of all genres these days, video games, music, movies, TV, the entertainment stream is constant. ?

That's so cool about meeting EJO! Bet he's a wise dude IRL.

• 2 years later...