DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Swords!!!!!!!

Pe Ell

If anyone out there has obscenely large amounts of money to spend, I found a website where you can buy Dragon Brooches or a heron-mark sword. That's all they sell from WoT but they have pages of LotR and other licensed products that are worth checking out for the rich among us.[/url]http://www.museumreplicas.com/webstore/BrowseProducts.aspx?SearchCriteria=__C__2997&GroupId=&CategoryId=&SubCategoryId=&ActionSource=LINK:9

nice... but the heron mark sword has a problem with its description

But today, the Heron Mark is a sign that the sword was made by a blademaster.

it should "made FOR a blademaster"

other than that... IT'S SOOOO COOL!!!

if i had that money id pay for them :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Guest LurkingFadeFetcher

Looks really cool!!

Couldn't help but wonder, Pe Ell, are you named after the assassin in the Druid of Shannara?

yeah, that one does look pretty cool. i wonder how battle ready it really is though.

i collect, but most of what i have are showpieces, which don't interest me much anymore. i like the real deal. it's just so damned expensive though to get something that's constructed like a real weapon, and not with glue and tin.

making them would be wicked cool. alys, you're so smart. :D this is why i like you.

*does that thing where you point to your head and then to the head of the person you're talking to, indicating that you think on the same wavelength as them, and which is a gesture which takes 1/10th of the time to execute that it does to describe, especially typing cuz that takes longer and now i can stop*

and if i had access to the facilities, that would be ultra-cool.

i have a friend studying in machining. i should put him to work.

shop tools and the cash for the metal... you might want extra cash for the mistakes you will make the first few times... :wink: seriously though, they aren't that hard. you just have to know your steel and have design ideas for the hilts.

(of course sir likes me because i am smart! i have very few other uses. ;) )

If anyone wants, my family is selling the iron works we had in Albuquerque. Its a 3rd generation shop, and my granddad passed away a few years ago. Its a mostly equipped shop with about a half acre attached, though there are some environmental issues with the land a house sunk into a sinkhole and the asbestos leeched a bit. :wink:

Sorry all.

My brother owns one of those, and I have to say, from a "usefullness in battle" standpoint, its crap. Its nice to hang on a wall and say "Oh, look at my heron-mark sword", but thats about it.

Sorry if I burst anyone's bubble there, but the buyer should beware. Its a full-sized toy, not a killing tool.

yeah, that was an assumption i'd made just based on the description, though they do try to make it sound "authentic." i think they use the words "this is a real sword." as opposed to an imaginary sword, i suppose, that statement would be true.

generally, online, it has to specifically use the term battle-ready, and even then...

some trouble... buyer should be glad there are full disclosure laws...

for mass production and that sort of thing, you will never find quality swords or knives. of course, those are the cheapest kind (with decoration), so you get what you pay for in a sense. i knew a guy who would play fight with his "real" sword with his friends, and one day... they were goofing off and a guy fell and bent his sword. from standing, they shouldn't bend.

almost all of them are cheap stainless steel, and yeah, mass produced at the lowest production cost.

i don't generally like those because (a) they're poorly made; blades will often rattle in the hilts and (2) i don't usually like gaudy weapons like most of those are. give me simple clean lines any day.

you're right alys; buy a $60 sword, and you've got a $60 sword. and any online purchase has that dubious quality, where you're not able to inspect the thing beforehand. i've bought good stuff online though. you can usually tell what's good and what' not.

Alys, most of the 'live' steel I see these days is all too hard and brittle, where did he get his sword? I've seen stuff that did that, and almost all of it hadn't been coked properly. I prefer softer metals in my working knives, since they become easier to sharpen and you can get a much thinner edge, even though you need to sharpen them constantly. Anyways, I'd like to see what that company has in the way of small blades.

I'm curious as to who prefers damscus steel vs one of the gokaden steels, or some other manufacturing method.

yeah, you want a hilt that isn't just screwed in. try to get something that was made with a hilt that continues until the end of the pommel, but has the decoratives laid over... if you even understand what i mean.

i think so, your saying, you want quality, with the good looks!

yeah' date=' you want a hilt that isn't just screwed in. try to get something that was made with a hilt that continues until the end of the pommel, but has the decoratives laid over... if you even understand what i mean.[/quote']

yeah, with the tang going all the way down to the pommel, and as wide as possible.

tenshin, i so wish i had the know-how to conduct that conversation with you, you have no idea. buy your knowledge obviously exceeds my own. i wish i could make stuff like that....

gokaden were the five major styles of sword making in Japan. Damascus steel is more or less the middle eastern equivalent. I've heard that modern damascus steel isn't the real deal, but don't know much about the smithing of it. I have a few knives that are made from it, and they are both absolutely gorgeous and VERY tough. I even went so far as to mount one in a elk antler I worked over. I'll see if I can post a picture at somepoint.

whooops, i forgot sir pm'ed me... going to check in a moment. and yes, tang is the word i was looking for. i hate it when the proper words escape me. *grumbles*

i don't know much about the manufacture of the steel, but i do know that swords shouldn't be as soft as knives. They also shouldn't snap without massive force (such as the hardest of death blows).

my husband wants an old, old, old folded sword.

Archived