DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

5 reasons to stay (mostly) with EotW for Season 1

I would disagree, for a few reasons.  For one, it's called the Eye of the World, but where's the eye?  Eyes are for seeing, but nothing about the Eye in the books has anything to do with revealing, showing or otherwise making apparent, anything at all, really.  It's a pool of saidin that's concealing a seal of the Dark One's prison, the Dragon's banner, and the Horn of Valere.  And it is itself concealed in a bizarre way.  It may as well be called the Navel of the World as the Eye.

And Moiraine's justification for suddenly switching destinations is...thin, to say the least.  A years-old rumor and a few bad dreams.  There's no reasone to think that the threat to the Eye is imminent, and indeed, the Forsaken only find it at all because of tracking Mat's dagger.  If the Emond's Field gang hadn't gone, it would still have been hidden.

I've said it before, and I'll likely say it again.  TEotW is a good intro to the characters and their origins and personalities.  But it's plot is weird and confusing, with a lot of early-bookisms and plot holes that could stand to be cleared up.  Personally, I'd rather see a badass Tarwin's Gap scene where Rand does stuff on a scale we don't really see again until he's holding Callandor, or at Maradon, than some scaled back version so we don't have to deal with inconsistent abilities and Power levels.

1 hour ago, Thrasymachus said:

I would disagree, for a few reasons.  For one, it's called the Eye of the World, but where's the eye?  Eyes are for seeing, but nothing about the Eye in the books has anything to do with revealing, showing or otherwise making apparent, anything at all, really.  It's a pool of saidin that's concealing a seal of the Dark One's prison, the Dragon's banner, and the Horn of Valere.  And it is itself concealed in a bizarre way.  It may as well be called the Navel of the World as the Eye.

And Moiraine's justification for suddenly switching destinations is...thin, to say the least.  A years-old rumor and a few bad dreams.  There's no reasone to think that the threat to the Eye is imminent, and indeed, the Forsaken only find it at all because of tracking Mat's dagger.  If the Emond's Field gang hadn't gone, it would still have been hidden.

I've said it before, and I'll likely say it again.  TEotW is a good intro to the characters and their origins and personalities.  But it's plot is weird and confusing, with a lot of early-bookisms and plot holes that could stand to be cleared up.  Personally, I'd rather see a badass Tarwin's Gap scene where Rand does stuff on a scale we don't really see again until he's holding Callandor, or at Maradon, than some scaled back version so we don't have to deal with inconsistent abilities and Power levels.

There are many easy explanations for it being called tEOTW.

1. The pool of saidin is the eye within the sanctuary

2. The eye of the world is an oasis surrounded by the blight, so it is the eye of the blight similar to the eye of a hurricane,

3. You only see the Eye in cases of extreme need

4. It is the last view ("eye") into the Age of Legends

5. It is the place where the Dragon Reborn is first truly seen, prophecy or not. Prophecies can't be omniscient or someone would have just offed Rand 15 years earlier

6. The eye is the first place that Rand sees saidin uncorrupted stemming from light and the true power connected to the dark  

7. The eye is the first place we see that the forsaken are free

I could go on probably but I think that's enough.

What is it that you don't want to see instead of Tarwins Gap

Also again Moiraine consistently says that anything the dark one wants she opposes:

1. All of the boys have Ishamael telling them that they will not control the eye

2. Jain Farstrider told the Ogier that the Dark one wanted the eye

3. The aiel came to say the Dark one wanted the eye

When Moiraine hears all that she realizes it can't be coincidence and realizes she needs to go there, even if not exactly sure why

Tarwins Gap is important because it stops a second trolloc war, brings spring. and deals such a blow to the Dark One that the blight actually recedes. It is in my view incredibly important.

On 7/8/2020 at 1:55 PM, Elder_Haman said:

Besides, what fan of the books wouldn't want Season 1 to end with Padan Fain escaping with the Horn?

I'm gonna raise my hand for this. 

A stolen macguffin cliffhanger is a low hanging fruit and far from a memorable final.

My wish would be for something like, Rand/Loial/Hurin coming across the Trolloc statue where the Artur Hawkwing one should have been and realizing they're in a version of reality where the Shadow won. Even the Seanchan setting sail at Falme and beginning their conquest would be epic. 

Edited by Carebear Sedai

Guest Lockhaven
4 hours ago, johnnysd said:

When Moiraine hears all that she realizes it can't be coincidence and realizes she needs to go there, even if not exactly sure why

You could have her still deciding whether to stop in Tar Valon while in the Ways and then have her decision made for her by broken bridges and the approach of the Black Wind.

On 7/24/2020 at 5:03 PM, Carebear Sedai said:

A stolen macguffin cliffhanger is a low hanging fruit and far from a memorable final.

I'm certain it could be memorable. And chilling.

Fain mumbling in his way in the corner of his cell in Fal Dara.  He hears chains clinking the lock on his door turns. The door opens.

"Oh, I didn't expect you..." says Fain. Cut to the other side of the door. There's a hand holding the keys and you see a great serpent ring. Cut to black.