DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

How does this Ta'veren thing work anyhow?

Paladin

I have been wondering about the 3 Tav'veren.

How does it work?

The one thing that I have seen that all 3 have in common is drawing what they need toward them.

Rand - when Rand starts contemplating the cleansing of Saidin & how to defeat the DO

Herrid Fell shows up. a philosopher who just happens to know the answers.

Mat - He is alone & on the run with half the Seanchan army after him when The Band of the Red Hand shows up with Rapid fire crossbows.

Perrin - Meets up with a Seanchan officer who just happens to know where the largest cache of forkroot in Randland is just when he needs to confront a few hundred Shaido wise ones.

And thier individual effects

Mat = Lucky - at gambling, battle luck & just plain lucky. (Falling 2 stories off a biulding and landing on top of a badguy without losing your quarterstaff or getting hurt)

Perrin = Leadership - Perrin says "Why dont we go to the village?" and everyone in the Two Rivers goes "Go to the village. Great Idea. Lets all do whatever the guy with the yellow eyes says from now on."

Rand = ? - I just cannot figure out if Rand has a specific Ta'veren effect.

I have been wondering about the 3 Tav'veren.

How does it work?

The one thing that I have seen that all 3 have in common is drawing what they need toward them.

Rand - when Rand starts contemplating the cleansing of Saidin & how to defeat the DO

Herrid Fell shows up. a philosopher who just happens to know the answers.

The big one I think was the original 9 Aes Sedai who swore to him' date=' which indirectly led to like 20 more swearing to him.

Mat - He is alone & on the run with half the Seanchan army after him when The Band of the Red Hand shows up with Rapid fire crossbows.

Perrin - Meets up with a Seanchan officer who just happens to know where the largest cache of forkroot in Randland is just when he needs to confront a few hundred Shaido wise ones.

I think getting Suroth's letter was a far greater stroke.

And thier individual effects

Mat = Lucky - at gambling, battle luck & just plain lucky. (Falling 2 stories off a biulding and landing on top of a badguy without losing your quarterstaff or getting hurt)

They all have increadable luck, but Mat is the only one who makes a point of profitting from it.

Perrin = Leadership - Perrin says "Why dont we go to the village?" and everyone in the Two Rivers goes "Go to the village. Great Idea. Lets all do whatever the guy with the yellow eyes says from now on."

They all have leadership as well, Talmanes has commented on having been willing to follow Mat shortly after meeting him.

Rand = ? - I just cannot figure out if Rand has a specific Ta'veren effect.

Rand has luck and leadership to a far greater degree than the others, he is able to lead the strongest personalities without too much of an issue. Due to his "excessive ta'verenness" he also screws with chance for miles around him.

Rand's effect is the visible bending of chance. The end of the blood fued between the Sharaad and Goshien Aiel after generations just because he happened to be sitting there with the two clan chiefs. Or the guy who survives Couladin's attack on one of the Cairhienin border towns only to trip over nothing on flat ground and break his neck.

Since this thread is so convenient, and, in truth, related to my own questions, I'm going to throw out a few queries here that have been bothering me.

1. Can ta'veren be of the Dark? I have looked for clues to this, and can't seem to find any references. Now, it seems heavily, heavily implied that ta'veren are put into place to sway the Pattern back towards the Light when the Dark becomes too influential, but I cannot find anything that says definitively that the Dark cannot have ta'veren. Or is the Dark One himself "ta'veren" enough for the Shadow?

2. If a person who is in the Light, and is ta'veren, is converted to the Dark, do they lose their ta'veren status? Does the Pattern remove this 'ability' in order to keep balance?

Any input on these would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

There is an interview with RJ posted on wotmania.com

that deals with this particular question. I will try to find the link & post it here. What I do remember him saying is that it would be possible for a DF to become a Ta'veren if the pattern needed it to keep the balance. Also Ta'verenness is not permanent, it the pattern turns existing people,into Ta'veren when it needs to and when thier function is fulfilled they stop being Ta'veren.

Archived