DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Favourite RPG

Durinax

So I was wondering what peoples favourite RPGs are and maybe a few reasons why if your so inclined.

So far my all-time favourite is Arcanum, mostly because it had an engaging story that was religion driven, how the bad guy was revealed, as well as the bad guys reasoning, the end credits roll summarized how you changed the world during your play through, being able to choose technology or magic or neither as well as a more robust persuasion system that made combat less important. All in all the sheer customization it gave you was insane, as well as being more than few philosophical subjects being spun around there. Even the manual that came with the game was written like a scientific manual! All in all the game was fantastic!

My second place would have to be Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. Although this world is dead now too as far as I know as well.......

My second place would have to be Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. Although this world is dead now too as far as I know as well.....

I started playing that awhile ago. It was fun for a bit, but then I got a bit bored. I guess i'm not overly good with open world. I mean I had the same issue with Skyrim and I enjoyed that as well. LOL Just got bored pretty quick. 

My fave game of all time is probably a tie between FFX, Assassins Creed, and Dragon Age. I love pretty much everything about FFX, clearly as Lulu is and has been and always will be my face here on DM. Assassins Creed is just generally fun and probably the first game I was able to one up my brother on. Dragon Age is just so fun that I play it whenever I'm down and in need of a pick me up. I don't know how many times i've played the game so far. I'm sure I"ll play it many more times before I'm done with it. *laughs* 

I think a close second to the above is Kingdom Hearts II. I really love that game, it's Disney and FF together whcih really what could be better? LOL 

• 4 weeks later...

Mine is Avalon; a text based MUD that's been online since 1989. The mission statement of this game is to immerse players into a fully realised world, complete with autonomous player governments, a detailed warfare system (literally you can dig trenches, tunnels, use landmines, water transports, barricades, fortifications and mortar rounds) in which anything is possible and the most complex PVP system I've ever seen in a game. Being text, some of the technological limits and graphical limits obviously don't apply to this type of game and the sky is the limit - I've seen some wacky stuff going in, currently the Creator is designing NPCs that play like players with a highly developed AI using the same rules as players.

• Community Administrator

NWN 1&2 (bioware and obsidian)+all the expansions.

FF6/7/10-2 were pretty instrumental towards my love of RPGs.

Morrowind was my first open world western RPG, and I loved every moment of it.

*forgot*

Xenosaga 1-3 were great.. story wise. Gameplay 1 & 2 suck.

Phantasy Star 4 is one of my favorites. Hard without being frustrating and if you don't play it for a while you can even use the talk function to remind you where you were.

It had macros you could program your teams actions and could combine skills to do more powerful skills, though it had the weirdest names for things.

Betrayal at Krondor is definitely number 1  :wink:  A game from 1993.A great story, characters and the open world and freedom of exploration. It was something new back in the days.

As far as more modern titles are concerned, definitely both Witchers, but especially the first one. For the amazing atmosphere, brilliant chapter IV, mature plot, nice blend of seriousness and humour, witty dialogue and giving the player the chance to make meaningful choices in a world that was neither black nor white. And Shani, my childhood crush  :wink:

Archived