DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Chat Thread - Official BotRH Beer Club

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, I love the craft beer scene around here right now.

UhW9nsH.jpg

The Evil Twin Tørst Front Room was off the hook - if you're into American Barleywines. It tasted like a 2 year old §ucaba/Abacus.

The Rushing Duck De Levende Doden was a solid beer as well. But I was just blown away by the Tørst.

I would be paralysed with indecision before buying one of everything. Except the Femme Fatale ones, I had the yuzo one and was not a fan.

I wasn't a big fan of Yin or Yang either. But when these guys get one right? They GET IT RIGHT.

When in doubt, go with the Mikkeller. That said, Allagash is a SUPER solid brewery. I'm a fan of the Allagash Black for a very different stout experience. I'm a big fan of the Allagash White in the Summer for a great easy drinker. Their Dubbel and Tripel are okay but nothing to write home about. Those are the ones you can typically find at places like Trader Joes.

I remember REALLY like Odyssey - but can't recall which one it was [yeah. it was one of THOSE nights!]. Also the Confluence and Curieux are expensive but worth the sort of steep price tag to have when you just need a FINE bottle of PREMIUM beer.

I will have to look them up whenever I get a chance. The friend I mentioned is based in New York so those beers definitely aren't local to me.

Also I'd like to show off my shiny new website that I finished making like 2 minutes ago (though there'll be tweaks for sure)

http://www.dukeofbrew.com

Basically this is where I'm going to chronicle all of my beer related adventures, going to breweries, making my own beer, reviewing various beers, etc. This will include my advent calendar as I drink it next month.

So yeah, bookmark it or whatever, and feel free to comment on my posts.

Not to be a jerk buuuuuuut...... This happened tonight...

X7EmLKml.jpg

In order of least favorite to favorite?

1. Allagash Nancy [2013]: It had an overwhelming chlorophenolic taste right up front that was difficult to get past [think: licking the back of a band aid].

2. Bells Venus: It was an okay beer [better than Krak would let you believe] that was a bit tart with some notes of apricot. The supposed vanilla and cardamom were nowhere to be found, though.

3. Lost Abbey Red Poppy [2013] the third sour beer of the night. Another decent beer with some typical sour cheery juice flavor. Honestly, this is a bit over rated and certainly not the 100 point beer ratebeer seems to think it is but it's a decent substitute for a wine in a pairing with a steak.

4. Alchemist Heady Topper [2013]: Okay. This beer has been sitting in my fridge since May of last year and has all these statements about how you need to drink it fresh. IMO, it tasted better today than it did fresh. A lot of that harshness has mellowed but the hop bouquet is still prevalent in the pour. The malts are much more balanced now that the hops have settled a bit and it was quite a treat. There's a residual sweetness now that wasn't there when this beer was young and I'm digging it.

5. Sierra Nevada Ovila [2013]: Seriously. Go buy this beer NOW. I can't remember the last time I had my socks knocked off like this. What an AMAZING take on an Abbey Quad! It's like St Bernardus ABT 12 - but even better! The sweet plum notes are just icing on the cake for a WONDERFUL take on a Belgian Monk beer. This beer is just amazing at 1 year old. I have a 2nd bottle. I can't guarantee it will make it to year 2! Just a head and shoulders above the rest.

Hey Yates, did you ever get a chance to look at that recipe I shared in PM? We're redoing it next weekend (with some minor changes) and I was wondering at your thoughts on it.

D'oh! Not yet! I'll look at it in the morning. Promise.

It's a "Black Friday" draft beer event at a local gastropub, and they're serving 2014 Bourbon County Stout, Prairie Bomb!, imperial Doughnut Break, Founder's Dark Penance, Ballast Point Black Martin, highland Dirty Little Totch (toasted coconut sweet stout aged in rum barrels brewed by a friend of mine), Stone smoked porter a/ chocolate and orange, Terrapin Moo-Hoo, Terrapin Moo-HooChiatto, and 2013 Creme Brûlée.

Yeah, Bcb Stout is pretty rad even without any age on it.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been sort of avoiding this thread so as not to be a braggart but damn if this isn't too good to mention!

I'll take some pics when I get home but I just picked up my annual case of Bourbon County Stout [now have a 4 year vertical!] when the guy behind the counter told me he had two special bottles set aside for me.

1. Bourbon County Coffee Stout
2. Bourbon County Barleywine

SQUEE!

My beer store loves me more than my wife right now [i *may* have gone slightly over my beer budget   :blush: ].

Archived