DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A Thousand Words

Wren of the Brown

Let's keep this going through July (Gleeman's month!)!!

The stars glittered over the small shire of Forth Castle. It was early in the month and there was no garish moon to make the stars fade. They shone, in all their glory, as Melinda snuck out of her bedroom window. She dropped to the ground, stifled a giggle, and dashed off for the trees.

Gillian was dancing by the largest tree, an oak that had seen many generations of girls just like these slip out of bed on a new moon. It rustled its leaves in greeting as Melinda caught up to Gillian and feel quiet as the girls hurried across the meadow beyond.

Then grass was tall this time of year, since the sheep had been sent to graze further west for the month. The girls easily stamped down a circle to create a mattress of grass and flung themselves on the ground.

After a few minutes, Gillian sat up, pinning Melinda with her eyes. "I wish you were my sister," she whispered, not wanting to disturb the stillness of the night. "We are leaving tomorrow. Father believe he can grow his crops better further north in Drakenmere. If you were my sister, we would be together."

Melinda closed her eyes before sitting up. "Do you mean it?" She asked without opening her eyes.

"More than anything!" Gilliam breathed.

"I can do that," Melinda said, drawing a small knife from her pocket. "I can make us sisters. Then, no matter how far away you are, we can be together."'

Gillian thrust her hand out without hesitation. Melinda slashed her own palm, then Gillian's. She whispered a spell and felt her blood heat up in her veins as the magic settled into her. Gillian hissed as it settled in her own skin.

"There," Melinda smiled. "We'll never be apart again..."

Archived