DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Anyone else find it odd that Moridin's body was allowed to go free?

Pandemonium

There was so much going on that I doubt they even thought about a guard for Moridin's body. Here's the thing. If we assume that Rand was still in his own body when he left the cave, then it can almost be presumed that Moridin was in even worse shape since Rand had to carry him out. With Rand dying (his body), there wouldn't be much thought to watching over Moridin's body at first because he was in bad enough shape to begin with when Rand carried him out.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest arjie

Guys, how about this? It was Moridin's body that carried Rand out. That's why they Heal them both. Rand was in Moridin's body at that point. That's why they're so relaxed about this almost all powerful Forsaken.

They probably didn't care overly much imo.  Rand had just sealed away the Dark One again and everyone was busy mourning the Dragon and giving thanks for his sacrifice and their continued existence.  Also, Cadsuane knowing the truth and becoming the next Amyrlin Seat could probably explain a lack of effort in tracking him down afterwards.

• 7 years later...

IMO Nynaeve at this point already knows Rand is alive and has put 2 and 2 together. She knows he is bonded to Min and Min has not gone into crazy “I’ve lost my Warder / Channeler (they don’t know the direction of the bond)” mode. Nynaeve is not a lady to give up a suspicion that quickly and she was suspicious. By extension therefore, Lan and probably Moiraine know as well so they basically arranged for him to be left “alone” during the funeral - pretending to have a guard but not having one kind of thing. That as far as I understand it is the very reason that Cadsuane is suspicious - there are no guards around the tent of a forsaken… 

I've always thought the Harem, Nyn, and Moiraine knew about the body swap by the time Rand awoke in his new body. Cadsuane knew something was up but with Rand's old, dead body in hand, she didn't know what it could be. 

As for why not guard "Moridin" - he wasn't a threat they could see. In the old interview database, RJ specifically was quoted saying that channeling required a body and soul both that could do it (subject to certain things the DO could do when he transmigrated dead forsaken into new bodies). Moridin, that I remember, never touches Saidin on screen. He uses the TP exclusively. I don't think the body had the OP channeling ability. He can touch the TP because the DO grants him access. The AS and Ashaman present don't sense a channeler, so they just see a guy who wakes up and leaves. Also, when Rand wakes, he can't channel Saidin anymore because the body he's in lacks the spark.

Edited by Yellowbeard