DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Blacklist

redarm

It's green-lit through the spring at least (filming the next 10 eps now), ratings are probably good enough for more seasons. Granted this is the network that keeps threatening to drop Parks and Rec after all...but I'm not that up on recent nbc drama (outside Hannibal--which is dumb but has people actually acting as well as gorgeous set design and decent camera work).

Figuring out what networks will do is a fool's game, but with a woman as the focus character (at least she's white) and the show needing more $ to produce than reality show 435123, any tiny thing going wrong (or any ratings blip) and it's canceled. Granted I knock the acting a lot, but it might be direction or production design that doesn't work, it doesn't mean the actors are horrible, maybe there's other stuff they're good in but they aren't good in this :)

I don't keep up with the drama too much, I had been a today show watcher for years, and I was there when all of the stuff first started happening. It's sad, but I just see them trying to pick up the pieces and fix everything now. They should hire a consultant that is just an average person to help them - they just make bad choice after bad choice and I just think they are drowning now and trying to bail out with baskets filled with holes. 

Anyway - I haven't seen Hanibal. Is it any good? I think in today's society, television will be changing how they do ratings. Or at least they should - you mentioned parks and rec, but there are tons of examples of shows that shouldn't have been cancelled, and shows that stay on too long, based on a very archaic rating system. 

Hannibal is a stupid murder procedural with about 10 minutes of great unrelated to plot stuff thrown in. It's gorgeous http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2243973/mediaindex?page=1&ref_=ttmi_mi_sm (image gallery), well acted and the FBI isn't quite as dumb as here (but plot still needs them to be dumb a lot). There's a thread on it in this forum. I wouldn't worry about watching out of order or missing eps, you already know the story anyway (the last 3 eps are on hulu).

No matter how badly you think Hollywood or the networks are run, something leaks out that makes them look still dumber and more capricious :)

• 1 month later...

Finding this show harder and harder to watch... The main story arc is just so bland and the sub plots are incredibly slow moving and not enough to hold my interest... I'm gonna need something interesting to happen in a few episodes or I think I'm done... Shame cause I love Alan Alda, and Spader has been great...

• 2 months later...

Well, to be fair, they introduced it already, it's just taken this long for the strings to be put to use.

IMO it seems to be a common problem with first seasons... they either burn their ideas/plot too quickly, or they barely get to it at all. I almost always give a show the entire first season (and a bit into the second)  before I decide to watch it or not.

Archived