DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Dome on CBS Mondays 10/9c.

SinisterDeath

Just saw the first episode... Too early to say yay or nay... They certainly threw out a crap load of story line to cover so it shouldn't get boring.... It just better not go all loopy like "Lost" did.

• Community Administrator

I really hope, that someone in this show attempts to dig below the dome... I mean.. wouldn't that be retarded, if no one tried? Hell, from what we've seen of the dome.. It looks like it simply fell and only penetrated around a  half a foot or so...

Either way, we know that oxygen can't penetrate the dome, because sound can't go through it.

So... From a science point of view they are all going to.. Well, Die. :tongue:

There can be no weather in that dome.

No Rain. (makes water collection more difficult)

Its going to act like a giant green-house...

They should bake to death. (should be kind of toasty in winter!)

Oxygen Generation, I believe they are screwed in this department...

Food-Generation.

Cattle is... not going to work long term. After day 1, riots will most definitely happen. People will get hungry by day 3 or 4 when food starts to run out. Once supplies run out, and either the idiots eat everything, or the smart ones, hoard/save up all the dried veggies for long-term use. Cattle will be the first thing to go. Then People.

Agriculture.. At most, they have 6,000 acres of land (domes 20k feet tall, DPi^2 = Area. :wink:)..

If you consider they only have a limited supply of gasoline. They  would have to revert to farming by hand tools... Which will reduce yield on anything not done by machine.. (and they would most likely only use current farms, as clearing more land would take more time & energy then any of them have)

Not that I think they would last that long. If each episode is a day..... I think by episode 4 or 5, cannibalism will hit full force.

have this on the DVR, didn't get to watch it yet.

SD - so long as they have a decent amount of trees then oxygen shouldn't be an issue. 

population vs resources is a major issue though, so population control should be the first thing on most peoples minds.  if i were in that city, i'd be finding a nice place to hide for the next 3-4 weeks while the panic and crap happens.

have this on the DVR, didn't get to watch it yet.

SD - so long as they have a decent amount of trees then oxygen shouldn't be an issue.

population vs resources is a major issue though, so population control should be the first thing on most peoples minds. if i were in that city, i'd be finding a nice place to hide for the next 3-4 weeks while the panic and crap happens.

Remember, the dome stops all air out from going in, or vice versa.

If they had forests... perhaps.

Food wise, they population control, would require culling..

I don't think food will be a big a deal as it seems. This is a small town with plenty of farm land and now people with nothing but survival on the mind. Food being pretty important to survival I'd say everyone would be willing to tribute to raising food. Most people will probably have small gardens to supplement whatever the community can raise. Seeing as how it's a small country town air won't be a problem I saw a lot of trees, and seeing as how they'll run out of gas soon the plants will only have to convert the CO2 from the people breathing. The weather will be interesting. The dome, depending on how big it is, could allow for weather patterns. At worst we know moisture adheres to the dome so they'll get condensation if the interior temp varies to much from the outer temp.

Depends on the number of people in the area... they probably consider a small town as sub 10k.

After a week.. no gas. (But plenty of propane)

Which will compound food issues...

• 1 month later...

yeah i have to agree with Soy.  one thing the show does every well is for every question it answers, it poses 3 more. 

though the down side is that only a few of the characters are likable or relatable imo.

Archived