DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

That there choice RP...

Maurelle

So, I think I have an excellent idea for a choice RP, but need a little help ironing it out. :smile:

Tywin is a bit of a klepto. It comes from growing up on the streets and having thievery as his primary means of income. There are lots of shiny things in the Tower and he really needs to be broken of this habit. I think it would be a good idea for him to be caught in the act (not necessarily having stolen something as I do believe he would be expelled for that), but perhaps trying to get into a room he shouldn't be in or some such. He should have to confess to have the issue and he should have a punishment of some kind that would deter him from ever doing it without a good reason. Ideas?

How about getting into a room he shouldn't be in to get something that he has a plausible reason for needing and swiping something else in the process? 

For example, he could be sent in to get... I don't know, throwing knives from a small weapons closet in someone's room, see a jewel-hilted daggar and take that, too? It would be relatively obvious who did it, which would get him caught, but some of the blame would land on the person who sent him in there in the first place. That person would then pass that back to him in the form of a punishment. 

I suck with punishments that would be bad enough to keep him from doing it again. Does he have something valuable, more of a personal value than a monetary one, that could be stolen from him? Would that be enough or would it just make him angrier? Maybe the punishment would be that it wasn't stolen, it was given to the person he stole from and only returned when he earned it back? (TG Ceremony, perhaps, though he might not know that?) He'd have to refrain of thievery in order to not get kicked out of the Yard in order to get raised high enough to earn it back if he did know...

Sorry, just throwing stuff out. Feel free to ignore all of that. ;) 

I kinda like the whole stealing something from a room he was supposed to be in. It makes the theft more plausible. I really would like him to take something from an Aes Sedai (or at least try to).

I was thinking that maybe he could get taken down to the super special ter'angreal in the Tower basement and shown how it was used as part of his punishment. That would be more than enough to discourage me and I could see it having a real impact on him. I know that he'll likely be watched way more closely after the theft and think that would be a good part of his punishment as well.

I doubt that the WT folks would approve of the ter'angreal room idea. They are more likely to just pile on mundane chores and inject misery and regret for 10 years of your life which to them, is only a blink of an eye.

Why try to do it all at once though? You can spread it out - make it more serious this first RP and then chip at it little by little as you progress your character. Coraman, my TG, has a fear of Aes Sedai and I'm just taking my sweet fun time torturing her with her fear and helping her get over it. ;)

What is Tywin's vice? For example, dragons loves gold and shinies. Does he steal just to steal?

And you can go ahead and actually steal something. You wouldn't get expelled from the Yards but there would be a punishment, the severity of it depending who Tywin stole from. I came from the Punishment Era of DM and sought out trouble purposely just to see what punishments were doled out. I got a few ideas, trust me. :)

I hope it wouldn't be 10 years :facepalm:, though I wouldn't be adverse to putting him back in training for a period.

He steals for a couple of reasons. Growing up it was the only way he could feed or clothe himself, so he never developed that sense of it being wrong not to take what he wanted from another person. He isn't doing it to be malicious. It's also an impulse control issue. He sees it, wants it, determines how to take it, does so. He likes to take things that have meaning right now because he doesn't have to fence things to feed himself. It's also a way for him to feel close to his father, who was a thief. I could see him taking a music box (an old fashion crank one that would be worth a lot like a clock). He loves music because of his mother.

I also like the idea of chipping away at it. It would be great if a way could be found for him to keep in practice with his skills (teaching tower guards and warders how to spot and counter thieves?), because I could see it being a desirable skill to the Aes Sedai who bonds him. To me this is mostly about him taming his impulses and perhaps having an actual conversation with an Aes Sedai.

I like your idea about teaching trainees and tower guards - it can be considered as stealth.

You can try pitching your idea on the WT OOC board to see if any AS bites, this is a Warders only board ;) It'd have to be in the Yards though as trainees aren't allowed out into Tar Valon. (You could go but you'd be caught and brought back to Kilrin) :p

I figured, what's a worse punishment than being stuck trying to teach something that comes as natural as breathing to others?

Yay! I shall go politely petition.

Reki  would take the class, though i am sure he would feel disgust over being taught by a thief... he is Arafallin, so he has honor issues, and cannot fathom why people would steal... a street rat himself, he would sympathize with that kind of hardship though... lol!