DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

We Are The Music Makers and We Are The Dreamers of Dreams (Attn Winter & Kronos)

Taymist

“Rhya! Do you know where Owen is?” the call, pitched to carry across the open expanse in front of the Infirmary, came from Aislyn and halted Rhya’s progress abruptly. It seemed the bow practice she was intent on would have to wait a while longer.

Aislyn’s voice held no hint of urgency but with a Sage you simply never could tell, so Rhya wasted no time in changing course. Her long legs covering the intervening distance quickly, she spoke as she reached the foot of the Infirmary steps,”He was training as usual this morning but I expect he’ll be dealing with some of those mountains of paperwork on his desk at the Barracks by now. Would you like me to take him a message?”

Aislyn smiled, a knowing glint appearing in her eyes. Rhya needed little excuse to go in search of Owen or to interrupt something as mundane as paperwork. “If you would, that would save me so much time. We’re in the middle of checking our cellar stock and I really cannot afford to be absent in the middle of that,” the older woman confided. “Jon and Jace both need their Dream training taken care of. Jon’s should have been done weeks ago but I’ve been so short handed here that I only had time to give a few basic warnings. If Owen has the time...though I know how busy he is too...”

“No need to trouble Owen with that. I’ll take the class. We were just discussing this the other day. It’s past time I was taking a share of the teaching when you’re both loaded down with plenty of other business. You get back to your cellar and I’ll go find my pupils. Are they still in their rooms?”

Aislyn nodded slowly, in thoughtful agreement with Rhya’s pronouncement. “That’s not such a bad idea. It will be good practice for you too. I’m afraid both of those young men left the building hours ago. I daresay it wouldn’t do any harm to check the Hole in the Wall first.”

Waving an airy farewell, Rhya turned her steps in the direction of Wall’s fine establishment hoping that she wouldn’t have to hunt the entire Stedding for the pair. The weather had been holding fair for the last few days which in turn was encouraging people to spend more time outside. If their wolves were hunting, the lads could be anywhere...

(OOC: Guys if you can do an intro post each, doesn't have to be too long, just describing where you are and what you're up to, what you're thinking about etc. Bear in mind Jace is still resident at the Infirmary. Winter, I can't find any reference to where you're living so I assumed you're still living there too unless you prefer to have taken up residence somewhere else by now.

It's up to you two whether you want to be at the Hole in the Wall - our local Ogier built drinking establishment for Jace's benefit - or somewhere else. I'll have her find you both in the next post as long as I know where to send her.)

Jonathan Winterwinds sat on a bench outside the Hole in the Wall relaxing after spending the majority of his morning in the Infirmary aiding with the chores around there. It was the least he could do after taking up a bed there for as long as he had. While he sat he sharpened his sword, slowly, and with a slightly more practiced hand then when he had first chosen the blade.

He had taken care of it all this time, keeping it sharp, and practiced in his spare time. Though the spare time was far and few between these days, and Owen was rarely able to teach classes on swordsmanship, nor were many others around the Stedding. In fact, save for a few people like himself, many had vanished as of late. Going to other places to do as wolves do, wander around the world, hunt, and explore for the sheer joy of being in the open air. Him and Forest though, they had stayed here and settled down for the most part. They were thinking of perhaps finding a house of their own or even building something for themselves.

Winter leaned towards the building of one. He wanted to be able to say he'd created something with his own hands, It would be more than any of his former merchant family could lay claim to, at least in his and his parents' generations. It simply would be fitting too for his new life, making his new home with his own hands.

Perhaps a nice warm fireplace for Forest to settle down in front of, with some chairs for him and guests to sit in. And books, lots of bookshelves. He had read many of the books in the Infirmary's small collection already, and he figured when he was allowed to leave the Stedding, he'd find a way to bring more books back, some for a private collection, some for others.

The sound of footsteps coming up towards the Hole in the Wall didn't immediately make him look up, but the scent that drifted over on a quick gust did.

Looking up and putting his sword back into its leather sheath he smiled at Rhya.

"Hey! Rhya, been a while since our paths last crossed. You in a hurry or would you like to stay and chat a while?" His voice was, as always, warm and happy. "If not, perhaps at a later date over lunch or something?"

And there he would sit until Rhya gave him an answer, warm smile on his face.

~Winterwinds

Friends, always fun to chat with.

Jace Maren sat in his room relaxing. He stood up and stretched. Searching out River, he found she was in the woods with some other wolves. Most likely she was hunting and Jace thought he would take the time to go on a walk and stretch his legs.

Jace hadn't been in the Stedding long and had only met a few people. All of the wolfkin were very welcoming now that it was known that he wasn't a danger to them. Jace grabbed his hat as he left his room and the Infirmary.

Blinking a bit as he left, Jace took a moment to smell the air. He of course picked up more smells than he would have before, but he was getting used to that. Jace looked around the Stedding and his eyes caught a man in the distance sitting outside the Hole in the Wall sharpening a sword. Jace had seen the man around the Infirmary but hadn't really spoken to him.

His name is...Jon...maybe? Jace thought, scratching his head. Perhaps I'll go introduce myself.

Jace began moving just as the Wolfkin appeared to call out to a woman who was approaching him. Jace recognized her as well. He didn't want to interrupt their conversation and continued moving as if to go into the Hole in the Wall. Being polite he tipped his hat to them. He could speak with them when they were not otherwise engaged.

• 1 month later...

OOC: Second attempt. *sigh* So annoyed. I'd posted to this last night and lost my entire post as I didn't notice my internet connection had been lost until I hit the post button. At which point DM vanished before I could copy my RP. *mutters* Actually, I'll go write it up in G Drive docs first I think.

IC:-

"Good morning, Jon," Rhya answered as she reached his perch on the bench outside the Inn. "Your offer would sound just fine any other day but I have too much to do at the moment I'm afraid. Aislyn has informed me that...." she broke off as Jace walked past, tipping his hat politely to them. "The very person! Do come and join us, Jace. I was about to go looking for you next. You've saved me a hunt."

Rhya introduced the two young men formally to each other before continuing her explanation. "As I was saying to Jon, Aislyn tells me that you both urgently need a lesson in the Wolf Dream. Owen's rather taken up with Ranger business so I've offered to teach you the basics. Meet me at the Ranger Barracks tonight once it's dark. You won't have to bring anything except yourself. Oh...and I suggest you get plenty of exercise for the remainder of the day," she grinned at them both. "Falling asleep on demand is somewhat difficult the first few times you try it and if you can't sleep, there'll be no lesson in dreamwalking. Any questions? No? Excellent."

With an airy wave and allowing Jon and Jace no time to voice any objections, Rhya swung in the direction of the Barracks. She had a feeling it'd be wise to let Owen know what she was doing if for nothing other than safety's sake. After some of her own experiences, she wasn't prepared to take chances. Thankfully neither of her pupils had looked at all afraid, horrified or reluctant. Depending on a Wanderer's experience of the Howling and their inadvertant forays into the Dream, some of them viewed their first proper training with less than enthusiastic eyes.

Pausing at the Barracks' main door, Rhya quested out with her mind for Shadow and wasn't long in finding him. Stop lounging in the sun, lazy one, she remarked and laughed aloud at the wolf's less than polite response. Find River and Forest for me would you please, Shadow? Ask them to be nearby for their companions' training session this night. Having their wolf friends around should provide some reassurance and keep the Wanderers calm. Or so Rhya hoped.

OOC:- Ok guys, post a bit about your char's reactions and thoughts to the news of the lesson...maybe comment on how they spend the rest of the day and have them both arrive at the Barracks to finish up. Don't bring your wolves with you as they'll already be in the Dream.

Jace stopped suddenly as the woman called out to him.

"The very person! Do come and join us, Jace. I was about to go looking for you next. You've saved me a hunt."  Rhya said.

Jace stood there a minute, dumbfounded, as Rhya introduced him to Jonathan Winterwinds.  Jace shook hands with the man and turned back to Rhya.  She explained that they were going to have training in the Wolf Dream and Jace felt the excitement build up in him.  He had to admit, that he was excited to begin training and he was interested in what would happen when he could have control in his dreams.

Winifred had told him that he had entered the Wolf Dream before.  His dreams of wolves hunting had indeed been different than normal dreams.  Winifred also cautioned that the Wolf Dream was a dangerous place.  Knowing that, Jace was determined to be cautious and follow all directives given to him by Rhya.

After explaining the training, Rhya left suddenly, giving the two men no time for questions.  Jace looked at Jonathan and said, "Well, I better go tire myself out.  See you in a bit and very nice to meet you!"

He shook the man's hand politely before heading back to his room.  Upon entering, Jace removed his shirt and began a regimen of push ups and sits ups.  Although it had been awhile since he had really worked out, Jace was still in decent shape.  After he had spent a decent amount of time exercising, Jace washed the sweat off, and got dressed in a new set of clothing.

Jace then kept himself busy waiting for darkness.  As the sun was setting, Jace wandered over to the Rangers' Barracks to find Rhya waiting for him.

• 1 month later...

"Good morning, Jon," Rhya's answer was quick, but not cold,  "Your offer would sound just fine any other day but I have too much to do at the moment I'm afraid. Aislyn has informed me that...."

Another wanderer coming over stopped the other Wolfkin short, allowing Jon to chuckle and respond.

"I hope I am not in trouble with her Rhya, I swear I didn't track mud or dirt into the Infirmary again or anything." His tone was joking, if only a little. It had happened before, him and his companion, Forest Shadow, tracking mud or something else into building when they visited after playing perhaps a little too roughly. After the first time it had happened he had made sure to wash up and dust himself off before offering himself as a volunteer there.

"The very person! Do come and join us, Jace. I was about to go looking for you next. You've saved me a hunt." Rhya said with a smile. And Jon could not help but chuckle again because the other wanderer looked like a deer caught then let go by a pack. Dumbfounded and quite confused.

"Better run Master Jace. Rhya here was looking for us, can only mean trouble." This was of course a joke, though likely it'd come and bite him in the tail, if not from Rhya herself than from Forest. Oh, how Forest loved to chide him on how he treated others. One would almost think he was raised by Two-legs! Of course, he had been, but as Forest often pointed out that was hardly his fault.

"As I was saying to Jon, Aislyn tells me that you both urgently need a lesson in the Wolf Dream. Owen's rather taken up with Ranger business so I've offered to teach you the basics. Meet me at the Ranger Barracks tonight once it's dark. You won't have to bring anything except yourself. Oh...and I suggest you get plenty of exercise for the remainder of the day," Her smile almost causes Winter to believe his earlier statement of 'there shall be trouble.' Dream training though sounded like it would be fun, so for now he wouldn't worry. "Falling asleep on demand is somewhat difficult the first few times you try it and if you can't sleep, there'll be no lesson in dreamwalking. Any questions?

Opining his mouth to ask a question Jon quickly closes it again, thinking better than to ask one now. Later, perhaps, when they were actually in the training, as his questions all pertained to that.

"No? Excellent." Rhya then left, giving them no room for argument, questions or attempts to flee.

Sighing Jon looked over to the man he had just been introduced to only for the new 'kin to speak.

"Well, I better go tire myself out. See you in a bit and very nice to meet you!" He then offered his hand, which Jon accepted and shook, before the young man walked off.

Left suddenly alone and now in need to tire himself out so he could sleep on demand later, Jon decided to put the sword he had just finished tending to use by practicing his sword in the Rangers' training yard. Standing up he headed off in that direction, wondering if he should tell Forest about the training or not. It was the -wolf dream- after all, she would probably know, or figure it out, if he was there and have no end of fun calling him a witless pup as he stumbled around in what was unknown territory for him.

Reaching the training yard, Jon practiced his sword slowly, deliberately thinking out each swing, each thrust, and each parry against imaginary foes. Of course, at first it was not that tiring, but going slow enough, the weight of the sword soon became heavier than a boulder. As the sun started to set Jon put his sword away, sweat dripping from his face. He was tired and ready to pass out on demand but forced himself to have a wash and clean up before presenting himself to Rhya.

He finally wandered in the direction of the Barracks, and before too long found the meeting place with Rhya already there awaiting their arrival.

"So," he began, with a weary smile, "what's next?"