DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A new beginning (Intro thread)

Aekold

The merchants he travelled with were very polite and grateful to have another armed man among them but Aekold kept his distance. They appeared to be decent fellows and under normal circumstances he would have liked to join in with their revelry but Aekold knew if he was to be a Warder he must be disciplined. “Simply knowing blade or spear is never enough” his uncle’s words echoed, “your mind must be just as deadly. And, lad you must keep it sharp and ready as you would on watch for a raid.”

Aekold thought often of his uncle on this trip allowing Aethan free reign. The black horse was not trained but was clever and had a wicked sense of humour. Aekold had grown to love the animal that threw him the first time he tried to mount up. Another gift from his uncle to celebrate his decision to join the warders.

All thought of home soon left him as he awoke from his day dream to one of the most spectacular sights of his life, great city of Tar Valon and erupting from the centre, the glittering White tower.

It took every ounce of Aekold’s will to not gawk like a country boy at every building but Tar Valon was so... fluid. Everything flowed gracefully and the  buildings were almost lifelike. A stark contrast to the practicalities of his homeland. This is why the border watch is kept, this is why we stand against the blight. Beauty such as this must be preserved. He rode around the city for over an hour getting lost on a number of occasions but soaking in the city the entire time. It was so different and the people so loud and oblivious of the horrors that lie in the North.

Eventually, with some direction he arrived at the White Tower itself, although how could have trouble finding a place you can see from miles away was still a mystery to him. He left Aethan at the stables and shouldered his saddle bags as he asked the boy directions to the Gaiden’s Master at Arms. Tossing him a silver upon receiving his answer he made his way across the court yard.

He approached the large building which held the Gaiden’s office. This was a structure built for soldiers. Aekold approved of the practicality of everything, everything had a purpose and little time spent on niceties. Aekold dusted and straightened himself before knocking on the door, ready to begin his new life and Light willing discover the fate of his sister.

(ooc: mind if I help with this? my bad on the wait)

Visar had a headache already and it was only close to midday. There had been some unruly trainees of late that were difficult to train, and Visar was having a lot of indecision on how to handle the situation. Of course they were Illianers. When were they not Illianers? He went back to ask the Master of Arms something, hoping he was in the office. It had been a long time since he had seen old Byron. He didn't even know if the grizzled veteran was still in charge. There had been rumors about him resigning before Visar had left for his sojourn in the Tairen countryside. There might be a new Master at Arms to get to know, or was it someone Visar already knew?

When he arrived, there was a trainee outside, looking like he was waiting for the Master of Arms. Yet, if he had already knocked, that must mean the Master of Arms was out on other business?

He took a quick look at the newcomer, and had Borderlander assault him with all its obviousness. A young borderlander, tall and strong, no doubt to train with the Warders. Looked to be in excellent physical shape, too. Might actually be a man with natural talent, or so Visar hoped. They tended to make better soldiers and warders up there than men in the south, who had never seen a trolloc. Some didn't even believe they existed! Light, the ignorance of some people...And yet Visar used to be among that number.

"Good day to you. I'm Visar Gaiden. No," he made a perfunctory wave to dismiss the young man. "I'm not the Master of Arms. It appears he might be busy at the moment. But I can help you in his stead while we get you set up. Let's see, ah this is the one."

Visar went ahead and unlocked the door with a spare key, feeling a little jittery. Technically he should habe turned in his key but he had forgotten. How...convenient, that they hasn't changed the locks. He quickly peered inside. It took Visar some time, but he felt there was something unusual about the place. In fact it was very tidy and orderly. Visar shrugged off the thought and smiled. So unlike himself right now. He felt like he was multitasking a hundred-legged operation with just a few trainees. He was horrible at multi-tasking!

"Come on in, young man. My apologies for your wait. What did you say your name was?" Visar asked.

Edited by Visar Falmaien

Aekold waited patiently at the office door. It was becoming more and more obvious that the Master at Arms wasn’t within but seeing no other option he decided to wait, this appeared to be the administration centre of the Warders. Someone of note would come by this way eventually. Aekold used his time to think of what he was doing and the home he was  abandoning. He had even grown his hair out, allowing the sides of his head to match the length of his previous top-knot. He knew it was warmer in the south but he was still unused to how warm his head felt with the extra hair. However he was no longer a soldier of Fal Moran his watch was over and he no longer had the right to keep his hair in accordance with tradition. He would now forge his own path against the shadow.

Luckily Aekold did not have long to wait as he heard footsteps approaching. The man walked with the lazy grace of a lion, knowing that nothing could best him but ready to deter any who tried. Aekold stood straight and awaited to be addressed.

“Good day to you. I'm Visar Gaiden. No," Aekold was about to respond before he was waved down.  "I'm not the Master of Arms.  It appears he might be busy at the moment.  But I can help you in his stead while we get you set up.  Let's see, ah this is the one."

The Warder took out a loop of keys and opened the door which led into a very stark office. It smelled unused for a while but was recently cleaned and everything seemed in its place. 

"Come on in, young man.  My apologies for your wait.  What did you say your name was?" Visar Gaiden asked as he stood behind the desk. 

Aekold crossed his fists before his chest and bowed. “Peace favour your sword Visar Gaiden, I am Aekold al’Cadez son of Catheil, a carpenter, but I was raised by my Uncle Calarne who is a Captain in the Fal Moran city guard. It has been three years since I received my sword and I have now come to train under the Gaiden and defend against the growing shadow.”

Edited by Aekold

Aekold crossed his fists before his chest and bowed. “Peace favour your sword Visar Gaiden, I am Aekold al’Cadez son of Catheil, a carpenter, but I was raised by my Uncle Calarne who is a Captain in the Fal Moran city guard. It has been three years since I received my sword and I have now come to train under the Gaiden and defend against the growing shadow.”

Visar studied the young man a second time as he spoke in a determined and confident voice. The man was three years by Borderlander standards, which was still a good age to relearn. Hopefully there wouldn't be many things to relearn if his uncle was good. Visar wracked his brain, trying to remember if he had met Calarne when he had fought in the borderlands with the Kalduns. He didn't think he had.

"Well met, Aekold al'Cadez, and may peace favour your sword as well," Visar replied politely. "I'm sure we can fit you into our ranks in training without a problem. And I'm sure we will have good use for one who already has training with the Fal Moran guard. This is a good place to learn from the best and fight the shadow, supporting the beacon of the White Tower's Flame. Come, have a seat Aekold al'Cadez. Would you like refreshments? Tell me a little bit more about yourself."

Visar waited for Aekold to get more comfortable, and then gently resumed his questions. A background check was never a bad idea. They might accept anyone from anywhere, even prior criminals, as Visar knew well first hand. But if you could understand a man's reasons for joining better, you were better equipped to help them.

Visar glanced around the room with a faint sense of unease. It didn't look very different but it felt different. Byron was organized but his office was rarely looking so...clean. and sharp, like a dress uniform and shoes polished. Had a new Master of Arms been chosen? Hard to tell. Visar refocused; he was having trouble with that today.

"Why come here? Why the Warders? Why not study with master swordsmen in the Borderlands? They keep themselves sharp up there, and it might be more comfortable among your own people. There are many from all over the world here; some you will find like youraelf, yet others completely different. Surely it is not merely your desire to defend the Light or our reputation."

"Although the mess hall chef is surprisingly good..." Visar smiled with nostalgia to his trainee days, when this had seemed an entire new world. He focused back on the present, looking directly into Aekold's eyes as he spoke. Visar was testing him as of he would test an opponent in a duel. Trying to find out who he really was. Few people who were of the dishonest sort could look him directly in the eyes, yet Aekold did not strike him as dishonest.

(ooc: This is Kilrin Seail (Seia) 's post, enjoy! Your turn next, Aekold)

The way back from the administrative offices in Tar Valon back to the Warders Yard was long which gave Kilrin time to think. She had just spend nearly half of the morning going over reports of rations, equipment, and repairs that were needed before the next full moon. That was handled easily enough but what really occupied her mind was what had just happened. Her rank is now the Master at Arms, succeeding Bryon Greigor after his resignation. She never thought that the man would ever retire; the position suited him like a glove for the hand.

Kilrin had to wonder if this was all preplanned but it would not do anyone any good by unburying secrets that perhaps meant to remain buried. As she approached her gates, a Guard alerted her that there was a guest seeking her audience and she changed her course to her office instead of her apartment. With her recent promotion, she hardly had any time to settle in Byron’s office. My office. And yet again for the countless time today, she wondered just how the Fates changed her life so abruptly.

She came up to her door, noticing it ajar. A frown creased her brow and she rested her hand on the hilt of her sword, stepping into the dimly lit room. Two men rose up from the chairs. At that moment, Kilrin wished she could channel as to bring more light into the room. “I was told of a guest.”

She moved to the windows and pulled the drapes back, inviting the warm light in. The room smelled stuffy still and she opened a window. Kilrin turned and looked at the two men. “I am Kilrin Seail, the new Master at Arms of the Warders. And you two are?”

Edited by seiakera

"Well met, Aekold al'Cadez, and may peace favour your sword as well," Visar replied politely. "I'm sure we can fit you into our ranks in training without a problem. And I'm sure we will have good use for one who already has training with the Fal Moran guard. This is a good place to learn from the best and fight the shadow, supporting the beacon of the White Tower's Flame. Come, have a seat Aekold al'Cadez. Would you like refreshments? Tell me a little bit more about yourself."

Aekold nodded then unstrapped his broadsword from his back before taking the seat on the other side of the desk. He shook his head, politely declining the offer of refreshments. Visar  looked as if he was weighing him and Aekold met his gaze steadily.

"Why come here? Why the Warders? Why not study with master swordsmen in the Borderlands? They keep themselves sharp up there, and it might be more comfortable among your own people. There are many from all over the world here; some you will find like yourself, yet others completely different. Surely it is not merely your desire to defend the Light or our reputation. Although the mess hall chef is surprisingly good..."

Aekold smiled at the Warders joke and took a moment to gather his thoughts before answering .

“The blight has been active as of late and the master swordsmen you speak of have been kept busy with their watch. I learned all that I could from my uncle in his off-duty hours but I knew that if I wanted to reach the highest levels a man can reach there was only one place I can learn. From the fabled Warders.” Aekold frowned for a moment, he knew that wasn’t the whole of it, he could have sharpened his skill in his homeland with the blight as the world’s deadliest whetstone but he was drawn south.

“Yes Visar Gaiden, I would have been very comfortable among my people but in order to truly master myself I must experience discomfort and adversity. All of these reasons factored into my journey south but they were not the main.” Aekold hesitated, saying he was going to Tar Valon to get answers about his sister and actually facing a Warden were two different things. Duty was heavier than a mountain and Aekold always did what he said he would do. A man was nothing if his word meant nothing.

“The main reason I have come to Tar Valon, is to discover the fate of my sister, Alourna. She came here a few years ago to train as a Novice in the White Tower but then her letters stopped. The last we heard from here was she was excited about being tested for acceptance. We have wrote to the Tower a number of times but was always politely side stepped. So finally I decided to come in person once I was deemed ready.”

Aekold turned at the sound of the door opening and to his suprise a woman strode in with a slight limp and pulled back the drapes shedding the room in a bright light.

“I was told of a guest. I am Kilrin Seail, the new Master at Arms of the Warders. And you two are?”

Aekold stood by his chair and bowed to her formally, “Peace favour your sword Kilrin Gaiden, I am Aekold al’Cadez son of Catheil. I was just explaining to Visar Gaiden that I have come to train among the Warders.”

Edited by Aekold

Visar listened to Aekold's reasons for why he came. The man seemed completely honest, and finally explained that he was also here to discover what had happened to his sister. Visar wished he could give the young man hope about finding his sister, but truth deserves truth returned, even if it was inconvenient.

Visar was just about to explain about the strict rules concerningntalking to novices, and how Aekold would have to make an official request, knowing that if they agree at all, which was a big if, there could be a long wait. But he did not have time to say anything about it as a newcomer came into the room casually, as if she owned the place and opened the blinds, revealing almost blinding sunlight.

Visar blinked, his eyes adjusting to the light. If this woman had meant harm she could have killed both of them in the slight daze. How could he have dropped his guard so casually? Fortunately for both of the men in the room, they soon learned who it was.

“I was told of a guest. I am Kilrin Seail, the new Master at Arms of the Warders. And you two are?”

Visar was taken aback a little, though he was able to catch himself being slackjawed. Kilrin Seail was their new Master at Arms? What were they thinking? Was his first thought. His second was frustration. They never told him anything anymore; he felt constantly out of the loop. And of course once his mind recentered, he wondered what it might look like to her, to have two strangers in her office, which had beem locked.

It was going to have to take some creativity to get out of this one. What an awful way to make a first impression! Visar observed the new Master while Aekold replied politely first, buying him a few moments to think. Many including Visar knew of Kilrin, she was among the most skilled at the sword of the Tower Guard officers. But he had never known her personally; he had not served under her command when he was in the Guard.

Visar quickly bounced off of Aekold who half introduced him. He made a salute, Tower Guard fashion.

"Visar Falmaien, Warder to Rasheta Sedai, at your service, Master Seail. I... was not informed of your promotion, so I took the liberty of helping get Aekold started." Visar realized with some embarrassment that he had been sitting at Her desk. He stood and offered the seat to her with a smile.

He had a feeling it wouldn't be this easy to pass the baton. He would count himself lucky if he was asked to leave, or continue to help Aekold on her behalf. He'd see what kind of person this Kilrin was, though he had a feeling this was not a very good start.

-Visar Falmaien, secretly nervous

Kilrin nodded towards Aekold as he introduced himself, pleased that he was a Shienarian from his greeting. They were bold and ferocious warriors, something that the Yards needed more of. They would need to evaluate his skills to determine where to start him off but before her thoughts could go off on a tangent, the other introduced himself and she let an eyebrow raise when Visar introduced himself as a Warder. She was amused at his demeanor but did not let it show. She sat in her chair that he vacated and leaned back. 

"Your assistance is appreciated, Visar Gaidin. The promotion is recent so not very many are aware yet. Please do stay, I may need your assistance." She made a mental note to get the locks changed on her office door. "Sit down, the both of you."

She turned her attentions to the newcomer, "Peace favor your sword, Aekold al'Cadez son of Catheil. I did hear the last bit before interrupting your conversation, I'm afraid that we cannot socialize with the novices of the White Tower however if you could leave her name with me, I will query to see if she is alive and well for you. For now, you are welcome to join our ranks."

Kilrin retrieved her enrollment book, a quill, and a stopper of ink; making notes. "I see that you brought your broadsword so you do have skill but we will need to determine where to place you within our ranks. I will let your trainers evaluate that and report back to me." She wrote on a small parchment sheet and handed it to Aekold, "This is your barracks assignment as well as a note to get your training clothes and a practice lathe. I will need to ask you some very important questions." She leaned forward, looking to Aekold's eyes. "Do you swear to obey your superiors? Do you swear to protect the inhabitants of the White Tower and your fellow warriors?" She paused, considering her next question. "Do you swear to the Creator and the Light, to defeat the Shadow at the Last Battle?"

Aekold stood quietly as the two Warders verbally tested each other with neither wishing to offend. Aekold was a little confused and worried about what he had heard. In the borderlands each soldier knew the chain of command so the next in line could swiftly take up the lead without giving an inch to panic. It seemed that the Tower was less formal and each Warder was like a unit all to themselves. Although alien to him Aekold had no choice but to adapt, men who did not learn and change rarely survived long close to the Blight. After the new Master of Arms took her seat, Aekold took his own once encouraged.

"Peace favor your sword, Aekold al'Cadez son of Catheil. I did hear the last bit before interrupting your conversation, I'm afraid that we cannot socialize with the novices of the White Tower however if you could leave her name with me, I will query to see if she is alive and well for you. For now, you are welcome to join our ranks."

Kilrin Gaiden took out a large book and looked him over eyes resting momentarily on his sword. "I see that you brought your broadsword so you do have skill but we will need to determine where to place you within our ranks. I will let your trainers evaluate that and report back to me." She wrote on a small parchment sheet and handed it to Aekold, "This is your barracks assignment as well as a note to get your training clothes and a practice lathe. I will need to ask you some very important questions." She leaned forward, looking to Aekold's eyes. "Do you swear to obey your superiors? Do you swear to protect the inhabitants of the White Tower and your fellow warriors? Do you swear to the Creator and the Light, to defeat the Shadow at the Last Battle?"

Aekold let his shock touch his eyes for a second at the last question. To ask a Borderlander that final question was a grave insult but thinks were different here in the south. Aekold restrained himself and tried to suppress his emotions the way his uncle had tried to teach him but he never could get the hang of it. At best he could surround himself in a cold formality but inside he would be boiling over. Clenching the arms of the small chair he came to the conclusion that no offense was meant but it still angered him. Focusing on his breathing Aekold paused a moment before trusting himself to speak.

“I, Aekold al’Cadez son of Catheil, born of Fal Moran, pride of the Black Hawk, do swear to obey those placed above me and to protect my comrades and those of White Tower. My sword is turned against the Shadow from the moment it met my hand until the Last battle won or until my body no longer draws breath. This I swear under the Light and by my hope of salvation and rebirth until the last embrace of the mother welcome me home.”

Visar stayed as ordered, knowing that his first impression would likely have unpleasant repercussions. He put it out of his mind for now though, and he sat down next to Aekold, calmed and observant of both.

The new Master at Arms approached the process of signing up a new trainee very seriously. But she was also efficient; he knew this wouldn't take long, and then likely they'd talk just the two of them. It would not do to show to a newcomer that sometimes their diversity and individuality could lead to discord.

He found the borderlander's response interesting. Aekold acted tense, as though something Kilrin had said bothered or offended him. Probably the vow to the Light, which was unspoken as heavy duty in the borderlands. Here it was a necessary formality. He thoight Aekold did an admirable job trying to not let his feelings control him, but that kind of tension could ruin a man's confidence if he had no emotional outlet. Borderlanders and their honor. They meant well and Visar had nothing but respect for their culture and skill, but sometimes they could be so stiffnecked!

Then again everyone said that Tairens had loud, foul mouths, free tempers, and judged everyone around them as inferiors. Visar did fit the stereotype somewhat, so what right had he to say anything?

"Well said" he muttered approvingly to Aekold, and smiled, hoping that he'd warm up to things here in time.

-Visar Falmaien, sitting on his thumbs :p

Aekold's reaction to her last question did not escape her observations. It was unfortunate that Kilrin had to ask these questions but she was the type that believed it was better to be safe than sorry. She knew that he would eventually get over his reactions in due time once he spent a few years in the Yards and learned just exactly who their enemies were. Darkfriends, the warriors of the Shadow, she suspected that they could infiltrate any organization but that's all it ever was; a suspicion. 

Kilrin nodded in satisfaction and rose up from her chair, offering her hand to the new soldier. "Welcome to the Yards then." The man rose and took her handshake, his grip firm and she allowed a small smile, "It's always good to have Borderlanders joining us." She turned to Visar with a raised eyebrow, "Visar Gaidin, if you could please go with Aekold and help him get sorted out, show him around the Yards. When you're done, I'd like to talk to you later."

~ Kilrin

~ Master at Arms

Edited by seiakera

(Ooc: i'll wrap up my part in this and segue, Aek feel free to post in other ongoing threads that you can!)

Visar did not fail to notice the raised eyebrow and her tone of voice when she said, "I'd like to talk to you later." It usually meant something disciplinary and unpleasant. He smiled, but his smile did not quite touch his eyes like genuine mirth.

"Of course, Master Seail. I'll see you in a few." He bowed and left the office, not looking forward to his imminent return. But again, he had to remind himself, this wasn't all about him. There were others' needs far more important than his right now.

"Come, trainee al'Cadez, let me show you around the place." He said, showing the way to getting the newcmer settled.

(Ooc: to be continued in another thread)