DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

TW - Wheel of time mod

Arez Al'Loke

Yeah.. I noticed it aswell. Another really frustrating thing I noticed is that there are about 5 different people/groups that tried to create a WoT universe with Total war. 4 of them are dead. They could have cooperated and been finished NOW, but "People are stupid - Zeddicus Zul'Zorander"

• Community Administrator

1. You have to find people who can mod a game like that. Have scripting skills. Modeling/texturing skills

2. They have to be massive WoT fans.

3. And have lots and lots of time.

And.. Heres what happens.

1&2  They find 1-5 or so people, that have some of these skills, but not alot of cross-over.

3. Life happens. A project like this, can take 2-6 years to complete Depending on how thorough and how much QA they are going to do. Not to mention, keeping up with the live version of the games constant updating.

Factor in, someone who wants to mod.

Has lots of free time.

Has some skill in one t hing, but not alot in others...

And your looking at a Teenager.

Problem?

2-6 years later?

yea. thats...

Graduation from highschool..

College.

Life.

So yea... THose projects tend to fail fairly easilly as more and more mod members drop out due to RL.

Trust me. I've been there. Done That..

http://web.archive.org/web/20080515201025/http://www.wheeloftimemod.org/

http://web.archive.org/web/20080828173321/http://www.wheeloftimemod.org/ModdersResource/Base_ESM_Build.htm

(if your familiar with PC morrowind at all.. each square = one cell in morrowind...

Yes.. 160x120 'cells'.

hmm.. Well, I don't really know how much of what they've done.

But they've seen to have finished the campaign map and battle maps. I think they were largely done with unit remakes, still fixes to be done with Aes Sedai and their warders. So I'd maybe say it's about 40-80 % left depending on how enthusiastic the project is supposed to be.

To be honest, a project like this should really have a very small scale.

These modders tend to try to encompass ALL of Randland.

Would be smarter to do the borderlands and promote a Blight vs Borderlands map (One country at a time) then add area's as you have time.

*Shrug*

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, it's taken the WESTEROS: TOTAL WAR team about six years and a complete change of team to bring the project to where it is now (about 90% of the way done). None of the WoT projects have had that continuity. The (excellent and highly-recommended) LORD OF THE RINGS mode, THIRD AGE: TOTAL WAR, also had similar problems and only succeeded because it's Tolkien, which means they could muster a team of hundreds of people to work on it (WESTEROS has about a dozen, in comparison).

One correction though: there was a WoT mod for ROME which got pretty far along, and was then abandoned when MEDIEVAL II came out and the team couldn't decide whether to abandon their work and move onto the newer game. Every attempt since then has been for MEDIEVAL II, since the games since then (EMPIRE, NAPOLEON and SHOGUN II) do not allow total conversion mods (and I wouldn't hold my breath that ROME II will allow them either).

To be honest, a project like this should really have a very small scale.

These modders tend to try to encompass ALL of Randland.

Would be smarter to do the borderlands and promote a Blight vs Borderlands map (One country at a time) then add area's as you have time.

Not really. In order to have an interesting map, it needs to be a certain size, and that means the production pipeline problem is the same (since you have a small zoomed-in area or a large-scale one, but a similar 'size' to it regardless). The problems with the WoT mods have mostly been disagreements on how to implement things like the One Power and Shadowspawn (particularly flying ones, which aren't possible in the raw MEDIEVAL II/ROME engine). WESTEROS and THIRD AGE have both benefitted from their low-magic settings in this situation.

Archived