DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Daughter of the night she walks again?

Dollhouse

Ah, the book will be released soon and I will finally be able to read it. So before I do, lets go with one last crazy theory for you all to chew on:

The Dark Prophecy found on the wall in the second book reads:

Daughter of the Night, she walks again.
The ancient war, she yet fights.
Her new lover she seeks, who shall serve her and die, yet serve still.
Who shall stand against her coming?
The Shining Walls shall kneel.

Now we all assume that this refers Mierin, or more accurately, to Lanfear... but is that really so? With the appearance of Cyndane and her possiblyt being Mierin reincarnate (wouldn't that surprise a lot of people if she isn't?) the part about her 'walking again' seems even more fitting. But there is just one problem with this... and that is the part about the Shinning Walls kneeling. Now if the Shinning walls isn't just "Egwene" (now the tower incarnate) I don't see how this sort of prophecy can be fulfilled. (although it would be kind of satisfying having Egwene get pawned by Cyndane in the dreamworld. What with how Meesana lost to Egwene it would be fun of Mierin wasn't affected at all by the "might of the tower" and just easily cowed the Mary Sue).

Anyway I digress... what I was saying was -- if Egwene isn't "the Shining walls", then the prophecy seem kind of odd to me since Mierin has had very little to do with the tower itself so far and it would be kind of weird for her to suddenly take it on in the last book when her focus has been Lews this entire time.

So... what was my crazy 'theory' then? Well... what if the "Daughter of the night" isn't Lanfear? The daughter of the night was just something she was called because of what she did in the world of dreams right? So what if Egwene will be the "Daughter of the night" in the final book? She at least has a real tie to the tower.

Well, the prophecy certainly implies that Lanfear would cause the Tower to fall, but it does not directly say that. That's a weak argument maybe but at this point the Seanchan are the most likely to take down the Tower. Egwene going evil? She had the 13x13 fear, but that was Rand in her test.

Egwene faced Meesana in a test of wills and won, maybe she would not fare as well against Lanfear in TAR, you are correct, it would be quite amusing, but I am not a huge Egwene fan lol

It's pretty clear from the pre release materials that Cyndane is Lanfear, if it turns out to be a red herring, I would be very surprised.

I'm with you completely on the 'what does Lanfear have to do with the Shining Walls?" question.

It's bothered me right from the beginning, but I've not been able to find a satisfactory answer.

The biggest snag in your theory is this (from the Glossary)

Lanfear (LAN-fear): (2) In the old tongue, "Daughter of the Night." One of the Forsaken, perhaps the most powerful next to Ishamael. Unlike the other Forsaken, she chose this name herself.

It's not a title, it's a rather well known name.

Which, in turn makes me suspicious, because there are no other names mentioned in the prophecies IIRC.

So, maybe, it is a title? And Mierin chose it deliberately? Or accidentally?

:wacko:

If we assume that Lanfear (Cyndane) will break the White Tower according to that prophecy and we also assume that the Seanchan are going to attack the White Tower again, it wouldn't be a far reach to assume that she is either manipulating the Seanchan to that end already or will be opportunistic when another attack occurs.

Another thought

Daughter of the Night, she walks again.
- Lanfear's back

The ancient war, she yet fights.

- she hasn't given up yet, despite what we might think at the moment
Her new lover she seeks, who shall serve her and die, yet serve still.

- she's found a way to manipulate Rand to do something she wants - consciously, unwittingly, any way will do - even if he dies his actions will allow her to achieve her aim
Who shall stand against her coming?

- um, Moiraine? Egwene? (someone she's been up against before)
The Shining Walls shall kneel.

- Rand's actions (and maybe the confrontation with the person standing against her) brings about the (near?)destruction/dissolution of the WT (Egwene's death would fit rather well too)

Archived