DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Looking for Help/Volunteers

Quibby

I am in the process of writing NSW (Non-Specific Writer) characters for the various divisions of the Band in order to have characters that can be used to train recruits up the ranks.  While I've basically come to a road block, I think I have a way around it.  I'm looking for ideas from you.  Character background ideas, names, anything.

I don't expect this for free, though, so here's the drill: I will offer in-character bonuses to anybody who makes significant contributions.  I don't know exactly how these will be awarded (points towards WS or promotion, most likely) except for one thing: anybody who submits a bio that is accepted for use will gain 1 WS and 1 rank.  This will not be easy, but you will be able to work on the bios until they are approved.

The divisions that need NSWs are the Medics/Services (1 medic, 1 other), Cavalry (1), Scouts (1), and Archers (1).

Submit them like regular bios.  I need to have them on record in the email, and it will be easier to work out little details, like some of the Band history stuff.  These won't be new characters to the Band; they'll be veterans.

Names suggestions?

Male

Merek
Ulric
Carac
Borin
Hadrian
Bryce
Lief
Rulf
Gavyn
Terryn
Jarin
Doran
Tannin
Tobran
Jhyn
Taor
Elvin
Roggar
Emery
Dreues
Evrouin
Hendry
Raoulf
Ricon
Wymond
Danyell
Ihon
Aleyn
Artor
Drystan
Drustan
Aldun

Female

Ayleth
Anouk
Averil
Marion
Lyna
Ellyn
Dimia
Allayn
Brunhild (XD)
Bronwyn
Seri
Tillie
Mylla
Rikmai
Ozanne
Rohez
Ivette
Jhone
Jyne
Dennee
Cara
Denna

Surnames
Aubourc
Aubrey
Engerran
Hawkeye
Hamlen
Faremanne
Anselet
Aylard
Bealcrest
Forthwind
Mowbray
Thorodan
Raorenson
Madlin
Sephare

...or just a whole more:
http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/christian/fairnames/surnames.html#list

Edited by Nyanna al'Meara

It's pretty late so I'm coming up with some random stuffs.. ;P just to get the creative juices flowin'!

Background ideas...this kinda what you want?

For Cavalry - horseback riding and fighting trainer:
Character: wiry Domani officer - rides a Razor - too much play at cards and drinks all the time, does incredible saddle stunts anyway.
Personality: very short temper fuse, fair and gentle only when it comes to horses, but men respect him for that
Peculiarities/appearance: eats only with sursa which he keeps tucked into his belt sash, but they have extra sharpened/steel-tipped pointy ends that he is notorious for sticking enemies with should they get that close. Black velvet horseshoe beauty mark on his left cheek, and a tiny gold ring in his right ear. Long thin moustache on upper lip.

For Archers - bowmaster, the head of officers training bowmen:

Character: short but muscular and broadshouldered Amadician belying his agility and speen drawing the bow - uses only black-fletched arrows - wife and children killed by Whitecloaks, had sworn bloody vengeance and over several years hunted down the whole group of Children who had done the deed, until every one of them was slain. Now his sole purpose in life is his work training Banders to use the bow "properly".
Personality: quiet and firm with recruits as well as veterans, encourages development of skills and lays emphasis on everyone's strengths. Well-liked because of this, and his skills at tailoring lessons to what suits each of his pupils, this is a man of honor and dignity, and deeply serious about his work.
Peculiarities: stretches his shoulders by putting the bow across them before shooting practice/lessons. Only dresses in blacks, and wears the sun-shaped medallion of a now-dead Whitecloak that killed his wife around his neck.

Edited by Nyanna al'Meara

But for the others...

Medic could be an old fella that no-one quite knows the age of. He's basically the grandfather of everyone in the Band, and everyone feels either guilty or sheepish or somewhere in between when he gives them a look, even Mehrin and his type.

Background: He's kind of a mythical figure within the Band, as no-one really remembers his coming. He was travelling beside the Band whilst they marched, a looong time ago, and despite the various Banders telling him to leave, he just continued to sit pleasantly on his wagon and follow on from beside them, treating the wounds of the more foolhardy Banders. Eventually, they were so used to him being around that he just moved in and has never left, and he built up a medic division within the Band. Whenever there's a battle, there's always someone guarding this fella.

Personality: He's immeasurably kind-hearted, always with a smile on his face. He never talks much unless he's trying to pull a shy Bander out of their shell. The days are often that a new Bander finds themselves in his company, and he's often the first friend Banders find. He's full of proverbs and sayings, and although he never outright tells anyone what they're doing wrong or should be doing, (except for his medics), he has many a metaphor that serves the purpose.

The only time he slips out of the mild, grandfatherly persona is when someone has injured themselves in a foolish way (although they can expect a grandfatherly scolding for that) and when someone threatens his patients. He protects them fiercely, as proven by the couple of times he has fought intruders to the death to protect them, usually injuring himself in the process.

Physical Appearance: Grandfatherly.   XD He just looks like your stereotypical grandfather, but with a few more scars. (all with a great story)

I've started work on the medic bio.  After a bit of pondering, I decided to go with your idea, Bard, instead of bringing back the original chief healer (whose name I just found recently).  Just be warned that I'm changing a couple little points as I write, though the vast majority of what you suggested is being used.

Edited by Quibby

• 3 weeks later...

Anything you can come up with would be appreciated.

Sorry for the delay; I went to visit my wife's family and found myself unexpectedly without internet.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...