DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Darksiders 2

Red2111

so i got this game, used for $49 at gamestop Friday. i've already sucked 15 hours into it. this game is hands down the BEST game of 2012. the series is good, Darksiders one is meh imo; but this installment is a must own for any gamer.

the combat is smooth, the transitions for switching weaponry is seamless, to include going to your item selction for potions and spells mid combat. the targeting system is great, better than any shooter i've played. the combat is very hack and slash, with no real combo scheme that i can tell, but the fluidity of the movements and the agility of Death is so remarkable that the true satisfaction comes not from building combos but from the fighting itself.

the skill tree and upgrading is ultra simplistic, but theres alot to choose from (i'm talking Dantes Inferno simplistic). weapons and armor upgrades are equally simplistic. they introduce whats called "Possessed Weapons" but these are few and far between. these are weapons in which you can upgrade by feeding other weapongs and armor to them. but, as far as weapons go, while Deaths Scathes are awesome (very similar in style to Kratoses Chains) i find myself using the secondary Fast weapons just as often in combat (which wasn't the case with God of War)

any Zelda fan will LOVE this game. the game play and layout and design feels like a Zelda game, especially OoT and LttP. imo, the design of the over and under worlds have a similar layout to OoT. there is also the same freedom that you have in Zelda games as well; while the world is not as exansive as many RPGs (such as Elder Scrolls or Dragon Age) the game allows free movement in the world. the side quests are few, and are all fetch and hunt style; nothing that will take up much time. the puzzles in this game are less like GoW and more on terms of Zelda, though still more simplistic than Zelda imo.

Death himself is much better and more enjoyable to play than his brother War. he's agile, quick and his movements as i said are very fluid. to sum him up, its like playing Kratos on steriods. hes a literal BAMF. no boss is a real challenge so far, some (like the Gurdian) took me about 4 or 5 trys to beat on Normal.

tbh, i'm giving this game a 10/10. best game this year so far, and best game to come out since Skyward Sword. though i'm not finished with this game (and i found it very hard to put down btw, which is unique for me when it comes to games) i'm finding myself anticipating heavily how exactlys THQ plans to top this installment with the next Horseman in the series. imo, this is a must have for any gamming library.

I haven't really been able to get into it. It just seems like it got really repetitive really fast. The way they throw weapons and armor at you, for me at least, sortof makes even getting them seem cheapened. The whole skill tree seems a bit pointless. Just seems like the "Abilities" are things you should just get as you progress naturally but they make you pick and choose in an attempt to hype the customization aspect of it. Gold or whatever the currency is called also just seems really useless to me. There's nothing I could buy that won't just become obsolete when I make it to the next sub zone and find something better from an enemy or hidden chest. I haven't even made it to the Tree of Life though. In what I guess is the first world? Maybe that's why, just haven't given it enough of a chance yet.

i'm actually just passed the Tree of Life. liek LttP theres an underworld, infact thinking in terms of lttP in this area is very apt from the look of it.

economy wise, for purchasing and upgrads your right in that i dont buy anything from the merchants. however, the only purchases i've made withing the games economic system is fromt eh weapons guy to purchase new moves skill sets the weapons.

your main complaints tbh seem more oriented torwards the a-typical things you'd expect to see in a classic RPG. i dont believe THQ intended for this to be an atypical RPG, but more of an action RPG, that focuses on game play and plot. whcih is why my comparisons are to both Zelda games and other games in the Action RPG genre like Dantes inferno and God of War.

i do think that one area of imporvemetn they could focus on is the Upgrades, Skill Tree and such. those RPG-esque areas. i'd also liek to see a more expansive world and more quests; because plot, story and combat system they have down.

i'm relaly glad they extended the release date to polish the game though :smile:

Archived