DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

I'm not a psychiatrist but...

Alric

Alright, point conceded. I wasn't aware RJ intended the...sort of sub-plot, to be considered rape, i definitely agree that the first scene of the whole thing was a bit iffy, but from there i always envisioned the relationship being a little different, and having changed to more of a lovers type thing...maybe i should go back and reread it.

prematurely. Egwene, i think she just feels she knows best...but i can name a bunch of people i know like that...they're jerks but not suffering from mental health issues. Furthermore, if you compare her supposed PTSD to Rand's, he suffers from flashbacks, dreaming about the issue, and has some waking experiences, like flashing back to feeling physically trapped in the box. If Egwene has PTSD, it's pretty minor.

Well, she dont really suffer from it, but notice how she behave when the Seanchan topic comes up. Especially her state of mind during the raid on the White Tower! It was not 100% to protect her children as an Amyrlin, it was also part of a reaction to what she had experienced as a Damane. She would probalby not have acted in the same violent and fanatic way (they are better off dead than captured) if she had not experienced the trauma of being one of those broken down. Someone else might have said "Better alive than dead".

Rand's diagnosis is pretty accurate, he may suffer from what we consider Dissociative Identity Disorder, better known as Multiple Personality Disorder. I say this because at times what we can consider the 'Lews Therin' entity will take control of Rand's body. His diagnosis of Schizophrenia is dependent on whether or not you believe that DID is actually a condition, or just severe Schizophrenia.

No; it's definitely not DID. In order for it to be that, the 'alternate' personality would have to disappear entirely while the other was in control. What LTT would be called is a mood-congruent auditory hallucination - a psychotic feature that can appear in some cases of severe depression. Rand wouldn't be diagnosed with schizophrenia; it would be depression (or possibly Bipolar II; debatable) with psychotic features. If the LTT memories weren't real it would be schizophrenia, but since they are, it isn't. Schizophrenia involves more dellusion than Rand ever suffers from.

Also, even though Rand develops a fear of small spaces after the box thing, I'm not sure it would count as PTSD. He doesn't have flashbacks or panics at any other time.

Sorry; I just had to :tongue:

Alright, point conceded. I wasn't aware RJ intended the...sort of sub-plot, to be considered rape, i definitely agree that the first scene of the whole thing was a bit iffy, but from there i always envisioned the relationship being a little different, and having changed to more of a lovers type thing...maybe i should go back and reread it.

I'm rereading Winter's Heart and Setalle Anne (and maybe others) say that what Tylin is doing is wrong, a 'pretty' should be able to leave whenever he wants, etc.

Archived