DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[Regimental Book Discussion] Why did Mat create the Band?

Jeannaisais

My thoughts after finishing FoH

It seems in the book that the band was mostly created by chance and happenstance and it seems the pattern mostly forced it on Mat. I know there is a discussion with Mat and Talmanes after the battle with the Shaido about them following him and Talmanes says something like(i'm at work and the book is at home" "I know you say you are not a lord in Andor, but here I say you are. I have followed men in my life because I have to, you I will follow because I want to" (remember I'm paraphrasing this) I also know that at the end of the book two different times Mat tried to sneak off and had members of the BotRH follow him and he led them straight into battles with Rahvin's men. He said it seemed that it didn't matter where he turned that every time he ran into something (thus the pattern drawing him back in) and every time, no matter the odds he won. And the entire time he wasn't trying to go and find battles, they happened as he was trying to just get away from Rand. So I would say the Pattern definitely formed the Band for Mat, not Mat formed the band.

As for the Naming of the Band I do believe it says that one of the young lords thought up the name when they heard of where he was from in Andor.

The way Mat was forced into the Band leaves me to wonder if there is more for the Band or if it was just a way of making Mat accept who and what he was and what is at his disposal.

I agree I believe that the Pattern needed the Band. Mat was the catalyst!

Another thing to think about, if he had not gone and became their general, what would be different?? Mat came up with the plan to attack Sammael. He also was the cause of the Aes Sedai in Salidar moving when he brought the Band to Salidar for Egwene... So much would have been different without Mat and the Band, and in order for things to go as the Pattern needed it needed Mat and the Band. SPECIFICALLY Mat, because who knows how Egwene would have reacted to someone leading an army near them that she didn't know...

There are so many facets in which it was vital for Mat to be a part of the Band...which brings me back to the feeling that he created it even if he didn't realize he was doing so at the time. I believe the Pattern caused it to happen but that it was Mat himself who created the essence of the Band - does that make any sense at all?

The pattern wouldn't let him! I've also wondered if perhaps Rand's taverenness pulled Mat into the Band as well... since the Band has had such a huge impact on helping Rand's overall plans,

Heck, even Egwene instead of Elaida is reason enough for Rand to really need the Band to have formed,

it makes me think Rand's pull in the Pattern had some impact.

So many facets to explore....gotta love it!

~August points counted to here with current distributions:

Jea - 10

Kat - 15

Basel - 12

Demon - 8

Dice - 8

Drawwod - 2

Horn - 15

Alanna - 3

Andrew - 3

Vardarmus - 5

Bellygod - 2