DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A Neat Idea I had Re: Perrin and Slayer

Sephie913

Perrin's strenth in TAR has developed to incredible levels as of ToM, levels that rival the big 3. Slayer and he have been hunting one another in TAR throughout the series; probably 50-60 pages had been devoted specifically to their TAR fights, nevermind the talking, taunting, etc.

Frankly, I've started to lose interest in their fighting. It's the same, mostly, over and over and over. But it has shown Perrin's growing experience in TAR, the evolution of his abilities. I think the logical extension of this is for him to do something seemingly impossible.

I think in AMoL, he could split Luc and Isam.

It would make sense; Slayer has had a peculiar connection to TAR from the beginning, a connection that hints at his origins. If Slayer was amalgamated in TAR, he could be split the same way. Aside from that, it would be more interesting than: "TG, final showdown, round 3, FIGHT!"

I know that Perrin knows quite a bit about Slayer from experience. Does he know of Slayer's origin? I can't remember one way or another(been away from that piece of the storyline for quite awhile.).

This just occurred to me, I don't have a real stake in the theory. I'd just like to see what some of you think, and whether it is flat-out impossible.

Perrin encounters Slayer in TSR28, killing wolves, and notes his cold, inhuman scent. He pursues Slayer as far as the ToG. Hopper appears, and warns him:

You chase Slayer, Young Bull. He is here in the flesh, and he can kill.

"In the flesh? You mean not just dreaming? How can he be here in the flesh?"

I do not know. It is a thing dimly remembered from long ago, come again as so much else. Things of the Shadow walk the dream now. Creatures of Heartfang. There is no safety.

Then he encounters Birgitte, who is surprised to hear that he can talk to wolves. She tells him about Slayer:

"A good name for him. This Slayer is not old, archer, but his evil is ancient."

So it might be that Birgitte herself knows how Slayer came to be, and can tell Perrin!

I find the prospect of splitting Luc and Isam both interesting and unsatisfying at the same time. On one hand, it would open up some cool possibilities if it had been foreshadowed and taken place early enough to really impact the story. On the other hand, I don't think we would gain much from it. We know that Luc is just as bad as Isam now, because they are the SAME person. It knew that Rand was his nephew, and the Dragon Reborn, and still wanted to kill him. How does the character progress at this point?

Slayer has been killing wolves, I believe this is to make Darkhounds, which we haven't seen a lot of, so far. The Darkhounds may be needed to attack the army of the Wolf King (Perrin).

But I'm intrigued by a viewing Min had of Rand early in ToM: Two dead men on the ground, surrounded by ranks and ranks of Trollocs (ToM13). I wonder if those 'two dead men' are Luc and Isam. Not sure how Rand would be involved, though.

Slayer has been killing wolves, I believe this is to make Darkhounds, which we haven't seen a lot of, so far. The Darkhounds may be needed to attack the army of the Wolf King (Perrin).

But I'm intrigued by a viewing Min had of Rand early in ToM: Two dead men on the ground, surrounded by ranks and ranks of Trollocs (ToM13). I wonder if those 'two dead men' are Luc and Isam. Not sure how Rand would be involved, though.

Im still banking on the two dead men being Moridin in Rands body and Fain.

hmmm it may be slayer will still have a purpose to the light before the end.

If Fain manages to kill Shadar Haran, then it may take Slayer to kill Fain before Rand or Perrin taking care of Slayer. After all, Isam was sent after the "renegade" in TSR and failed to deliver in that mission.

In regards to splitting Slayer, it's funny because a theory I came up with whilst reading TofM was that Verin had sent Alanna to deal with Luc/Isam--her one remaining loose end (note that when Verin met Luc, she questioned him about being from the Borderlands, and Alanna also met Luc and thus was in a position to hunt him). Then when it became apparent that a Slayer/Perrin conflict was coming (remember this was when I was still in the process of reading ) I suggested that Perrin would kill Isam in the dream resulting on the split (or that he'd cause the split) and that Alanna would kill Luc, finishing it off on behalf of Verin.

Of course that didn't happen, but some variation there in still seems possible

Archived