DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What style do The Aiel have?

condonmc

As in what type of martial arts or fighting arts do you imagine when the Aiel fight with hands and feet?....... I like to think that its a cross between Wing Chun Kung Fu and Jujitsu......

What does everyone else feel?..........

I always saw their bare-handed fighting style as something similar if not the same as Wu Shu (or Kung Fu if you prefer). I have some experience of my own in this field since I'm blackbelt, though only first Dan.

About their spear fighting style, I imagine it as a mixture, something of their own, but for no particular reason; I just like it that way.

The image I always had of the Aiel has been one of brutal efficiency. Nothing is ever done to excess, and as such I have a little problem seeing them as Wu Shu masters. Wu Shu is so heavily inlaid with a philosophical process of energy movement, and so flourid and 'showy' that it doesn't really seem very Aiel to me.

Krav Maga seems a good analog to me. It's a stripped down, brutal style about efficient movement and maximized effectiveness. Of course, being heavily linked up with the Israeli Defense Force helps this image of hardcore desert survivalists along a little bit. With their wandering years as Jenn and the eventual transformation into the desert-ninjas we know and love today, the Aiel have a lot of Jewish influences.

The style of short spear the Aiel use is almost certainly modeled after the assegai, an extremely prevalent style in northern Africa and the middle-east. Interestingly it's connected heavily to the Islamic conquests... so the Aiel are both Jewish and Muslim in root. Subtle political commentary in fantasy, gotta love it.

The image I always had of the Aiel has been one of brutal efficiency. Nothing is ever done to excess, and as such I have a little problem seeing them as Wu Shu masters. Wu Shu is so heavily inlaid with a philosophical process of energy movement, and so flourid and 'showy' that it doesn't really seem very Aiel to me.

Krav Maga seems a good analog to me. It's a stripped down, brutal style about efficient movement and maximized effectiveness. Of course, being heavily linked up with the Israeli Defense Force helps this image of hardcore desert survivalists along a little bit. With their wandering years as Jenn and the eventual transformation into the desert-ninjas we know and love today, the Aiel have a lot of Jewish influences.

The style of short spear the Aiel use is almost certainly modeled after the assegai, an extremely prevalent style in northern Africa and the middle-east. Interestingly it's connected heavily to the Islamic conquests... so the Aiel are both Jewish and Muslim in root. Subtle political commentary in fantasy, gotta love it.

It's true that Wu Shu is kind of showy but not in its entirety. I think that when fighting they would use the "personal defense" sector of the Wu Shu which is in fact much like what you described. But I also can easily imagine Aiels doing "forms" to stretch, relax, concentrate and a mixture of these and more things.

The Aiel do call it the "dance" of the spears. There is a certain degree of flair to the wording. I think there is a small degree of elegance and show in their style. But not at the expense of efficiency and battle results.

Bruce Lee's Karate, not that im a pro, but I think krav maga is too rigid

Bruce Lee used a very simple but efficient form, but

Bruce Lee started in Wing Chun Kung Fu, borrowed alot from western boxing and came of with his own style..Jeet Kune Do....

Archived