DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Rand will break the Wheel of Time

Lets not forget that this is a fantasy story and anything could verywell happen. That's why this is a theory. You don't know what is going to happen any more than I do. Chances are no one does except those involved with the release process.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lews Therin said about his strike against the Dark One that you have to use something to actually touch the DO in order to seal him in. That’s how the taint was inflicted upon Saidin, and because Lews Therin imperfectly placed the seal, if he had been working in conjunction with women wielding Saidar the taint could have affected Saidar as well. Even though the Dark One contributed in Fain's rebirth as a Hound of shadow, that touch of shadow on his soul led to him fundamentally changed when he encountered Mashadar. Fain has been building his powers since book 1, until now he is being described as an evil similar to, but opposite, that of the Dark One. Having read the Mistborn series, I can see Sanderson, if this was Sanderson's original work, actually replacing a destroyed Dark One with a similar and unique evil represented by Fain which could grow over the passing of ages to the entity of a new Dark One to be discovered in the next Age 2. The way Fain’s power has been growing over the series it really isn’t too off the wall to theorize this.

But the WoT is not Sanderson’s original work, so I don’t see this happening. What is a possibility that I can see is Rand using this New Thing, this evil creature Fain with an evil similar to but opposite to that of the Dark One to create a wholly new prison for the DO. Similar in theory to a positively-charged magnetic bottle used to contain negatively-charged anti-protons in Science, the opposite evils would repulse each other and thus keep the DO contained until it is time for the Bore to be drilled when the Second Age comes around again.

That's not how a magnetic bottle works:

http://van.physics.i...ing.php?id=1150

.../physics_nerd

I read the Q&A you posted and fail to see how it wouldnt work to contain the Dark One. The DO is evil, Moredieth is an evil equal and opposit to the DO; those two wounds on Rands' side repel each other, that is foreshadowing.

As the Dark one is not (presumably) composed of charged ions and it's a fantasy series anyway, I'd say it anti-matters (chirping of crickets...ahem...).

It's the Last Battle because the Wheel has seven spokes. By the time the Last Battle rolls around again—or by the time the prophecies start coming—no one will remember that there was ever a Last Battle before. It is the Last Battle of the Age, and the Last Battle of the Turning of the Wheel.

It's the Last Battle because the Dark One had been forgotten, and then the Bore was drilled, and then a great war was fought and a great victory was won...but the Dark One remained. This time, he'll be sealed up to be forgotten about again. It's the Last Battle that humankind will have to fight against the Dark One for a long, long time.

It is called the Last Battle because the War has not ceased since the Age of Legends, and Rand will force him to sign a peace treaty (aka - sealed away).

Errmmm what? Why would you think that spoke?

.../physics_nerd

I read the Q&A you posted and fail to see how it wouldnt work to contain the Dark One. The DO is evil, Moredieth is an evil equal and opposit to the DO; those two wounds on Rands' side repel each other, that is foreshadowing.

As the Dark one is not (presumably) composed of charged ions and it's a fantasy series anyway, I'd say it anti-matters (chirping of crickets...ahem...).

:biggrin::tongue:

To get even nerdier..

Firstly: A magnetic bottle isn't 'positively charged'. It isn't charged at all.

Secondly: Opposite electric charges attract. They don't repel.

http://www.gcsescience.com/pse-electrostatic-charge-topics-links.htm

Lews Therin said about his strike against the Dark One that you have to use something to actually touch the DO in order to seal him in. That’s how the taint was inflicted upon Saidin, and because Lews Therin imperfectly placed the seal, if he had been working in conjunction with women wielding Saidar the taint could have affected Saidar as well. Even though the Dark One contributed in Fain's rebirth as a Hound of shadow, that touch of shadow on his soul led to him fundamentally changed when he encountered Mashadar. Fain has been building his powers since book 1, until now he is being described as an evil similar to, but opposite, that of the Dark One. Having read the Mistborn series, I can see Sanderson, if this was Sanderson's original work, actually replacing a destroyed Dark One with a similar and unique evil represented by Fain which could grow over the passing of ages to the entity of a new Dark One to be discovered in the next Age 2. The way Fain’s power has been growing over the series it really isn’t too off the wall to theorize this.

But the WoT is not Sanderson’s original work, so I don’t see this happening. What is a possibility that I can see is Rand using this New Thing, this evil creature Fain with an evil similar to but opposite to that of the Dark One to create a wholly new prison for the DO. Similar in theory to a positively-charged magnetic bottle used to contain negatively-charged anti-protons in Science, the opposite evils would repulse each other and thus keep the DO contained until it is time for the Bore to be drilled when the Second Age comes around again.

This time is different: the Bore will not be sealed (with something touching the Dark One), but healed. The prison will be whole again, without Saidin or Saidar touching the Dark One.

.../physics_nerd

:biggrin::tongue:

To get even nerdier..

Firstly: A magnetic bottle isn't 'positively charged'. It isn't charged at all.

Secondly: Opposite electric charges attract. They don't repel.

http://www.gcsescien...opics-links.htm

Whatever; insert appropriate science where it works. I still think the two evils repel each other and it’s a viable theory. Besides, Sanderson is starting to look so worn out from this series and his schedule that he's probably just going to cut and paste some Rand/Fain slash-fic in for the final chapter anyway.

There is a difference between 'extremely minute chance of being true' and 'plausible'.

Every loony theory is plausible unless team Jordan speaks against it

That's BS. We don't need an official word to tell us that some things are just ridiculous. And there is a huge difference between Taimandred and Fain=new Dark One. One is plausible; the other is silly.

Haha, so since Taimandred isn't plausible per RJ, that means Fain=New Dark One is the plausible option? I know it was just a poor example, but it was fun reading that and going, wait, what did you just say, Terez?

BTW, we were all noobs once ;)

This is the "Last Battle" for the characters in the text but in reality it has happened many times before. Per RJ there is nothing unique about this age.

I thought he said that Fain was unique

Here is the quote I was referring to...

Q: At one point in the story we see Ishamael talking to Rand, and telling him that they have fought countless times in the past, but this is the final time. Is there anything about his Age that makes it special?

RJ: No . . . Every Age is repeated, there is nothing that makes this Age any different from any other turnings of the Wheel. The Wheel is endless.

Edit: Fain is indeed something new so I guess you could call him unique. Still RJ's quote is very clear towards the point I was making. There have been numerous "Last Battles".

Bingo. The meaning of the name changes once the battle has passed. Now it looks like Final Battle, but once its done it will look more like Previous Battle.

Lets not forget that this is a fantasy story and anything could verywell happen. That's why this is a theory. You don't know what is going to happen any more than I do.

Care to make a few wagers, plot point for plot point?

Dude really? Okay just remember I am a fan I love the story but I have read other books and while you collect your reference material from your job at the comic store and take it home to your moms basement I will still be getting ready to deploy to afghanistan. I just want to forget all

that for a little while everyday and talk about the story that I love. So how you plan to make any bet with a dude you don't know and will never meet I can't figure out but whatever how do we do this thing.

Dude really? Okay just remember I am a fan I love the story but I have read other books and while you collect your reference material from your job at the comic store and take it home to your moms basement I will still be getting ready to deploy to afghanistan.

Congratulations, but that has nothing to do with WoT, does it? You make a claim that I don't know any more about WoT than you do, be prepared to back it up, or shut up about it.

That's not what was said you probably do know more about what has happened the point is what will happen which as far I I know the book hasn't been released you are making mountains out of molehills take a breath relax and have some fun that is why I wanted to join dragonmount to have fun

That's not what was said you probably do know more about what has happened the point is what will happen

Especially in a series with as much foreshadowing as WoT has, knowing what has happened is very important to knowing what will happen. Knowing the interviews is helpful too. That has been proven time and time again.

Conan, as a fellow fan of WOT, you would be best served to be respectful of Terez, even if she is a little snippy sometimes. Maybe, I'm making an assumption based on your post count, and maybe you know a lot about WoT, but there are few, if any, that can match Terez in WoT knowledge. She has been over and under this series many times over, and has figured many things out about future plots beforehand by paying attention to minute details. So yeah, she might come off as rude at times, but she knows her stuff, so you're best served just disregarding any hostility you feel you may be reading (i've been there too, believe me) and just pay attention to what she actually says and the facts she puts forth. Anyways, welcome to DM, and happy discussion in the future ;)

So you do live in your moms basement.

We don't have basements in Mississippi. And for the record, I just graduated with a degree in piano performance, and will hopefully be going on to grad school from here. Not as exciting as killing Afghans, I know, but not exactly a comic shop either. Try not to make assumptions about folks just because their hobbies are more focused than yours.

I'm actually medevac I fix blackhawks so we can save lives. I wasn't making assumptions just talking crap its fun. As I said it why I'm here. I don't have a degree but my wife does I have been too busy bring home bacon so my kids can eat and have a roof when it rains. I bet you got all mad relax if you know more than someone correct them without name calling and downcasting remember you started this with the noob comment now about this nerd off sounds like fun which if you recall is why I joined.

I bet you got all mad relax if you know more than someone correct them without name calling and downcasting remember you started this with the noob comment

Calling noobs noobs is not 'downcasting'. It's being specific.

Taryn thanks but the fact of the matter is this if someone disagrees with a person they is a better way of saying so I don't disagree that this person knows more than me however for someone to say something about a nother persons post now matter how stupid or irrelevant in a less than polite way I think is unnecessary we are in fact online and you don't have to type what's in your head a simple I disagree and here is why would have been adequate rude to me I'm rude back. Like I said I just wanted to have some fun and I get called out on a topic that I didn't know had been beaten to death.

I think I have figured it out. That is, why noobs come up with this theory all the time, and no one else seems to consider it. The theory gets introduced a lot, but always by someone with a really low post count (and usually really bad grammar too), and it just seemed odd that so many different people were coming to the same strange conclusion. (In other words, I was honestly confused as to why.)

Anyway, it must have something to do with Fain's scene in TOM, where he says he needs a new name, and he's headed toward Shayol Ghul. I think that casual readers such as yourself see that and think 'Padan Fain is going to be the new Dark One', but those of us who have been around for a while know better. (And I imagine many others do too.)

Archived