DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Eyes of the Dragon

Nolder

Good book, but I have a hard time seeing it becoming even a decent movie. especially if Syfy is doing it.

Interesting thing about it is that it takes place in the same universe as The Dark Tower (though the presence of Flagg is the only noticable connection).

Syfy HAS done some decent stuff.

Examples:

BSG

Being Human

Stargate

Farscape

The Outer Limits

Specifically in miniseries:

BSG

Farscape: Peacekeeper Wars

Dune

Sure their movies are TERRIBLE and they have produced other bad series/miniseries... but they are capable of doing good miniseries.

i actually just read this book.

it was Meh imo, honeslty the story felt rushed, and the plot was blah and the "twist" was predicatble. the real enjoyable part of the book came from the way it was written imo. like a Gleean was sitting with you personally reciting the story.

i don't see this as being good enough to be made into a movie though :/

Syfy HAS done some decent stuff.

Examples:

BSG

Being Human

Stargate

Farscape

The Outer Limits

Specifically in miniseries:

BSG

Farscape: Peacekeeper Wars

Dune

Sure their movies are TERRIBLE and they have produced other bad series/miniseries... but they are capable of doing good miniseries.

BSG: Pre Syfy rebranding so that's probably why this was ok, never seen any of it though

their treatment of the franchise since the rebranding has not been kind

Being Human: Eye candy, it's basically a Buffy for chicks

I'm told it's not as good as the original too although I've seen neither

Stargate: SG-1 they didn't even create in the first place and not too long after picking it up they wanted to cancel it

the only reason they kept it around was because of it's huge popularity

SGA wasn't as successful as they thought it would be so they canned it pretty quick and I think didn't even release the movies they promised

SGU...don't even get me started there

I will say this for SGU it HAD a decent amount of viewers until Syfy started jerking it's timeslot around

Farscape: pre rebranding, never watched

although some googling tells me even the pre rebranded Sci Fi cancelled it unexpectedly

The Outer Limits: Don't know about this at all but I think it was also before the rebranding

BSG (miniseries): I'll assume you're not talking about the spin offs BSG B&C which was basically killed before it could even begin and Caprica which was also prematurely cancelled

the actual BSG miniseries I know nothing about but if syfy made it I bet they cancelled it before it's time as well

Farscape: Peacekeeper Wars: wouldn't have to even exist if syfy hadn't cancelled Farscape to begin with and the only reason it DID exist was the fact that the fans were annoying enough to push syfy into making it

Dune: this was also before the rebranding I think

I have nothing bad to say about this

my point is that syfy has created this habit of starting shows, building a fanbase, and then cancelling them because they're not competing with Lost or other huge shows

I'm not begrudging syfy quality

all these shows had great effects and acting I'm sure

but syfy is absolutely terrible about allowing fans a resolution

Errr.. why does it matter if they changed their name? They are still the same channel :P

BSG miniseries was the two parter that led to like 5 seasons of BSG. They did not cancel this one early.

Being Human (US) version 1st season was basically a remake of BBC version, and thus original was better. But having just viewed Series 4 on BBC compared to Season 2 US... wow... US really kicked its ass. US version is actually turning into a really good show.

Anyway, this is a miniseries... not a series. Which means your argument about not giving the audience a resolution doesn't hold water.

Now they have made some bad miniseries :P Tin Man comes to mind. ooo and neverland.

Errr.. why does it matter if they changed their name? They are still the same channel :P

It seems ever since they changed the name they don't care as much about actual science fiction programming

the movies are...well they're crap

I know some people enjoy B movies in a certain way but most people don't want to see Dinocroc vs. Supergator

Also I think around the time they rebranded they got some different owners or maybe their parent company did or somesuch

could be mistaken on that though

I've just always assumed that was the reason things went to hell with the channel but maybe not

Being Human (US) version 1st season was basically a remake of BBC version, and thus original was better. But having just viewed Series 4 on BBC compared to Season 2 US... wow... US really kicked its ass. US version is actually turning into a really good show.

I'll take your word for it

I'm not a big fan of the paranormal and I don't intend to watch either version

Anyway, this is a miniseries... not a series. Which means your argument about not giving the audience a resolution doesn't hold water.

Now they have made some bad miniseries :P Tin Man comes to mind. ooo and neverland.

fair enough

although they were also considering making it a movie I think

personally I don't think the story is worth translating to film

it was a fun read but I'm not sure I'd want to watch it

I suppose if it's a movie instead of a miniseries I'd be more likely to check it out as I'd want to watch it all at once

• 4 weeks later...

I may be mistaken but I thought it was one of their higher rated shows? I wonder if they even gave it a series finale or if it ended on a cliffhanger. I dunno, I just think it's really a big slap in the face every time SyFy does this. They've had good shows but I don't think they are a good network anymore.

Archived