DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Blood on the rocks

Sharaman

Could the Dragon's blood actually be the Dragon's Blood? As in, Seanchan Blood? (Im sure I spelled that wrong...) Its just an idea, and the whole spilling thing would get confusing, but I dont see any conclusive evidence against it, nor for anything else. Could anyone give me more information on the possibility of this?

Thanks in advance!

I'm not sure what connection Seanchan blood has with the Dragon's blood. The Dragon's blood could refer to Rand's blood, the blood of his family, or the blood of his people, but none of those fit for Seanchan.

Where are the restrictions? Seanchan Blood sworn to him would be the "Dragon's Blood" just like the Aiel are the "People of the Dragon."

Rand's Father was Aiel so there is a bloodline connection there, not so with the Seanchan.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could the Dragon's blood actually be the Dragon's Blood? As in, Seanchan Blood? (Im sure I spelled that wrong...) Its just an idea, and the whole spilling thing would get confusing, but I dont see any conclusive evidence against it, nor for anything else. Could anyone give me more information on the possibility of this?

Thanks in advance!

I'm not sure what connection Seanchan blood has with the Dragon's blood. The Dragon's blood could refer to Rand's blood, the blood of his family, or the blood of his people, but none of those fit for Seanchan.

Where are the restrictions? Seanchan Blood sworn to him would be the "Dragon's Blood" just like the Aiel are the "People of the Dragon."

Rand's Father was Aiel so there is a bloodline connection there, not so with the Seanchan.

That still doesnt limit "blood." I agree that it could likely be the Aiel, but so far I havent heard anything against it except that it has to be literal blood. With the Seanchan version of the KS saying the dragon will serve the empress, it is very likely that there will be some of the Blood sworn to him.

EDIT: Wasnt it his mother? I thought she was a maiden, and his father someone involved with Cairhein? sorry, Im not too clear on this.

I think it likely that their version was changed from the original "The Dragon will be served by the Empress" and their society could not take it that way. Thats what i have always thought, not involving this thread. And all it would really take for him to get some of the blood to swear to him would be to travel to them and say "hi, wanna serve me? Im Ta'veren, the strongest ever. Dont try and resist." Perin has had rulers of lesser rank than the Blood swear to him, and he is much less powerful in a Ta'veren way,

Thanks in advance!

The restrictions come from the Prophecies saying the Dragon's blood, and what the english language could mean by the term "Dragon's blood". Seanchan Blood sworn to the Dragon is not synonymous with the Dragon's blood (for one thing, you've inserted a capital letter in there. That would change the meaning. And why wouldn't they be the Dragon's Seanchan?). "Red on black, the Dragon's blood stains the rock of Shayol Ghul." "black rock wet with blood." The former quote is the Prophecies, the second is Min's Viewing. Min's Viewing requires literal bloodshed, and the only literal blood which fulfills the part of the Dragon's blood is Rand's.

I think it likely that their version was changed from the original "The Dragon will be served by the Empress" and their society could not take it that way.

It was "he will bind the nine moons to serve him." And it was probably changed by Ishamael.
Thats what i have always thought, not involving this thread. And all it would really take for him to get some of the blood to swear to him would be to travel to them and say "hi, wanna serve me? Im Ta'veren, the strongest ever. Dont try and resist." Perin has had rulers of lesser rank than the Blood swear to him, and he is much less powerful in a Ta'veren way,
That's not how ta'veren works. It will give him what he needs. If he doesn't need Seanchan Blood swearing to him, they won't be compelled to do so.

Edit for parentage: His father was a clan chief, his mother was Tigraine, daughter heir of Andor

Who we know now was actually descendant from Rhea who was kidnapped from the Aiel.

Interview: Apr 23rd, 2010

JordanCon 2010 Q&A Report - Terez (Paraphrased)

Terez

When I was in line, I asked Brandon and Harriet (mostly Harriet, since she was signing my books) if the Andoran royal line is descended from Rand's Aiel line (see this post).

Harriet McDougal Rigney

I got a lovely smile from Harriet that told me she was pleased that someone had finally figured that out, and she said that she believes I am exactly right about that. She was a little sketchy on the details, though, and so was Brandon, so Brandon said it was essentially a MAFO. So I talked to Maria after that session, and she was taking a break so I didn't want to ask her about it just then, so I asked her if I could message her about it, and the other MAFO we got today, and she said yes, so I will hopefully be hearing more about that soon. Brandon asked me not to put that one in the interview database until I hear from Maria about it.

Footnote

I never did get an answer from Maria, so I'm putting this bit in anyway.

Thanks in advance!

The restrictions come from the Prophecies saying the Dragon's blood, and what the english language could mean by the term "Dragon's blood". Seanchan Blood sworn to the Dragon is not synonymous with the Dragon's blood (for one thing, you've inserted a capital letter in there. That would change the meaning. And why wouldn't they be the Dragon's Seanchan?). "Red on black, the Dragon's blood stains the rock of Shayol Ghul." "black rock wet with blood." The former quote is the Prophecies, the second is Min's Viewing. Min's Viewing requires literal bloodshed, and the only literal blood which fulfills the part of the Dragon's blood is Rand's.

The capitolization is the reason for my original post's wording. These are translations, so alot could be lost. Of course, that helps your argument, that blood cannot be Blood, but it does not guarantee it. I mean, the Stone of Tear had to have a different name in the Old Tongue, and that is in the KS. There are too many possibilities of "staining" to go through all of them, but most definatly if the Seanchan Blood sworn to Rand are at SG, then Rand himself will be there, presenting the opportunity for his literal blood to be spilled on the rocks.

I think it likely that their version was changed from the original "The Dragon will be served by the Empress" and their society could not take it that way.

It was "he will bind the nine moons to serve him." And it was probably changed by Ishamael.
Thats what i have always thought, not involving this thread. And all it would really take for him to get some of the blood to swear to him would be to travel to them and say "hi, wanna serve me? Im Ta'veren, the strongest ever. Dont try and resist." Perin has had rulers of lesser rank than the Blood swear to him, and he is much less powerful in a Ta'veren way,
That's not how ta'veren works. It will give him what he needs. If he doesn't need Seanchan Blood swearing to him, they won't be compelled to do so.

I understand that. It was a simplification. If the interpretation i presented is correct, then he will need them, and they will obey. The Seanchan almost definatly have to have another role.

Just to make this clear: I dont believe the idea I presented is more likely than many already shown. Im just trying to expose more ideas. Now that i think of it, it could be a tripple meaning (so many three's in this book). If Rand is at SG, there will be Maidens with him. The Aiel connection. Exertion causes his wound to break open (is this still correct?) so his blood will almost surely be spilled there. Where else would he reseal the DO? Its the Last Battle, the Seanchan will be there, fighting as well. All three ideas work.

I find it unlikely that Rand will reseal the DO anywhere but SG. His previous wounds guarantee that his literal blood will be spilled. If he is there, so will Maidens. I cant recall any examples of anything in the prophecies meaning two things, either one or three (I am probably extremely wrong, but oh well), and the Seanchan will make the third force. Who else has forces to spare at SG? Those at FoM are most likely all needed to defend current lands, not capable of making a strike at SG.

Sorry, kinda rambled. Please point out flaws for revision.

Thanks in advance!

The capitolization is the reason for my original post's wording. These are translations, so alot could be lost. Of course, that helps your argument, that blood cannot be Blood, but it does not guarantee it. I mean, the Stone of Tear had to have a different name in the Old Tongue, and that is in the KS. There are too many possibilities of "staining" to go through all of them, but most definatly if the Seanchan Blood sworn to Rand are at SG, then Rand himself will be there, presenting the opportunity for his literal blood to be spilled on the rocks.

If Rand is himself there and bleeding, it surely negates the need for any other interpretation, especially the more far out ones. And this one is quite far out - why does Rand need to recruit a bunch of Seanchan nobles and drag them all to the Pit of Doom so he can bleed there? Also, while the issues of translating from the Old Tongue are often referenced throughout the books, there is still nothing to back up the notion that blood might instead be Blood - and it's highly unlikely that something like this would happen with no foreshadowing. Also, as your post does ask for flaws to be pointed out for revision: capitalisation, a lot (two words), KC (Cycle begins with a C, after all), definitely.

I understand that. It was a simplification. If the interpretation i presented is correct, then he will need them, and they will obey. The Seanchan almost definatly have to have another role.

Just to make this clear: I dont believe the idea I presented is more likely than many already shown. Im just trying to expose more ideas. Now that i think of it, it could be a tripple meaning (so many three's in this book). If Rand is at SG, there will be Maidens with him. The Aiel connection. Exertion causes his wound to break open (is this still correct?) so his blood will almost surely be spilled there. Where else would he reseal the DO? Its the Last Battle, the Seanchan will be there, fighting as well. All three ideas work.

Most of Rand's forces forces will not be present in the Pit of Doom (where his blood will free men from the Shadow). That the Seanchan will have a role to play is entirely reasonable. That this role is that a bunch of nobles will be recruited by the Dragon on a whim so he can bring them with him to the Pit of Doom so he can do whatever he has planned with absolutely no foreshadowing in the text is absurd beyond belief. It's a convoluted explanation that actually makes things much less clear. Not exactly ideal, that.

Archived