DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Mordeth

LeeM.Erickson

Is Mordeth human? And by that I mean, even when he was alive during the Trolloc Wars. It was him who brought the evil to Shadar Logoth, and I've had a feeling for a long time that Fain is going to be integral to the ending of the series. There's been enough instances of the SL evil and the DO's evil counteracting each other. My question here is...what IS the Shadar Logoth evil? Where did it come from? Aginor refers to the evil from Mat's dagger as "An old thing, an old friend, an old enemy." So obviously it's something he's familiar with. Was this power evident during the Age of Legends? We've seen no mention of it as far as I know besides that cryptic line from Aginor. We know the evil didn't begin in Shadar Logoth...Aridhol only became corrupted after Mordeth arrived. Who was he and where did he come from? I think this is one of the most overlooked mysteries in Wheel of Time, but it always nagged at me. How this power manifested and where did it originate from. It's the only thing we know that can counteract the Dark One's power in the way that it does. Considering Jordan is usually really good at cluing us in to the "laws of physics" of the more fantastical elements of the series (The One Power, Tel'aran'rhiod), Mordeth's power has always been shrouded in mystery.

Any thoughts?

Guest PiotrekS

Mordeth was human, but he found "something" which we're not sure was or wasn't related to the DO. He was looking for things that could help in fighting the DO, irrespective of what it was or whether if it was evil itself. Brandon's quote is very ambigous.

I find the mystery of exactly how it happened that human hatred and paranoia gained physical manifestation in Shadar Logoth to be quite interesting from the point of view of the rules of WOT universe. I hope there is a consistent explanation rather than "it just happened because the narrative needed it".

Wasnt there an allusion to the similarity between the gholam Mat was fighting in Ebu Dar and the being he and the other guys encountered in Shadar Logoth? I had a theory posted somewhere that a gholam who had somehow survived the breaking could have lived so long, achieved a certain amount of independance/been driven insane what have you. other constructs like the Nym have been shown to live at least as long, and while the gholam do seem to feed there is no indicator about how much or how often. Perfectly willing to have my theory shot down, but it seemed obvious that the being we saw in Shadar Logoth was...diferent. Could be just first book syndrome of course.

Wasnt there an allusion to the similarity between the gholam Mat was fighting in Ebu Dar and the being he and the other guys encountered in Shadar Logoth? I had a theory posted somewhere that a gholam who had somehow survived the breaking could have lived so long, achieved a certain amount of independance/been driven insane what have you. other constructs like the Nym have been shown to live at least as long, and while the gholam do seem to feed there is no indicator about how much or how often. Perfectly willing to have my theory shot down, but it seemed obvious that the being we saw in Shadar Logoth was...diferent. Could be just first book syndrome of course.

Ialways took it that Mordeth just turned into a shadow id say. Like a wisp of the fog its self in Shadar Logoth.

Mordeth is one of my most hated characters -- he reminds me of my sister-in-law, lol.

I think Mordeth was an example of how people can get it seriously, seriously wrong when they think they are seriously, seriously right. I worried a lot about Galad, for most of the series, because I feared he would become one of these super anti-evil people that turn into something that's on a level with evil.

A few examples of super anti-evil-morphing-into-evil people:

1) Elaida -- not evil just had too many run-ins with the stupid stick

2) Asunawa & the Whitecloaks -- mass stupid-stick encounters

3) Masema -- no comment needed

4) Fortuona -- oh yes, little Tuon is going to give the world a headache unless Mat can stop faffing around and exert some influence on her.

I think whatever happened when Mordeth and Fain fused, has created something really, really weird and nasty. But I don't think his role in Tarmon Gaidon is going to be crucial - I think RJ and now Brandon use Fain to keep us all on the edge of our seats. Morfain/Faindeth is probably going to do the whole proverbial bite Rand's finger off (LOTR - Gollum, who funnily enough also had twin issues) just as Rand is about to Get It Done at Tarmon Gaidon, while Demandemon is busy with Mat. I don't think Fain is anything more, plot-wise, than a tool to keep our hearts in our mouths and the suspense...suspenseful, right up until crunch time. That's my take, anyway!

Archived