DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Name of the Wind

NetSlider

Rothfuss is adament that the Adem were not based on anything else. He claims to have gone out of his way to avoid any kind of "based on" tags. In reality, yeah, they mimick several real life and literary groups.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

liked both books. Not a fan of Kvothe's love interest (cant remember her name). the fact that there is a scene where a character explains to Kvothe who she is and why you should not judge her feels like it was forced into the story after the fact.  But all his friends in the uni are great.

liked both books. Not a fan of Kvothe's love interest (cant remember her name). the fact that there is a scene where a character explains to Kvothe who she is and why you should not judge her feels like it was forced into the story after the fact.  But all his friends in the uni are great.

Her name frequently changes but Kvothe knows her as Denna.  I like Denna as a character, she is one of the story's great enigmas, both in personality and in plot, but the ethics of her decisions, like many of the characters in the Kingkiller Chronicles are questionable.  She isn't the type of person I would invite over for dinner or be friends with, despite the fact that she appears to be a protagonist, at least thus far in the story. 

Am I crazy, or was anyone else disappointed that the Maer didn't at least issue an arrest warrant for Kvothe.  When he runs off to learn the Amar sword forms, still with the Maer's gold... he is basically stealing the gold.  Sure he sends a letter, but that just makes it audacious!  It took me out of the story because I was so expecting the Maer to be pissed off at Kvothe over that.  Instead we get a subplot about the Ruh, which is only useful insofar as it reveals more of Lackless's character.

It also gets annoying that basically growing up Adema Ruh + living on the streets = I KNOW EVERYTHING!!!! 

Otherwise I loved the series and can't wait for the 3rd book!  Also totally didn't connect that Kvothe's mom is a Lackless, so maybe Whats-in-the-box effects Kvothe even more!

Archived