DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

ZOMG Unbelievable!

hazelkrs1

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

(oh, and btw, i think you'd be able to get along with most new yorkers. i always did, and i'm not good at the getting along thing. new yorkers know how to give you space where there isn't any and not make eye contact.)

I actually find that difficult to deal with or get used to. No eye contact in public makes me uncomfortable. I feel like were all in some futuristic sci-fi movie like Logan's Run or something like that in which everything is so bleak that we can't look each other in the eye

no. it's like you're in an incredibly overcrowded space and you have no room to live or to breathe or to just have one second to not be seen or jostled, and if in addition to all this closeness you were being stared down, it would be compeltely unbearable, and you'd feel like you were under attack. which i never did there, but often do here. and the looking people in the eye thing can be a form of aggression among primates, along with the smiling. and i've always found that people who look you in the eye and smile are no less likely to stab you in the back than those who give you some space and politely avert their eyes when they can.

and by you i mean me.

I see the necessity for such a practice, but it still felt alien to me. And I don't mean I want to have people staring at me, but there just seems to be this thing there that everyone is dedicated to having as little meaningful human interaction in public as possible. I'm the kind of person that likes talking to strangers and having odd conversations with someone you've never met before.

Archived