DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Is Fain 3 evils

So i am reading the books yet again. I just came to the point in the book where they are all in the ways. Lan mentions someone is following them ... Fain after rand and co. We all know that he gets done up by the dark one, and shadar logoth. so once he gets caught up in what ever is in the ways would make him 3 times corupted by evil. so i guess that makes him 3 times unique in the age cause it has never happend before.

every one else's thoughts on this?

Yeah, I don't doubt that his communion with Machin Shin has affected him, and there is evidence he's been using the Ways a lot during this time when we haven't seen much of him. But it's still essentially the same sort of evil as the Shadow...just a different manifestation of it with different quirks.

And since the other one is the evil of SL: What puzzles me about Fain is this. Rand brought the 'opposing evils' of SL and the taint together in mutual annihilation. Why hasn't Fain self-destructed in a similar manner?

I've just realised that Rand's two wounds don't neutralise each other, either.

Both Fain and Rand are human (in the case of Fain, that may be doubtful!) and alive. Perhaps this provides a sort of bridge between the two evils. In Rand's case, Flinn sealed those two wounds away from the rest of him, or possibly he might end up mad like Fain!

I recall a Fain POV telling that he got new powers from the merge. Do not rember which book or the scene; nor the exact words.

The Rand tracking ability was Fain's from the Dark One.

Lord of Chaos tells he is able to detect Darkfriends. That I suspect was Mordeth's.

The illusion creating ability (Great Hunt Chapterb 10, Winter's Heart Chapter 33) might have been from the merge. If not from the merge, then Fain's.

Mist creating in Towers of Midnight; most likely either Mordeth's or from merge.

I recall a Fain POV telling that he got new powers from the merge. Do not rember which book or the scene; nor the exact words.

RJ went into some detail on that in interview.

The Rand tracking ability was Fain's from the Dark One.

Lord of Chaos tells he is able to detect Darkfriends. That I suspect was Mordeth's.

The illusion creating ability (Great Hunt Chapterb 10, Winter's Heart Chapter 33) might have been from the merge. If not from the merge, then Fain's.

Doubtful, since it seems to stem from Mordeth's real-but-not-real body in Shadar Logoth. The illusion in Far Madding and Sammael both suggest that he can only create illusions of people who were killed by the evil of Shadar Logoth. You can add the flytrap house to that, if you like.

Mist creating in Towers of Midnight; most likely either Mordeth's or from merge.

That was almost certainly Mashadar itself, though Mordeth was never able to wield it (and indeed was vulnerable to it, if not in the same way as everyone else).

Archived