DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Any techies out there?

Planning on buying a laptop today hopefully. Dont want anything really flash but at same time nothing rubbish. Want mid range capability...although wouldnt mind playing The Old Republic when it comes out :D

Anyone able to advise me on what sort if specs I should look for? In particular I dont know much about procesors and graphics and wifi speeds...what sort of range of specs is good these days?

The Old Republic would likely require at least a 512 mb video card (running on low graphics), at least 2gb of RAM and a 2.3Ghz dual core processor (my estimates, as they haven't released minimum requirements yet). If you want to spend a bit more money, go for a laptop with an i5 or i7 processor, but the dual core should be enough for most games.

Hope this helps!

Arlow :)

If you are looking to save a little money and maybe space... you can look at an AMD A8. Supposed to have the graphics card and CPU on the same chip. It would be considered equal to some of the low end graphics cards out right now. However, unless you are trying to play the Old Republic on its max graphics settings it will probably be more than enough. Google the reviews. (remember, The Old Republic is supposed to be an MMO, so they usually set it up so that people with less than stellar setups can play) If you want to spend the cash... I7 baby... Dual core will more than be enough... but... dual is old tech!

since you're all here, may i ask - laptop for a 9-10 yo boy who likes shooting games and needs some good parental controls he will have trouble hacking. and one for an 11-12 year old girl who likes girly computer things and research, and maybe mystery type games.

any guidelines? looking to go fairly cheap but sturdy. plan on buying new ones within a couple years though.

cheep as you want for the girl. Anything these days will run multiple web browsers and mystery games. Cheap now a days doesn't mean no power. Just figure out how big a display she wants... then by a cheap one with that display!

As for the boy, shooting games usually means not cheap. It depends on how old the shooting games are. If he wants to play the latest, greatest games at decent speeds... That does not equal cheap. While your daughter could get away with a $300-$400 laptop easily... your son is probably thinking of something more in the range of $800. As for parental control, can't help you there. It is going to have to be software based and/or router based and my son just isn't old enough for me to worry about that yet! Dell, Bestbuy, walmart. Look around at these places. For shooting games, the computer will probably need some kind of video card capability....An AMD APU MIGHT work... but it isn't exactly high powered for games such as those....

since you're all here, may i ask - laptop for a 9-10 yo boy who likes shooting games and needs some good parental controls he will have trouble hacking. and one for an 11-12 year old girl who likes girly computer things and research, and maybe mystery type games.

any guidelines? looking to go fairly cheap but sturdy. plan on buying new ones within a couple years though.

For your girl i would definately recommend a netbook, you can usually get them in all kinds of colours

They are small portable, work great on the internet and with smaller games.

Now if your son plays newer type shooting games like Battlefield 2 or soemthing like that he would need a larger laptop, than a netbook.

And for parental controls, you would have to set up an administrative account and then just have a user for him that is limited.

my 2 cents :)

thank you! i am thinking older shooting games will do for the boy... i can't spend twice as much on him, his sister will kill him.

(btw, not my kids, my friends', but i've been buying their good will since they were born, and this christmas it's gonna be new laptops, but those guys at best buy are not at all helpful.)

that looks great, thanks! i hope it will work well for both. she doesn't game, but she does comparison shop. and she writes a lot, and takes videos (or whatever you call them nowadays), though she hasn't fiddled with them on her computer yet, it's probably because her computer's older than her cameras.

I would aim for something with an AMD A6 for the boy... Graphics are better than Intel onboard stuff yet price is still fairly modest. And it SHOULD be able to do newer games... just not make them look all that pretty. :tongue:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/ASUS+-+Laptop+/+AMD+A-Series+Processor+/+15.6%22+Display+/+4GB+Memory+/+500GB+Hard+Drive+-+Brown+Suit/2881042.p?id=1218360613837&skuId=2881042

Archived