DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

This is gonna be epic

• 2 weeks later...

You know what's even better than studying music? Taking a class that will studying various pieces of science fiction and fantasy literature....the Wheel of Time was specifically mentioned in the class description :biggrin:

Hmmm maybe I should ask him if he is lol He is the Dean of my department so who knows but it should be a very interesting class...I also had to watch Cowboys and Aliens for it...which my family was quite thrilled for (not really actually but we all survived the movie)

I took a class in SF once. It was strictly SF, though, and didn't cover fantasy at all. WoT might have only been at one book at the time, and I was in my stretch of having nothing but disdain for fantasy anyway. Everyone had to write a paper on an SF book series; I chose Dune (which had no books by the son yet). We watched the Frankenstein (the 1931 version, of course), Them, The Seventh Sign... and Spaceballs. May the Schwartz be with you.

This class is covering almost all things through science fiction (cowboys and aliens), westerns (first novel up is True Grit with the accompanying movie), fantasy (WoT, Harry Potter), and vampires (to which we're only reading Twilight? That one boggles me but *shurgs*)

Nevertheless, gave me an excuse to bring all the books to school and I get to read the Eye of the World again...for the third time?

I'd think you can hardly get an in-depth, worthy discussion of vampires by just reading Twilight. Better would be to read the original Dracula, maybe watch the Bela Lugosi version, Salem's Lot by Stephen King, and top it off with an examination of the real life of Vlad the Impaler.

He just wants to briefly touch on vampires and their increased media presence after Twilight, and as such we are reading Twilight (I justified buying that book by only paying a penny for it!). He wants us to mainly concentrate on the crossroads of science fiction, fantasy and westerns, looking at how they each evolved and how they have intertwined at various periods throughout time.

And our project for the class is to write our own story using one of the genres we are studying. I'm thinking of writing something that's a cross between science fiction and fantasy by messing with time periods and giving people some cool 'powers' :biggrin:

I'd think you can hardly get an in-depth, worthy discussion of vampires by just reading Twilight. Better would be to read the original Dracula, maybe watch the Bela Lugosi version, Salem's Lot by Stephen King, and top it off with an examination of the real life of Vlad the Impaler.

I lied about the vampire study part, we're also reading Marked. i think we're reading something else too about vampires but can't remember for sure.

• 1 month later...

He just wants to briefly touch on vampires and their increased media presence after Twilight, and as such we are reading Twilight (I justified buying that book by only paying a penny for it!). He wants us to mainly concentrate on the crossroads of science fiction, fantasy and westerns, looking at how they each evolved and how they have intertwined at various periods throughout time.

And our project for the class is to write our own story using one of the genres we are studying. I'm thinking of writing something that's a cross between science fiction and fantasy by messing with time periods and giving people some cool 'powers' :biggrin:

Take a look at the steampunk movement. It's a blend of sci-fi and victoriana think HG Wells' The Time Machine and others such as the Golden Compass, sorry the author escapes me. It sounds like a frikken awesome unit! Beats intro to curriculum (for my teaching degree) anyday!

Take a look at the steampunk movement. It's a blend of sci-fi and victoriana think HG Wells' The Time Machine and others such as the Golden Compass, sorry the author escapes me. It sounds like a frikken awesome unit! Beats intro to curriculum (for my teaching degree) anyday!

Phillip Pullman

If you enjoy steampunk, have you read The Difference Engine by William Gibson and Bruce Sterling? It's probably the best steampunk novel ever written, and it would rank in my top 5 for the alternate history genre as well.

If you enjoy steampunk, have you read The Difference Engine by William Gibson and Bruce Sterling? It's probably the best steampunk novel ever written, and it would rank in my top 5 for the alternate history genre as well.

I've not read it but I'll add it to my list for when I have time! Between kids, the house and everything else I do, reading for enjoyment is way down the bottom of my to do list lately. I'm taking a break from uni for a move interstate so hopefully I have some extra time for novels then! I'm actually on attempt #4 or #5 of trying to finish WoT, things just keep getting in the way and I'm trying to gather the books via our local 2nd hand bookstore as I go, because borrowing them from the library doesn't cut the mustard. So no one spoil any of the books past about book 8 please!

I've not read it but I'll add it to my list for when I have time! Between kids, the house and everything else I do, reading for enjoyment is way down the bottom of my to do list lately. I'm taking a break from uni for a move interstate so hopefully I have some extra time for novels then! I'm actually on attempt #4 or #5 of trying to finish WoT, things just keep getting in the way and I'm trying to gather the books via our local 2nd hand bookstore as I go, because borrowing them from the library doesn't cut the mustard. So no one spoil any of the books past about book 8 please!

Your in for a treat, Tal. Lots of surprises in the next few books. And you've got until mid to late next year to catch up before the last book aMoL comes out.

And a move, where in our great land are you moving to?

Your in for a treat, Tal. Lots of surprises in the next few books. And you've got until mid to late next year to catch up before the last book aMoL comes out.

And a move, where in our great land are you moving to?

Awesome I look forward to time off uni for lots of reading then!

Long story... a few months ago hubby applied for a farm job in WA (Western Australia for those of you not down under) anyway the fellow took a few weeks to get back to us in which time the farm where we are now was put on the market and we were offered 6mos pay to stay until settlement (jan/feb 2012) anyway hubby wants the money so we declined the job. Anyway a week or so ago, the fellow rings back and says that the job is still there if we want it. The farm is up for auction on the 27th of this month and after that our potential employer is flying over to visit us. So all going well there we will be organising a huge move to Boyup Brook, WA (about 1.5hrs inland from busselton and margaret river) in jan/feb. Very exciting!

Archived