DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Has anybody read.....

Clayden69

• 2 weeks later...

hum..... nobody lol

well, I recommend Orthe to any sci-fi/fantasy fans. I'm not usually a huge fan of sci-fi prefer my fantasy without loads of science nonsense ;) Mary Gentle creates a fantastic world

The Isavalta Trilogy, i was actually hoping to find sum people who have read this as i have only read the 1st book and wanted to know peoples opinions on the 2nd and 3rd. The 1st is good, typical fantasy; magic, nations at war blah blah blah

a)The Isavalta Trilogy by Sarah Zettel?

b)Orthe by Mary Gentle?

I have never EVER heard of either one of these two authors before.

Can you tell me some more about them and their books?

I can't give too much info on the authors as i have only read the 1 book from each. ;)

Orthe, Mary Gentle- I do know that Mary Gentle is the author of Ash, which i believe is quite a successful novel, has sold lots in multiple countries. Thats only what i think tho not 100% sure.

The book Orthe i found very very good. It's set in the future in a universe that has transworld travelling and trading betwen different. A group of scientists from Earth travel to the world of Orthe to discover more about the peoples of this world and to set up trade. It's believed by the humans visiting Orthe, that it is a pre-technological society ut in fact it is actually a post-tech civilization. They may be a post-technological society but not because of "lost-knowledge" (a la WoT AoL) but because they have shunned this technology. It has been a long time since i read the book, i think that there is a fair amount of lost knowledge but the main reason for the lack of advanced technology is because they have shunned it. I found this concept quite refreshing to the "lost knowledge" concept as the latter occurs more regularly in sci-fi/fant. A journey across the world ensues (WOW!! that never happens in fantasy ;)) You then get the usual world building and "local" history. I personally think that the world Mary Gentle creates is brilliant.

The Isavalta Trilogy Book 1 A Sorcerers Treason (only 1 I've read)-The book starts in the real world. The main character is a young woman called Bridget Lederle. Bridget is the keeper of a lighthouse when 1 night a mysterious stranger washes up on shore. She takes him in and treats him. She then finds out that he is from another world and has come to take Bridget back to her true home world of Isavalta. Now forgive me it has been a while since i read the book so some details could b awry. Bridget is a powerful sorceress in Isavalta and is the daughter of 2 former heroes of a nation in Isavalta, sorry I cant recall the different names of the nations in Isavalta nor can I remember whether she is told this before she travels or if she learns of it when she gets to Isavalta. Bridget is needed by the same nation her parents saved previously. Then naturally once in the new world the stranger isn't all he seems to b, other factions are after Bridget (or rather her power). The book has some very very good plot twists. Theres the usual dose of fantasy creatures, the fox spirits are BRILLIANT. I thought the magic system in the book was pretty cool. Once again I can't remember all the exact details (sorry, bad memory ;)) but from what i can remember, to use magic u needed to braid it into an object(like braiding ur hair) or weave into a pattern, though I'm sure there is more to it. There are cases in the book where the magic is "worked" into clothes, bracelets etc. And 1 part i found really cool was where a magician braided bread dough, worked some magic into it, then baked and fed to a different character to get them to talk. And obviously with Bridget being the main character not all the rules apply to her.

I really enjoyed both books. Tbh I don't know why i haven't finished reading The Isavalta Trilogy because A Sorcerers Treason is a greta 1st book. Writing this out has made me realise how much i actually did enjoy it.

Hope this helps, 1st time I've ever actually written something like this lol. So apologies for any grammatical errors and apologies if I have rambled on in places

Peace

I really enjoyed both books. Tbh I don't know why i haven't finished reading The Isavalta Trilogy because A Sorcerers Treason is a greta 1st book. Writing this out has made me realise how much i actually did enjoy it.

Hope this helps, 1st time I've ever actually written something like this lol. So apologies for any grammatical errors and apologies if I have rambled on in places

Peace

They both sound pretty good! I've been looking for new books, and will definitely give those a bash.

if anoyone reads these than let us know how there are and if we should add them to the RR thread!! i'll be looking for new series to pick up as well once i get caught up on my reading list, so be sure to let us know!!

Peace

They both sound pretty good! I've been looking for new books, and will definitely give those a bash.

Hope you enjoy them

Archived