DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

My Thoughts on "The Gathering Storm"

I have just read the penultimate-penultimate novel in the series, the first arc of the three-part "A Memory of Light", and like with most Wheel of Time books, I enjoyed it. Sanderson made some noticeable changes in writing style and characterization from Jordan, but the book was coherent and enjoyable, almost as much so as if Jordan himself wrote all of it instead of bits and pieces. Anyways, I noticed it featured some very awesome scenes and it makes Tarmon Gai'don that much more imminent. I somewhat reluctantly now begin "Towers of Midnight" tomorrow, and soon I'll be through my first read of the series, which does have a ring of hollowness to it but also gives me time to explore other things and re-explore the earlier novels in this series until the last book comes out. And then that will be the ultimate finality.

Enough of that, I'd rather delve into the awesome and not-so-awesome parts that stuck out to me while reading for the first time "The Gathering Storm." I don't know quite where else to share my review for this novel, so as I did with "Knife of Dreams" a month ago, here I'll go.

I enjoyed the book's somewhat more rapid pace. Jordan's pacing has been off at times, with some story arcs dragging on for way too long, and obviously some remnants of that echo here, but the most noticeable change in writing style was the constantly shifting perspectives. In Jordan's books, the same character or group of characters would occupy anywhere from 4 to 6 chapters at a time and then vanish for the next few chapters in the book as other groups would take up those chapters. Here, one character may receive 1 to 3 chapters at a time, and then the perspective will shift. The chapters are also much shorter, which is both an annoyance and a blessing, depending on the content within those chapters. It did well to trim down on some monotonous moments, but it also made it harder to establish any one perspective as strongly, though the Rand and Egwene parts seemed pretty well focused. Mat's storyline got interesting in Hinderstrap and his encounter with Verin, but otherwise was mostly tossed aside, although I expect more importance in the next two books. Perrin's was even more pushed aside, but I'm kind of glad for that as I don't care so much for his story arc anymore (but Faile killing Masema was great). The absence of Elayne didn't bother me in the slightest, but the presence of Gawyn did. A lame character if ever there was one in the series (and obviously there are some).

Loved Verin's big reveal most of all. The Seanchan attack on the White Tower was alright and showed just how divided the White Tower really was. It was also justice well served when Elaida was captured.

On Rand, Dark Rand was at times a bit too dramatic, but I did find it bitterly touching when Tam visits him. It was their first encounter since TEoTW, and it invoked feelings of nostalgia for the earlier books. That and what followed in Veins of Gold was excellent.

Nynaeve also had some of her greatest moments as she takes more importance here than she has in the past few novels. Plus, she shows one of the few male-female friendships in the series in her encounters with Rand, although they get hostile, too.

And I expected Graendal to come back later in the book. I know she didn't die because I earlier saw her in the ToM prologue, so I was expecting to see a chapter from her perspective, but I guess I'll RAFO in the prologue to the next book just how she managed to escape. I was also under the impression that Mesaana died in this book, but instead she continues hiding, and that continues to make me appreciate her. As far as Forsaken go, she is listed as one of the "weaker" or "second-level" Forsaken by Graendal, but I still admire her because of her mysterious atmosphere. I know she's in the Tower and thought she was masquerading as an Aes Sedai, but if so, she has somehow cheated the Oath Rod. I look forward to finding out just how that happened.

And then that will be the ultimate finality.

actually depending on just how everything gets resolved in MoL I wouldn't be surprised if the universe and maybe even some of the characters are kept alive in future books, for instance maybe another installment (or several) showing what happened to the ones who survive or possibly even roping them into new adventures. although I also have this feeling after all this is over, the one power might not exist anymore (especially if this universe is supposed to one day become our real-life universe, after a few more ages or whatever) and that MIGHT make for more drab reading, depending

anyways totally agree on improved pacing and shifting perspectives. as for mesaana, I haven't finished ToM yet so I probably shouldn't comment, but I keep wondering why is everyone assuming she is hiding "as aes sedai"? maybe she is impersonating a novice or more likely accepted?

why is everyone assuming [Mesaana] is hiding "as aes sedai"? maybe she is impersonating a novice or more likely accepted?

Well, aside from the obvious (the freedom and privacy she needs), Graendal said so. Besides, there's meta data to consider - we got several clues over the years as to her identity. You can see a pretty good summery in this WoTFAQ article.

I'm fairly certain no ToM spoilers are in that article, but there's always the possibility that I've missed something :wink:

Ah, so the balefiring of Natrin's Barrow did accomplish something after all. I knew Aran'gar would die of some fault of Graendal's, but I assumed that it would happen later in Towers of Midnight, when in fact it actually happened in TGS, off-screen.

Yep. I thought it was a shame as well, to be honest it felt a bit weak, much like Osan'gars death. When I first read TGS I knew there was no way he got Graendal, didnt believe she was dead for a SECOND. And pretty much the whole reason I didnt believe it is because Rand "knew" with absolute certainty that his plan had worked, when there were things he just hadnt contemplated. There were allsorts of crazy theories on here about how she survived it, I personally just thought she had left the building and conditioned Ramshalans Compulsion to turn off after being examined or something. I like how Graendals actions ultimately caused Aran'gars death, but I dont like how Natrins Barrow was still somehow productive from Rands PoV (I mean now theres only 2 recycled Forsaken left, whereas he didnt even get chance to know about Osan'gar and Aran'gar)

One other thing though, I wasnt keen on Semirhages death scene. She became a James Bond villain in that scene. Although the aftermath of that scene is what made the book IMO. Dark Rand was amazing! I cant understand why some people say its hard to read Rand in that state of mind, I personally loved every second of it. I just wish Demandred could have seen him like that, he'd be quaking in his boots. Or even better, if Moridin saw him like that... big evil laugh moment! Using the True Power made it feel like Rand had been corrupted and tainted and marked all over again in a irreverseable way, the black background to his red...

Overall though, I absolutely loved TGS. Second favorite book. One of my favorite bits was just at the start when he yells out loud at Lews Therin, and Cadsuane was all like "oohkaaaaay" and then Rand tries to look all regal by brushing his hair back, only realizing he was trying to do it with the stump... broken hero, loved it.

Oh, and

"Do you believe that I could kill you?"

HmhmhmhahahahAHAHAHAAAAAA I want more of it! I hope Moridin gets a lot of screen time in AMoL

I disliked Semirhage's death scene. She completely lost her cool and calculating demeanor and became an overconfident bimbo in that scene. For such a master tormentor, she became such a dumb and clumsy villain, and that made me disappointed in her. The ramifications of it were solid, but her actions themselves were ridiculous.

I disliked Semirhage's death scene. She completely lost her cool and calculating demeanor and became an overconfident bimbo in that scene. For such a master tormentor, she became such a dumb and clumsy villain, and that made me disappointed in her. The ramifications of it were solid, but her actions themselves were ridiculous.

I disagree. She had just been humiliated by Cadsuane. She wants vengeance for having for image wrecked and torn to shreds. She is hellbent on getting her revenge. That sort of stuff clouds the mind.

[semirhage's] actions themselves were ridiculous.

I truly don't understand where you're coming from. This is only the second time we've seen her in torture mode. The only stupid thing she did was to torture Rand before delivering him to SG, but she knew she wasn't likely to get the opportunity after, so... She is sadistic, after all, that much has been established. What would you expect of her?

I would have expected that someone as sly as her would have had the sense to transport Rand to Shayul Ghul heeding Shaidar Haran's warning that she had only one chance left. She's known that Rand has killed other Forsaken and even though she should believe there's no way for him to be able to escape, she should have been too afraid to risk it given SH's warning. She should have transported Rand there, THEN come back and get her revenge on the Aes Sedai, for I'd imagine she was probably more enraged at them, especially Cadsuane. Then she would have been a pretty cool villain, although the story would have been very different. I feel her overconfidence was misplaced. Yes she has Rand, but she had failed once, and failure again would be death, or worse (and in her case, it was worse).

I disagree. Her anger at Cadsuane has to be nothing next to the opportunity to lay hands on LTT. Nothing she did surprised me in the slightest, although had she known Aviendha had also Bonded Rand she probably should've retreated with Min and him to a safer location first. As it is, I thought it completely believable.

Oh, and I think BF was preferable to other means of death in Semirhage's case. Had Rand killed her in any other way, an eternity of suffering was the minimal punishment she should've expected.

Archived