DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Rand - Lew Therin dialogue. Interesting...

In tFoH, Rand has a LT thought, saying something along the lines of "We make our own limits, and make them bigger than we should."

I don't remember anything like that. a quote with a chapter number would help.

It's tFoH

We all have our limits. And we set them further out than we have any right.

Seems to be the exact quote, though I can't find a chapter number... Id' also like to see the context if anyone has the pdf, they should be able to find it

It is when Rand is creating the platform for skimming to Caemlyn from Cairhien. Chapter number eludes me but it is close to the end. Rand creates a large platform but when he tries to double its size it starts to become incorporeal and he begins to sink. "Lews Therin" tells Rand that the mind creates its own limits. I believe what Cade is trying to say is that at that point in tFoH Rand was still doubtful about his power and afraid of the destruction it could cause so he mentally limited what he was completely capable of. But once Rand and Lews Therin merged, he is now able to tap a limitless (or as a high a limit as a human can reach without burning himself out)amount of the One Power. Makes sense to me.

EXACTLY!

Now don't get me wrong, I don't think his power is limitless, I just think through a combination of: A, Rand realising that him, and all the other 'dragons', are the same person - and so, absorbing their experience to an extent. B, Rand truly grasping his role as Dragon, and vestige of the Creator and so stepping into the power that he NEEDS to be able to effectivey combat the DO. C, lastly, I think Rand has finally realised what we all realised long ago, and a point RJ was trying to make - no one knows anything, and much information or knowledge is based on opinion and distortion. Rand has realised that he, the pattern and the world need him to be as powerful as he can be, and so he is.

Alot of that is just spontaneous philosophy, so expect flaws and etcccc.

Pg 840 'Was that because this was as large as the thing could be made? Or was it because he had not thought of it larger at first? We all make our limits. The though slid up surprisingly from somewhere. And we set them further out than we have any right.

EXACTLY!

Now don't get me wrong, I don't think his power is limitless, I just think through a combination of: A, Rand realising that him, and all the other 'dragons', are the same person - and so, absorbing their experience to an extent. B, Rand truly grasping his role as Dragon, and vestige of the Creator and so stepping into the power that he NEEDS to be able to effectivey combat the DO. C, lastly, I think Rand has finally realised what we all realised long ago, and a point RJ was trying to make - no one knows anything, and much information or knowledge is based on opinion and distortion. Rand has realised that he, the pattern and the world need him to be as powerful as he can be, and so he is.

Pg 840 'Was that because this was as large as the thing could be made? Or was it because he had not thought of it larger at first? We all make our limits. The though slid up surprisingly from somewhere. And we set them further out than we have any right.

The last part seems to to be reminiscent, and not really referring to Rand. I would assume he's referring to human's foolish ambitions. Possibly the drilling of the bore and search for power specifically. He seems to suggest overreaching is a bad idea.

I don't subscribe to Rand being godly pre or post VoG. Though that argument is going on in another thread.

EXACTLY!

The last part seems to to be reminiscent, and not really referring to Rand. I would assume he's referring to human's foolish ambitions. Possibly the drilling of the bore and search for power specifically. He seems to suggest overreaching is a bad idea.

I don't subscribe to Rand being godly pre or post VoG. Though that argument is going on in another thread.

Well said. This limit might not directly be related to strength in one power but how you use the OP and second part is basically a caution.

Archived