DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

WoT encyclopedia website down

I was curious why the WoT encyclopedia website www.encyclopaedia-wot.org/ was down, if anyone knew, or maybe it's just my computer. I find it essential with so many characters & plot lines to keep track of & no other site I've found is nearly so comprehensive a collection of information.

It happens every now and then. Server upgrades, I imagine. It will be back up within a day or so. In the meantime, try using the Wiki instead - it's not as accurate, but it's a decent substitute in a fix. Another alternative, probably better than the Wiki, is the Tar Valon library.

Guest Emu on the Loose

I've always wondered why those sites don't combine their resources under one (Dragon?) banner. Encyclopedia WOT is usually my go-to for its thoroughness, but sometimes I've had to resort to one of the two other wikis. It's an awful duplication of labor...although I guess if the people responsible enjoy their work, then more power to 'em.

I was curious why the WoT encyclopedia website www.encyclopaedia-wot.org/ was down, if anyone knew, or maybe it's just my computer. I find it essential with so many characters & plot lines to keep track of & no other site I've found is nearly so comprehensive a collection of information.

I can't get in either. I hope they get it up and runing soon, it's a very useful site.

I've always wondered why those sites don't combine their resources under one (Dragon?) banner. Encyclopedia WOT is usually my go-to for its thoroughness, but sometimes I've had to resort to one of the two other wikis. It's an awful duplication of labor...although I guess if the people responsible enjoy their work, then more power to 'em.

Well, the encyclopedia has most of its knowledge chronologically, which isn't always the easiest way to read about something, if you want everything about one particular subject. For that, the wikis are generally better, imo. The encyclopedia is great for finding out where in the books to look for something, though, or if just want to check quick facts.

I've always wondered why those sites don't combine their resources under one (Dragon?) banner.

From what I understand, Bob Kluttz is very territorial about it. I had the same thought recently when Brandon brought up the idea of doing a massive annotation project. Certain people who were interested in working on it were also fearful of infringing on said territory, which is part of why the idea fell apart.

Well, the encyclopedia has most of its knowledge chronologically, which isn't always the easiest way to read about something, if you want everything about one particular subject. For that, the wikis are generally better, imo.

Just be careful about taking what the wikis say at face value. I've notice a great deal of inaccuracy there. I've thought about making a project out of editing it, but it's a big project with lots of corrections to be made. So for now I have an ignore policy, just because I don't have time to get caught up in it.

The wiki sites have also spoiled a few surprises for me looking up character descriptions, so I've stopped using it. I like the chronological order of the encyclopaedia site, then you can stop yourself from reading spoilers. Luckily the site is back up as of this morning so I can resume PoD.

I emailed the encyclopaedia-wot.org guys once and asked if I could use their site as a reference when editing wiki pages on the wiki (back when I thought I would actually have time to help keep it up-to-date). They seemed cool about it, but just wanted to be sure that I properly referenced them. I never ended up doing it, but I thought it would be good to include specific details from their site on the wiki, since theirs is more accurate and the wiki can be edited by anybody.

If there's a contradiction, it's always best to check it against the books. E-wot has less inaccuracy than the Wiki, but there is still some inaccuracy. For example, on the Karaethon Cycle page, forever they had that the Essanik Cycle was a translation of the KC. After who knows how many people bitched about it (several that I know of), they changed it to this:

There is another set of prophecies in Seanchan known as the Essanik Cycle. It is not known how similar or different these sets of prophecies are, but the Essanik Cycle says that the Dragon Reborn must bow before the Crystal Throne before the Last Battle.

Which is, of course, not true either. The only Essanik prophecy we know is the one at the end of TGS. In fact, the Crystal Throne thing is the basis for the belief that one version of the KC is corrupted:

]The Prophecies of the Dragon had been known in Seanchan even before Luthair Paendrag began the Consolidation. In corrupted form, it was said, much different from the pure version Luthair Paendrag brought. Miraj had seen several volumes of The Karaethon Cycle printed in these lands, and they were corrupted too – not one mentioned him serving the Crystal Throne! – but the Prophecies held men’s minds and hearts still. More than a few hoped the Return came soon, that these lands could be reclaimed before Tarmon Gai’don so the Dragon Reborn could win the Last Battle for the glory of the Empress, might she live forever. The Empress surely would want al’Thor sent to her, so she could see what sort of man served her. There would be no difficulty with al’Thor once he had knelt to her. Few easily shook off the awe they felt, kneeling before the Crystal Throne, with the thirst to obey drying their tongues.

Its back up as of now.

Also, not saying I would undertake this effort, but it would be easy to implement a wiki/encyclopedia that could restrict information based on a book list. In fact, probably would make a nice smart phone app. hint hint.

Archived