DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

An Eventful Arrival - Intro

murf2011

Arlow pulled on the reins, stopping his horse in the middle of the road, staring at the White Tower looming in the distance, awe overpowering his ability to move. He looked over to the left of the Tower, and there sat Dragonmount, alone among the rolling flatlands, before dragging his eyes to the breathtaking sight. As he drew closer to the small bridge village of Alindaer, his sense of awe turning to a nervousness that left him rethinking his idea of becoming a part of the Tower Guard. His horse didn't share his nervousness, and continued to plod along the well worn road from Caemlyn. Eventually, they reached the small village as the sun started to fall below the horizon, and Arlow only hesitated briefly before riding onto the bridge that spanned the gap between mainland and island, with nothing supporting it. He shivered, thinking of the fast flowing water beneath him, but banished it from his mind when he reached the guardhouse at the end of the bridge He dismounted and pulled his sheathed sword from where he had tied it to the saddlebags, and held it in one hand, with the horse's reins in the other. “State your business in Tar Valon,” the Guardsman said, glancing at him and seeing that he was no threat, even though he carried a sword. “I'm here to b-become a Tower Guard, sir,” Arlow replied, his stuttering caused by jittery nerves. “Very well, you may enter. Although I do not like your chances, son.” Arlow passed by the bored man, and stood gaping at the beautiful, breathtaking, Ogier built buildings for a minute before realising that he was just standing there. He wandered around Tar Valon, eventually settling into an inn at Southharbour, The Woman of Tanchico. He stabled his horse, and decided to wander the streets a bit, seeing as how night had only just arrived. The moon crept up into the sky, as Arlow found himself facing the Tower from across the broad square. Even in the dark, it stood out like a beacon of hope. He shook himself, and turned away, making his way back to the inn. Not far from his inn, a few streets away, he had made a wrong turn, into a dark alley that stank of refuse. He turned to go back to the lit streets, and found his way blocked by two men. He turned, and saw another man approaching. Arlow's fumbled at his waist, his hand grasping the hilt of his father's sword awkwardly, before pulling it out and holding it in front of him with both hands, spinning from side to side, the sword shaking in his hands, his heart racing. One of the men chuckled at this, and they moved closer, raising cudgels that had been hidden in the deep folds of their cloaks.

Edited by Arlow

Errands! It had to be errands Visar thought, annoyed at the prospect. He walked down to Southharbor, stretching his legs as he traversed roads he knew as well as the blade of his sword. Rasheta had contacts in the inn called The Woman of Tanchico, and it was at her request that he was headed there. Apparently Rasheta wanted to know what was going on down in Tanchico proper, and it was rumored that some of its patrons were recently fled from there. So it was Visar's job to find out.

While normally he didn't mind running the odd errand for her, this one struck Visar as unusually strange. Why would he be asked to be one of Rasheta's eyes and ears? No matter, best be done with it, he thought. He passed a couple of relatively narrow street corridors, and remembered that one of them was a shortcut to the Woman of Tanchico.

Changing his course at an abrupt decision, Visar scanned every dark alleyway he passed out of habit. While thieves and other unsavory folk were not common in Tar Valon, there had been increasing unrest in the city that the Tower Guard was having difficulty controlling. And unrest meant people might be more desperate or willing to do wrong.

Visar almost passed the filthy smelling alleyway with four men in it, not quite wanting to believe what he was seeing. He doubled back, and sure enough, three men were about to beat up a poor young man, who clutched a sword but was swinging it side to side in a most unthreatening manner. He probably didn't know how to use it.

"You there! Stop!" Visar shouted at the bruisers, hoping his authoritative tone would do the trick. Surprising the assailants seemed to have the opposite effect he intended, and two of them turned to attack him, cudgels raised. Visar's training took over, reacting almost without thought, rushing forward underneath the attack. He didn't have time to draw his sword, but his dagger was out in reverse grip, he blocked the first blow and turned it aside. Then Visar was closing in, his left arm snaking around his opponent's to bind with it. This particular bind straightened the man's elbow, and Visar wrenched it up so that it dislocated with a snap. He flowed out of the entanglement of the first opponent, who understandably soon screamed in shock and pain, and met the second.

His training in close combat was down to a routine: defend against the weapon, close in, and this time Visar used the pommel of his dagger to hit the man in the chin, forcing his head back Visar moved in further, taking advantage of the man leaning back off balance, and threw the man down, his head hitting the stone ground hard as he landed in a crumpled heap. That's two! Visar surged over to the young man who was being attacked and pushed him strongly aside, being sure to check the man's flailing sword so that it did not hurt him, to face the last, who had drawn a dagger. He had a look of fear and awe on his face, and Visar knew he didn't even have to hurt this one. Visar lunged forward with his dagger, shouting as he attacked in a feint. The third man didn't stick around, but took off as if the Dark One himself was chasing him.

Visar grinned, satisfied with himself, and turned back to the man he had shoved aside in his haste to protect him.

Visar first checked the assailants he had already dealt with. The first man who had attacked Visar was limping away clutching his arm; the second lay on the ground unmoving. Only slightly concerned, Visar went over to check if he was still alive. He could feel a pulse, but it was weak and the villain wasn't getting up any time soon. Then he turned back to the young man, and asked,

"You alright there, lad?"

“You there, stop!” A voice rang out into the otherwise silent night, and Arlow turned to see a man wearing a colour-shifting cloak rushing forward to face the thugs who had already turned to face him. Arlow turned back in time to catch the thug's fist on his shoulder, knocking him off balance, and as he tried to regain his balance, the Warder he had seen coming to his aid shoved him, causing him to fall over, almost impaling himself on the blade in his hand. He landed hard, jarring his now bruised shoulder on the cobblestones, and he managed to look up in time to see his saviour jump at the remaining tough, who ran without looking back. He used the wall to pull himself to his feet, and grabbed the sword from where it lay on the ground. It took him three tries to sheathe it, his hands shaking badly, and managed to get it in just as the Warder turned to face him. “You alright there, lad?” he asked, and Arlow nodded, although he doubted the stranger could see it in the dark. “I'm fine, thank you sir,” Arlow replied, and his eyes flickered to the man's colour-shifting cloak and back to his face. “You're a Warder,” he gasped, going wide-eyed with the realisation.

“I'm fine, thank you sir,” The young man replied, looking not too bad under the nearly mortal circumstances. Visar almost felt bad for shoving him out of the way; that probably had hurt, but at least it had gotten him out of the way of a more dangerous blow, he assumed. Then the youth got that wide eyed look that a lot of people did when they realized, “You're a Warder" Visar resisted the urge to roll his eyes. He got that a lot.

"What was it the cloak?" he asked sarcastically, grinning. He held out his hand in a friendly greeting, curious enough about the young man with the sword to want to know why he was out and about at this late hour of night in suspiciously dark alleyways.

"Name's Visar Falmaien, I was on my way to the Woman of Tanchico, where were you headed before these louts interrupted you?"

Visar prodded the still form of the man he had knocked out. He would have to call up the Tower Guard and let them know about the two escapees. And if he was in a generous mood, he Might carry him to somewhere that could get him looked at. Maybe. It could wait though, and Visar waited to see what the young man would say about himself.

Arlow chuckled and gripped the Warder's hand firmly, even though his shoulder ached when he moved. "I'm Arlow Sharbaeyil. I was on my way back to the inn, the same one you're going to," he replied, and rubbed his shoulder as Visar nudged the unconscious thug. Thank the Light for Warders, Arlow thought, and looked at the thug again. "I thought that Tar Valon was supposed to be the safest city in the world," Arlow muttered, then realised that he didn't know how the Warder would take it if he heard.

"A pleasure, Arlow. Mind if I accompany you to the inn?" Visar asked being polite. He had business there anyway but with this man's ill luck of finding footpads one never knew. Maybe the man had enemies, enemies strong enough to hire very brave and very foolish men to beat him up. And two had gotten away. Visar would have to give the Tower Guard their descriptions, at least that might do something though a more clever bruiser could lay low and avoid detection for weeks, even in this city.

Arlow made a wry comment, and Visar's face grew dark. He had no reply for Arlow. No matter how hard the Tower tried, the times were what they were. And that meant that Tar Valon, while certainly much safer than other cities, some of which were rumored to be frequently riotous, had its fare share of illicit crimes. And where were the guardsmen? Weren't they supposed to be patrolling this section of the street? Or perhaps this area was a shift deadzone? Visar suspected that some Guardsmen were being lax with their duty. He would certainly have a chat with them.

They made their way to the inn, their mood somewhat quiet and somber. "What business do you have in Tar Valon?" Visar finally asked, his curiosity getting the better of him.

• 4 weeks later...

They walked to the inn in silence, Arlow so lost in his thoughts about the White Tower, that he almost walked into the inn door before realising. He held it open for Visar to pass through, before following him. "What business do you have in Tar Valon?" Visar asked. "I felt that I owed the Aes Sedai for Healing my mother, so I came to join the Tower Guard," Arlow said uncertainly, unsure of how the Warder would take his statement. "I know I can't fight, but I'm hoping that I'll learn enough to be a good swordsman, good enough to have made my father proud."

Visar raised his eyebrow slightly. It seemed everyone he was running into these days wanted to join the Guard. Didn't they know what they were getting into? Smiling now, Visar nodded. It wasn't up to him to discourage someone from trying.

"I know I can't fight, but I'm hoping that I'll learn enough to be a good swordsman, good enough to have made my father proud."

"If you work hard enough, you will learn what you need to know. Being a good swordsman comes from diligent practice." Visar said simply. There was more to being a good guardsman than skill with the sword, too, but he didn't have time to explain that to Arlow. And discipline in learning the sword could easily apply to other matters of the Guard so it was a good enough place to start. He shook the young man's hand.

"I need to attend to business, I'm afraid. After your near escape, I'd recommend getting some rest. You'll need it if you want to go to the Tower in the morning. Tell them I recommended you and they'll let you right in." Visar looked at Arlow again, concerned. The man looked a little shaken up; it was doubtful that he would get any sleep in a place he didn't think was safe, and one of the villains was still on the loose somewhere nearby. Visar thought of an alternative, just to see if Arlow would feel safer about it.

"Or if you don't mind waiting a while, I'll take you there myself after I'm done. Go ahead and get your things, I'll be with you as soon as I can."

Visar parted with Arlow, who went dashing up the stairs, and went to speak with the contacts, apologizing for his tardiness. They didn't seem to mind, already having mellowed their minds with much drink. They were easy to get information out of that way, Visar found. He didn't like wasting time with small talk when there were serious issues to discuss. There was much news, and none of it was good. Rasheta Sedai would want to hear it though.

"Thank you for your information." he said quietly to the pair, a middle aged man and woman posing as a married couple, though Visar could tell they neither seemed sufficiently comfortable with each other nor aggravated with each other to possibly be married. While thanking them, he slipped an unobtrusive pouch of silver, as material thanks from Rasheta Sedai. Few people did things risky unless they had much to gain from it, and Rasheta was more generous with her coin than Visar would ever be. The matter concluded, Visar found Arlow waiting for him.

"You ready?" Visar asked, though it appeared that Arlow could not wait to get going.

"I need to attend to business, I'm afraid. After your near escape, I'd recommend getting some rest. You'll need it if you want to go to the Tower in the morning. Tell them I recommended you and they'll let you right in." When Visar said that, Arlow started to panic, No way am I going to be able to sleep!, he thought. "Or if you don't mind waiting a while, I'll take you there myself after I'm done. Go ahead and get your things, I'll be with you as soon as I can." Arlow nodded gratefully, and rushed up the stairs to his room. He hadn't unpacked his bag yet, so he grabbed it and hurried back down to the common room. He couldn't see Visar, so he leaned against the wall near the door. After a short amount of time, Arlow looked up to find the Warder standing there. "You ready?" he asked, and Arlow nodded. "What do I do with my horse?" he asked, worried that he would have to leave the animal behind.

"What do I do with my horse?"

Visar eyed the horse with some scrutiny once they reached the quaint stables the inn provided for its patrons. The horse was not a charger trained for war, but it looked like it could ride for many miles without tiring easily. From this angle, Visar could not quite tell whether it was a stallion, mare, or gelding. Perhaps men with a more familiar equestrian eye could tell.

"Well, if you don't want the horse, you can always sell it when you have a chance. . ." One look at Arlow proved that he did not appear to want to do that. "Or you could just keep it at the Tower. I'm sure it will be well taken care of there, our stables always have full staffs. And when you have time--which will probably be seldom, trainees are kept very busy their first year--you will be able to ride. It's good that you know how to ride; it's part of many a guardsman's training, even if most of them don't serve in the cavalry patrols or ride finely bred warhorses, it's a good skill to have."

Visar remembered his own introduction to riding horses, since he had not known how to before he came to the Tower. That had been a painful introduction with much falling down! He'd still have broken bones today if it were not for frequent visits to the infirmary. He could ride decently now, and through the years he had learned to fight on horseback as well, but he always preferred to fight on his own two feet, it felt more natural.

They left the inn and Visar immediately steered them towards more well lit streets, even if it would take longer to get to the Tower.

OOC: I reread that, and I was like, O.o I have a horse?? lol...

IC:

"Well, if you don't want the horse, you can always sell it when you have a chance. . ." Arlow patted the gelding when the Warder suggested selling, more to calm himself than the horse. Visar led the way out onto the streets, heading toward the Tower on brightly lit streets, Arlow following behind him, the horse pushing him forward. They walked along the dead streets, with no sign of anyone except the occasional Guardsmen patrolling the city. They reached the square in front of the Tower, and Arlow stopped to gape. It's... amazing, he thought, looking up at the white pillar that pierced the clouds. The horse nudged him forward, but Arlow stopped, not wanting to enter the grounds before the Warder. Such an act might be taken the wrong way.

Arlow

• 4 weeks later...

They finally made it to the Tower. Visar, to his home, and Arlow, to his new life perhaps. It had felt that way to Visar when he first arrived, so he knew something of the sensation of being overwhelmed. He made his way in but noticed that the footsteps following him had stopped. Turning around, he saw that Arlow was paused before the entrance, gaping at everything and hesitating.

"Yeah it is pretty big, but you'll get used to it if you stick around long enough," he said with a friendly smile. "Come on in, we don't bite."

Visar gestured for Arlow to enter, and they made their way to the stables to take care of the horse. Then on to get the man set up to become a guardsman. Not the easiest or freest life, but it kept you busy and was fulfilling all the same.

"Yeah it is pretty big, but you'll get used to it if you stick around long enough. Come on in, we don't bite." Arlow smiled nervously at Visar's comment, and followed him onto the Tower grounds, barely watching where he was going, too busy focusing on his surroundings, awed. He started focusing more on where he was going when they neared the stables, and Arlow patted Dore, his faithful horse, and took his saddlebags off of him before letting the stablehand take him away.

Arlow followed Visar throught the Tower grounds again, until they reached the barracks, where Visar walked into an empty room with four bunks. Three had items on them, but the fourth was empty. Visar directed him to put his stuff down on the fourth bunk, and waved farewell, with the words, " Training in the morning. Follow the others and it'll be fine." Arlow shifted his bags to the floor, and sat down on the bed, yawning as he did so. I hope this works out, he thought, and rolled over to go to sleep.