• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Smiley73

• Crimson_Ayla

• Nyanna al'Meara

• mmeeshal

'ello nya

Actually the exams at the end of this year are what I'll be showing the universities...

Does your school year end in December too??

yesh, and you give universities your December Grade 11 marks for preliminary acceptance and whatnot

Oo really...we just have to have yr 13 certificate with required number of credits to apply...in my case I'm trying to get teh credits to match up to German Abschluss. Eh I have to look into the exact system more :P

Here, you take your grade 11 marks, and then apply to the universities (at least if your keen, you can apply with your end of matric marks, but by then spaces are filling up, better to apply early while spots are still open), the university then may give you a preliminary acceptance (as I understand it, you are in as long as you keep your standard). There are points that you need to get to be considered for acceptance (basically your percentage in your 6 subjects all added up), but other factors come in as well, depending on your course. If you want to do medicine (which is what I want to do) you also write a National benchmark test that counts 300, added with the 600 from your end of matric marks you get a total out of 900. I think the minimum needed is 700 out of 900. The amount changes depending on your race. Some universities also provide other conditions on which to rank candidates, community service, sporting achievements, leadership abilities, being able to speak more than one language etc.

*goes off to re-check admission criteria*

For MBChB:

A pass in English (at Home or First Additional Language level) with at least 50%

A pass in Mathematics with at least 50%

A pass in Physical Sciences with at least 50%

A minimum Admission Point Score (APS) of 420

this is just to be eligible to be considered not admission likely or anything (if your marks don't get up to this they won't even consider you)

that APS means 420 out of 600 or an average of 70% across your six subjects (Maths, First and Second Language and three other chosen subjects)

this is for UCT (University of Cape Town, where I want to be going (220 spots open - ouch))

Admission probable with these marks - depending on how fierce the competition is

Race APS score (/600) NBT score (/300) Overall (/900)

Black 480 (80%) 180 700

Chinese 530 (88.3%) 220 760

Coloured 500 (83.3%) 180 700

Indian 530 (88.3%) 220 760

Open 540 (90%) 225 770

With the marks I'm getting right now I'm in - probably...

Edited by Smiley73

That is ridiculous.

...I just ...why??

because for 40 years before I was born coloured and especially black communities were discriminated against because of their skin colour, this right now is the balancing to that, a system that is supposed to give more oppurtunity to black students who do not have the resources available to compete with their richer university place contenders.

The problem there is obvious, right now it's just counter racism, fighting fire with fire you could say, not to mention there are plenty rich black people who benefit from this and plenty poor whites who are unfairly judged against because they don't have the resources other richer whites have. There is talk of changing the policy to be socio-economic instead of race-based so that black would change to very low incom and white to high-income but that probably won't happen before I apply.

In any case it won't change much, I'm Indiam/white racially so I need to get higher marks now, and changing it to economic status won't help either since I go to an expensive private school, although I would agree on principle with a socio-economic policy, while I don't with a racial one

Daaaang :( I took South Africa in moi history studies last year...it's so mean :sad:

the system is the system, it's not changing any time soon, so I must live with it...

surprising this is I know next to nothing about Apartheid, I learnt more from the History channel than from school

Do your entry requirements differ between unis?

Yup. After applying each university can either choose to accept you by giving you an offer (and only if you fulfill the requirements of the offer can you go there) or reject you. One of the ones that accepted me also asked for a pretty darn high overall average which is why I'm quite sad :(