DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Sulin's Doppleganger

MrsCactus

When Rand goes to destroy Natrin's Barrow, he opens a gateway, sends Ramshalam through, and a few minutes later, the maidens go through and scout: "...after a few moments, white haired Sulin stepped into view and nodded to Rand."

At the beginning of Towers of Midnight, when Perrin arrives at the Blight infected village they found in Ghealdan:

"Maidens scattered forward, veils in place, Sulin at their head."

Perrin's Ashaman are too tired to make gateways at this point in time, so how the heck is she getting back and forth?

It could be a darkfriend infiltrating either Perrin's or Rand's inner circle. But it's prolly a goof; I listen to the audiobooks, can someone check to see if the printed version has this same mistake?

What point (which chapter) is it that Rand destroys Natrim's Barrow? I'll take a look tonight, see if I can't find both references, but I think it'd probably be a typo... Pretty sure Sulin is with Rand; the only Maidens I can think of that are talked about by name at any length with Perrin are Bain and Chiad. Probably a few others, but Sulin being with Perrin isn't ringing any bells. If my memory serves (and it's entirely possible that it's not, I'm usually bad with names, plus it's the end of a long day and I'm tired lol), Sulin is one of those who was most irritated/angered by Rand's random disappearances and whatnot. If it's in the book as well though, I can't think that many people would have caught that, lol. I certainly didn't, though I typically don't look too deeply into things like that most of the time. There are certainly more characters than I'd be able to keep up with while writing it, so personally I won't hold it against Mr. Sanderson if he mixed it up a bit lol.

Though Brandon originally swore blind this was not a mistake, it was corrected in reprints to be a different maiden. Much the same with his statements that the sudden disapearence of the four redarms who followed Joline and the other in Hinderstap was no mistake.

Ah, I must have an 'old' version, or maybe they didn't correct audiobooks yet. I wonder why he'd swear it's not a mistake and then have it corrected.. I was certain that there must be a darkfriend masquerading as Sulin following Rand around (because i'm certain she's really with perrin).

... the sudden disapearence of the four redarms who followed Joline and the other in Hinderstap was no mistake.

I thought they were in the stableyard when Mat got there.. If it was no mistake, then they got killed and are stuck in Hinderstap...methinks I must go search old threads.

When speaking to fans, on panels or at signing events, authors make stuff up as they go along. It isn't just Sanderson, and it isn't anything insidious. They tailor their remarks to their audience, they gloss over stuff that they haven't really thought about, and if caught out on a mistake by zealous (overzealous?) fans, they fib.

That's a big part of the reason why the "word of God" argument on how we should interpret certain passages is generally unpersuasive. The real "word of God" is what is on the written page, not something the author ("God") says while trying to sell his book.

JK Rowling gave a good interview on this subject (can't find a link now). Basically, she said that when she started writing her books, she was just telling a story. She didn't realize the extent to which they would be poured over by fans, and any mistakes of continuity, etc. uncovered.

When speaking to fans, on panels or at signing events, authors make stuff up as they go along. It isn't just Sanderson, and it isn't anything insidious. They tailor their remarks to their audience, they gloss over stuff that they haven't really thought about, and if caught out on a mistake by zealous (overzealous?) fans, they fib.

That's a big part of the reason why the "word of God" argument on how we should interpret certain passages is generally unpersuasive. The real "word of God" is what is on the written page, not something the author ("God") says while trying to sell his book.

JK Rowling gave a good interview on this subject (can't find a link now). Basically, she said that when she started writing her books, she was just telling a story. She didn't realize the extent to which they would be poured over by fans, and any mistakes of continuity, etc. uncovered.

So.... in other words.... Taimandred. Gotcha.

So.... in other words.... Taimandred. Gotcha.

Maybe so, maybe so.

Isn't there a big difference in timelines? This is plausible
No. We know that Perrin's group (which has included Sulin since ACOS) does not reestablish (physical; there are clues the Wise Ones get updates in their dreams) contact with the outside world until a few days before Rand has his epiphany–a week or more after Rand balefired Natrin's Barrow–and does not return to Andor until well after it.

Isn't there a big difference in timelines? This is plausible
No. We know that Perrin's group (which has included Sulin since ACOS) does not reestablish (physical; there are clues the Wise Ones get updates in their dreams) contact with the outside world until a few days before Rand has his epiphany–a week or more after Rand balefired Natrin's Barrow–and does not return to Andor until well after it.

Unless I've lost touch with part of my recollection, the epiphany is VoG, correct?

If that is the case, Perrin & Co. do not regain contact til significantly after - Perrin and the Wolfguard+ port to whitebridge on the day of Egwene/Mesaana battle, which does not occur till some time (I can't remember off the top of my head how long) after Rands visit - so Perrin regains contact sometime betweenn the Amyrlins anger and Fields of merrilor - I would say roughly half way between as there is time to meet with Elayne and send mat off to ToG via gateway between regaining contact and going ti FoM

Archived