DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Your Christmas Songs & Music - It's A Knockout (Winner: Merry Xmas Everybody by Slade)

Corki

1. White Christmas by Bing Crosby (1)

2. (4) I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day by Wizzard

3. vs. A Spaceman Came Travelling by Chris de Burgh

4. Driving Home for Christmas by Chris Rea

Results:

1. White Christmas by Bing Crosby (1) 2-1 Carol of the Bells by the Trans-Siberian Orchestra

2. Baby it's Cold Outside by Dean Martin 1-2 (4) I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day by Wizzard

3. Fairytale of New York by The Pogues with Kirsty McColl (3) 1-2 A Spaceman Came Travelling by Chris de Burgh

4. Driving Home for Christmas by Chris Rea 1-2 Merry Xmas Everybody by Slade

Semi-Finals, Tie 1

White Christmas by Bing Crosby (1)

White Christmas is an Irving Berlin song reminiscing about an old-fashioned Christmas setting, and Bing Crosby's version is quite likely to be the best selling single of all time. Crosby first performed the song back in 1941. The song also appeared in the film Holiday Inn. It also featured in the 1954 musical, White Christmas.

2009: Winner

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7A03tpV-70k

vs.

I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day by Wizzard (4)

This popular song was released in 1973, reaching number 4 in the UK charts, being beaten by Slade's Merry Xmas Everyone. It was written and sung by Roy Wood, and is what a great Christmas song should be about! It's a shame they don't make them like this anymore!

2009: 4th place

Voting ends on Wednesday 5th January 2011 at 10pm (GMT)

Semi-Finals, Tie 2

A Spaceman Came Travelling by Chris de Burgh

It is one of my favourite festive songs. It gives one of the religious aspects of the Christmas story a slight twist, where the angel Gabriel came to give a message to the shepherds, but with a spaceship and a spaceman instead. A very clever song.

2009: 2nd Round

vs.

Merry Xmas Everybody by Slade

This was the band's 6th UK number one, when it topped the charts in 1973. It was still number 1 by mid-January, and still in the charts come February. It written by guitarist Noddy Holder and bassist Jim Leaw. The aim of the song was to create a feel good feeling after the economic woes of the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6YbLZf8i5I

Voting ends on Wednesday 5th January 2011 at 10pm (GMT)

The Grand Final

White Christmas by Bing Crosby (1)

White Christmas is an Irving Berlin song reminiscing about an old-fashioned Christmas setting, and Bing Crosby's version is quite likely to be the best selling single of all time. Crosby first performed the song back in 1941. The song also appeared in the film Holiday Inn. It also featured in the 1954 musical, White Christmas.

2009: Winner

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7A03tpV-70k

vs.

Merry Xmas Everybody by Slade

This was the band's 6th UK number one, when it topped the charts in 1973. It was still number 1 by mid-January, and still in the charts come February. It written by guitarist Noddy Holder and bassist Jim Leaw. The aim of the song was to create a feel good feeling after the economic woes of the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6YbLZf8i5I

Voting ends on Thursday 6th January 2011 at 10pm (GMT)

3rd/4th Play-Off

A Spaceman Came Travelling by Chris de Burgh

It is one of my favourite festive songs. It gives one of the religious aspects of the Christmas story a slight twist, where the angel Gabriel came to give a message to the shepherds, but with a spaceship and a spaceman instead. A very clever song.

2009: 2nd Round

vs.

I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day by Wizzard (4)

This popular song was released in 1973, reaching number 4 in the UK charts, being beaten by Slade's Merry Xmas Everyone. It was written and sung by Roy Wood, and is what a great Christmas song should be about! It's a shame they don't make them like this anymore!

2009: 4th place

Voting ends on Thursday 6th January 2011 at 10pm (GMT)

Again, a bit later than scheduled, here are the results:

In the Grand Final, the Top Seed White Christmas by Bing Crosby lost to Merry Xmas Everybody by Slade as this song secured the 2010 crown as the Band's and DM's favourite Christmas song.

3rd place went to A Spaceman Came Travelling by Chris de Burgh, which defeated the fourth seed I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day by Wizzard, winning by 2 votes to 1.

Hopefully next year won't be so rushed as I won't have such evil exams before setting this up!

Watch out for The Top 16 songs of 2010 for the next "It's A Knockout", coming shortly.

Archived