DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Your Christmas Songs & Music - It's A Knockout (Winner: Merry Xmas Everybody by Slade)

Corki

"It's A Knockout" continues its Christmasy theme with our second thread, using the songs that you chose in the nomination thread, and a few I have moved over from the Carol nomination thread.  

"It's A Knockout" remains with the longer format - and this means there are 16 songs instead of 8! Four (4) songs automatically qualified from finishing in the top 4 in the 2009 contest, six (6) have been chosen by you from both threads, with the remaining six (6) being added by me.

As mentioned, there were 4 songs qualifying from the 2009 contest. These songs have been seeded for the 2010 contest. The seeds are as follows:

1. White Christmas by Bing Crosby

2. Christmas Eve/Sarajevo by Trans-Siberian Orchestra

3. Fairytale of New York by The Pogues with Kirsty McColl

4. I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day by Wizzard

So it is now time to find out what DM's favourite Christmas song is!

Don't forget to get involved in the Christmas Carol version of this contest - click here to vote!

"It's a Knockout" - Format

For those of you who have not been involved with a "It's A Knockout" thread before, the rules are quite simple. The Band of the Red Hand is DM's travel and music Social Group, and "It's a Knockout" is a knock out competition to find out the winner of the chosen category (past categories include Micheal Jackson songs, Classical Music, One Hit Wonders). Each day (or in larger groups depending on my activity and memory!), 2 songs will be posted, along with a link so you can listen to the song if you do not know it, and all you have to do is post which song is the better of the two (or simply which one you prefer). After a day, the votes will be counted, and the winning song will progress to the next round, until we only have 1 song left as the winner at the end of the competition - which will take the crown of DM's and the Band's Christmas somh for 2010. It's very simple, so I look forward to seeing you getting involved!

So without further a-do, let the competition begin!

RESULTS

Round 1

1. White Christmas by Bing Crosby (1) beat I Believe in Father Chritmas by Greg Lake (3-1)

2. Carol of the Bells by the Trans-Siberian Orchestra beat. Breath of Heaven (Mary's Song) by Amy Grant (5-0)

3. Julvisa i Finnmarken by Sofia Karlsson lost to Baby it's Cold Outside by Dean Martin (2-3)

4. Adeste Fideles by Enya lost to (4) I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day by Wizzard (0-4)

5. Fairytale of New York by The Pogues with Kirsty McColl (3) beat God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen by Manheim Steamrollers (4-0)

6. A Spaceman Came Travelling by Chris de Burgh beat O Helga Natt (Oh Holy Night) by Jussi Björling (3-2)

7. Where are you Christmas by Faith Hill lost to Driving Home for Christmas by Chris Rea (2-3)

8. Merry Xmas Everybody by Slade beat (2) Christmas Eve/Sarajevo by Trans-Siberian Orchestra (3-1)

2nd Round

1. White Christmas by Bing Crosby (1) beat Carol of the Bells by the Trans-Siberian Orchestra (2-1)

2. Baby it's Cold Outside by Dean Martin lost to (4) I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day by Wizzard

3. Fairytale of New York by The Pogues with Kirsty McColl (3) lost to A Spaceman Came Travelling by Chris de Burgh

4. Driving Home for Christmas by Chris Rea lost to Merry Xmas Everybody by Slade (1-2)

Semi-Final

1. White Christmas by Bing Crosby (1) beat (4) I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day by Wizzard (2-0)

2. A Spaceman Came Travelling by Chris de Burgh lost to Merry Xmas Everybody by Slade (0-2)

3rd/4th Play-off

1. A Spaceman Came Travelling by Chris de Burgh beat (4) I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day by Wizzard (2-1)

Final

1. White Christmas by Bing Crosby (1) lost to Merry Xmas Everybody by Slade (1-3)

THE CHOSEN SONGS

1. White Christmas by Bing Crosby (1)

White Christmas is an Irving Berlin song reminiscing about an old-fashioned Christmas setting, and Bing Crosby's version is quite likely to be the best selling single of all time. Crosby first performed the song back in 1941. The song also appeared in the film Holiday Inn. It also featured in the 1954 musical, White Christmas.

2009: Winner

2. I Believe in Father Chritmas by Greg Lake

I actually find this song quite sad. A lost childhood, when you realise the world isn't so magical as you had been told. The tune is nice and cheery but the actual words are quite cynical. And yes I still believe in Father Christmas.

2009: 2nd round

3. Carol of the Bells by the Trans-Siberian Orchestra

A Ukrainian carol, it's one of those in the "not quite the most popular" songs at christmas, but everyone knows it. It's a very simple effective song, and it also sounds a leetle bit tension filled and ooky - although that could just be the Ukrainian style coming through. Here, it is being performed by the Tran-Siberian Orchestra

2009: 1st Round

4. Breath of Heaven (Mary's Song) by Amy Grant

poetstorm found this song on Youtube and loved it. The song comes from Grant's album Home for Christmas. It was released in 1992.

2009: N/A

5. Julvisa i Finnmarken by Sofia Karlsson

Time for a taste of Scandinavia courtesy of Majsju. This is a traditional Swedish song, here in a magic version. It is a poem by Dan Andersson, and has been converted to music, with Thorstein Bergman's composition the best known. The text is unusually harsh for a Christmas song.

6. Baby it's Cold Outside by Dean Martin

Krak loves this song, the interposing duet, and the simple, yet charming refrain that puts him in the mood for a snowy Christmas. Originally recorded in 1949, the words and music were by Frank Loesser. Martin produced his version in 1959.

7. Adeste Fideles by Enya

There are several great versions of this classic tune, so it was hard to pick one. It is the hymn, O Come All Ye Faithful, but sung in Latin. It holds a special place in my heart, since I am a Classicist, and we sung this at our school Christmas carol concert every year. I have picked Enya's version, the Irish singer who has sold over 80 million albums worldwide.

8. I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day by Wizzard (4)

This popular song was released in 1973, reaching number 4 in the UK charts, being beaten by Slade's Merry Xmas Everyone. It was written and sung by Roy Wood, and is what a great Christmas song should be about! It's a shame they don't make them like this anymore!

2009: 4th place

9. Fairytale of New York by The Pogues with Kirsty McColl (3)

This isn't a Christmas song at all, really. In fact, it's not even a happy song... it's terribly depressing. BUT, it is a brilliant, brilliant song that doesn't get played at any other time of year. Shane McGowen is a genius songwriter who captures the failed hopes and relationship of a couple on the edge of society. And, for many younger Irish people, Christmas doesn't start until they hear this song for the first time. It's usually sung at drunken sing-songs, but the lyrics and melody can bring a sneaky tear to the eye if you're not careful.

2009: 3rd place

10. God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen by Manheim Steamrollers

First of all, I love Manheim Steamrollers. They don't usually have words with the song, but they're music is tons of fun to listen to and this is one of my favorites of theirs.

2009: 2nd Round

11. A Spaceman Came Travelling by Chris de Burgh

It is one of my favourite festive songs. It gives one of the religious aspects of the Christmas story a slight twist, where the angel Gabriel came to give a message to the shepherds, but with a spaceship and a spaceman instead. A very clever song.

12. O Helga Natt (Oh Holy Night) by Jussi Björling

The Swedish translates into Oh Holy Night. Majsju has given us another Scandinavian flavour, with this version sung by Swedish tenor Jussi Björling.

13. Where Are You Christmas by Faith Hill

Co-written by Mariah Carey, James Horner and Will Jennings, the song comes from the 2000 film How the Grinch Stole Christmas. The song was originally intended to be sung by Mariah Carey, it was sung by Faith Hill instead.

14. Driving Home for Christmas by Chris Rea

Not a huge chart success in its two previous outings, it wasn't 3rd time lucky last Christmas. It has a nice feel good feeling about it as you head home for Christmas. A nice simple tune.

15. Merry Xmas Everybody by Slade

This was the band's 6th UK number one, when it topped the charts in 1973. It was still number 1 by mid-January, and still in the charts come February. It written by guitarist Noddy Holder and bassist Jim Leaw. The aim of the song was to create a feel good feeling after the economic woes of the time.

16. Christmas Eve/Sarajevo by Trans-Siberian Orchestra (2)

The Trans-Siberian Orchestra's best Christmas hit, Christmas Eve/Sarajevo takes the unique style of the orchestra's traditional instruments as well as modern instruments such as electric guitar. The music video also became an instant classic upon its debut.

Round 1, Tie 1

White Christmas by Bing Crosby (1)

White Christmas is an Irving Berlin song reminiscing about an old-fashioned Christmas setting, and Bing Crosby's version is quite likely to be the best selling single of all time. Crosby first performed the song back in 1941. The song also appeared in the film Holiday Inn. It also featured in the 1954 musical, White Christmas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7A03tpV-70k

vs.

I Believe in Father Chritmas by Greg Lake

I actually find this song quite sad. A lost childhood, when you realise the world isn't so magical as you had been told. The tune is nice and cheery but the actual words are quite cynical. And yes I still believe in Father Christmas.

2009: 2nd round

Voting ends on Sunday 26th December 2010 at 10pm (GMT)

Round 1, Tie 2

Carol of the Bells by the Trans-Siberian Orchestra

A Ukrainian carol, it's one of those in the "not quite the most popular" songs at christmas, but everyone knows it. It's a very simple effective song, and it also sounds a leetle bit tension filled and ooky - although that could just be the Ukrainian style coming through. Here, it is being performed by the Tran-Siberian Orchestra

vs.

Breath of Heaven (Mary's Song) by Amy Grant

poetstorm found this song on Youtube and loved it. The song comes from Grant's album Home for Christmas. It was released in 1992.

Round 1, Tie 3

Julvisa i Finnmarken by Sofia Karlsson

Time for a taste of Scandinavia courtesy of Majsju. This is a traditional Swedish song, here in a magic version. It is a poem by Dan Andersson, and has been converted to music, with Thorstein Bergman's composition the best known. The text is unusually harsh for a Christmas song.

vs.

Baby it's Cold Outside by Dean Martin

Krak loves this song, the interposing duet, and the simple, yet charming refrain that puts him in the mood for a snowy Christmas. Originally recorded in 1949, the words and music were by Frank Loesser. Martin produced his version in 1959.

Round 1, Tie 4

Adeste Fideles by Enya

There are several great versions of this classic tune, so it was hard to pick one. It is the hymn, O Come All Ye Faithful, but sung in Latin. It holds a special place in my heart, since I am a Classicist, and we sung this at our school Christmas carol concert every year. I have picked Enya's version, the Irish singer who has sold over 80 million albums worldwide.

vs.

I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day by Wizzard (4)

This popular song was released in 1973, reaching number 4 in the UK charts, being beaten by Slade's Merry Xmas Everyone. It was written and sung by Roy Wood, and is what a great Christmas song should be about! It's a shame they don't make them like this anymore!

Round 1, Tie 5

Fairytale of New York by The Pogues with Kirsty McColl (3)

This isn't a Christmas song at all, really. In fact, it's not even a happy song... it's terribly depressing. BUT, it is a brilliant, brilliant song that doesn't get played at any other time of year. Shane McGowen is a genius songwriter who captures the failed hopes and relationship of a couple on the edge of society. And, for many younger Irish people, Christmas doesn't start until they hear this song for the first time. It's usually sung at drunken sing-songs, but the lyrics and melody can bring a sneaky tear to the eye if you're not careful.

vs.

God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen by Manheim Steamrollers

First of all, I love Manheim Steamrollers. They don't usually have words with the song, but they're music is tons of fun to listen to and this is one of my favorites of theirs.

Round 1, Tie 6

A Spaceman Came Travelling by Chris de Burgh

It is one of my favourite festive songs. It gives one of the religious aspects of the Christmas story a slight twist, where the angel Gabriel came to give a message to the shepherds, but with a spaceship and a spaceman instead. A very clever song.

vs.

O Helga Natt (Oh Holy Night) by Jussi Björling

The Swedish translates into Oh Holy Night. Majsju has given us another Scandinavian flavour, with this version sung by Swedish tenor Jussi Björling.

Round 1, Tie 7

Where Are You Christmas by Faith Hill

Co-written by Mariah Carey, James Horner and Will Jennings, the song comes from the 2000 film How the Grinch Stole Christmas. The song was originally intended to be sung by Mariah Carey, it was sung by Faith Hill instead.

vs.

Driving Home for Christmas by Chris Rea

Not a huge chart success in its two previous outings, it wasn't 3rd time lucky last Christmas. It has a nice feel good feeling about it as you head home for Christmas. A nice simple tune.

Round 1, Tie 8

Merry Xmas Everybody by Slade

This was the band's 6th UK number one, when it topped the charts in 1973. It was still number 1 by mid-January, and still in the charts come February. It written by guitarist Noddy Holder and bassist Jim Leaw. The aim of the song was to create a feel good feeling after the economic woes of the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6YbLZf8i5I

vs.

Christmas Eve/Sarajevo by Trans-Siberian Orchestra (2)

The Trans-Siberian Orchestra's best Christmas hit, Christmas Eve/Sarajevo takes the unique style of the orchestra's traditional instruments as well as modern instruments such as electric guitar. The music video also became an instant classic upon its debut.

Banders, Please Note:

Voting in "It's A Knockout" threads counts towards posting in an activity thread for points gained through the roll call. However, in order for that to qualify, you need to post and vote at least 4 times - and sign into the roll call here!

Corki

Marshal-General

Social Group Leader

2. Carol of the Bells by the Trans-Siberian Orchestra

3. Julvisa i Finnmarken by Sofia Karlsson

4. I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day by Wizzard

5. Fairytale of New York by The Pogues with Kirsty McColl

6. O Helga Natt (Oh Holy Night) by Jussi Björling

7. Driving Home for Christmas by Chris Rea

8. Merry Xmas Everybody by Slade

2. Carol of the Bells by Trans-Siberian Orchestra

3. Julvisa i Finnmarken by Sofia Karlsson - I've never heard this song before, and I absolutely love it. It was an extremely close vote, but I went with this one because it's brand new for me.

4. I Wish it Could Be Christmas Every Day by Wizzard

5. Fairytale of New York by The Pogues with Kirsty McColl

6. O Helga Natt (Oh Holy Night) by Jussi Björling

7. Where Are You Christmas by Faith Hill

8. Christmas Eve/Sarejevo by Trans-Siberian Orchestra - This was another tough one, but to me, Sarejevo says Christmas more than Merry Xmas Everybody.

1) I believe in Christmas

2) Carol of the Bells

3) Baby its cold outside (didnt like either really)

4) I wish it could be Christmas

5) Fairytale of New York

6) A Spaceman came Travelling

7) Where are you at christmas (didnt like either really again)

8) Merry Xmas Everybody (that was close)

heh should have requested Whats This...

• 2 weeks later...

orry about the delay in moving this forward, but I have had a topsy-turvy Christmas and not being online as much as I would like.

Anyway, I will get my votes in, and move this forward.

1. White Christmas by Bing Crosby (1)

2. Carol of the Bells by the Trans-Siberian Orchestra

3. Baby it's Cold Outside by Dean Martin

4. (4) I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day by Wizzard

5. Fairytale of New York by The Pogues with Kirsty McColl (3)

6. A Spaceman Came Travelling by Chris de Burgh

7. Driving Home for Christmas by Chris Rea

8. Merry Xmas Everybody by Slade

Results:

(those in bold were winners after Corki voted to break tie)

1. White Christmas by Bing Crosby (1) 3-1 I Believe in Father Chritmas by Greg Lake

2. Carol of the Bells by the Trans-Siberian Orchestra 5-0 Breath of Heaven (Mary's Song) by Amy Grant

3. Julvisa i Finnmarken by Sofia Karlsson 2-3 Baby it's Cold Outside by Dean Martin

4. Adeste Fideles by Enya 0-4 (4) I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day by Wizzard

5. Fairytale of New York by The Pogues with Kirsty McColl (3) 4-0 God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen by Manheim Steamrollers

6. A Spaceman Came Travelling by Chris de Burgh 3-2 O Helga Natt (Oh Holy Night) by Jussi Björling

7. Where are you Christmas by Faith Hill 2-3 Driving Home for Christmas by Chris Rea

8. Merry Xmas Everybody by Slade 3-1 (2) Christmas Eve/Sarajevo by Trans-Siberian Orchestra

Round 2, Tie 1

White Christmas by Bing Crosby (1)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7A03tpV-70k

vs.

Carol of the Bells by the Trans-Siberian Orchestra

Voting ends on Tuesday 4th January 2011 at 10pm (GMT)

Round 2, Tie 2

Baby it's Cold Outside by Dean Martin

vs.

I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day by Wizzard (4)

Round 2, Tie 3

Fairytale of New York by The Pogues with Kirsty McColl (3)

vs.

A Spaceman Came Travelling by Chris de Burgh

Round 2, Tie 4

Driving Home for Christmas by Chris Rea

vs.

Merry Xmas Everybody by Slade

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6YbLZf8i5I

Archived