DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Rand's Eyesight, Taim's Darkness, & Demandred

Dasmarius

I'm not entirely sure if any of these are explained in Towers of Midnight, which I unfortunately haven't read yet, but I have three questions.

First; what is wrong with Rand's eyesight, starting in Knife of Dreams after Semirhage's betrayal, and continuing into The Gathering Storm? Where he's seeing things as if through water (although it's mentioned that it's getting better); at first I thought it was saa, but no one else mentions seeing them in his eyes, and he hadn't touched the True Power at that time.

Second, Taim has twice been mentioned (when he visits Elayne in Winter's Heart right before her first-sister ceremony, and the other when Pevara and the other Reds visit the Black Tower to bond Asha'man) to appear to "darken" the general area around him, lights, etc.; which is similar to what's mentioned when Moridin/Ishamael/BadRand is holding the True Power. That's always been a little suspicious to me, even though the Naeb'lis is supposed to be the only one who can use it.

Finally, I usually <3 the chapter icons, 'cause they give little hints towards what's going to happen within the chapter, but in Winter's Heart, the Forsaken chapter icon is used in the chapter "A Cup of Tea," wherein Elayne is fed forkroot in the Palace after Norry and Harfor go over their reports. There's no Forsaken plot in that, and the only things that were mentioned that a Forsaken could be in (and we know where all the others are except for Demandred) are the Borderlander army, or King Roedran's exploits in Murandy. I know the earlier editions of some of the books had misplaced chapter icons that were later replaced, so I'm just wondering if this is a misprint or yet another Robert-Jordan-is-messing-with-our-minds-again thing :D

/babble...

Rand's eyesight problems appears to be as Nae Bliss says, just a temporary injury caused by Semirhage's fireball. Mazrim Taim remains a mystery, and Jordan/Sanderson I believe RAFOd a question about that. The Forsaken plot in WH9 is Daved Hanlon's "rescue" and insinuation of himself into Elayne's bodyguard, planned (with the same icon) in TPOD28.

Which Forsaken was Daved Hanlon (and the part of the original Liandrin's Aes Sedai) following? I was under the impression that Moghedien had abandoned them since Moridin tied her to her cour'souvra, so they were just sitting there waiting for orders (and punishing Falion Bhoda in the interim) from someone.

“So you have some brains,” Shiaine said. By her accents, she was a noble, and she certainly had the commanding air, sweeping around the table to peer down into the bound man’s face. “I asked the Great Master Moridin to send me a man with brains. Poor Jaichim here has very few.”

Hanlon frowned, and smoothed it away immediately. His orders had come from Moghedien herself.

“So you have some brains,” Shiaine said. By her accents, she was a noble, and she certainly had the commanding air, sweeping around the table to peer down into the bound man’s face. “I asked the Great Master Moridin to send me a man with brains. Poor Jaichim here has very few.”

Hanlon frowned, and smoothed it away immediately. His orders had come from Moghedien herself.

Aha! Thanks! :D I missed that :)

Archived