DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Um... Can someone tell me why Rand...

Iceman

Because some people like to think before they act?

That's just crazy talk.

Ok, so I've only read through the series once and its been a couple years. I knew he didn't like killing women, but I'd forgotten how loopy he was about it.

...and yes, he's majorly depressed with a defeatist attitude that seems to say, "I'm screwed, I know it, I just need to get to TG so I can die."

What I don't remember though, is reading any inner dialogue of Rand's thinking about how valuable it would be to have a forsaken prisoner.

It makes sense when you think about it, but it makes sense that he would BF her and get his hand back. All the book seems to show is that he says, "Dang, lost my hand... but I'm still alive to get to TG and that's what counts."

The boy needs a few hours on the therapist's couch.

Even you concede there is merit in retaining Semirhage as a prisoner. He doesn't need his hand and he knows it. It makes infinitely more sense to keep Semirhage alive. It is not crazy' date=' its intelligent... and yes, unemotional.[/quote']

I still don't buy that he considered the value of her as a prisoner as a reason to not kill her.

Rand was on the bad end of a surprise attack. He was stunned when it happened and uncaring immediately afterward. The Aes Sedai / Ashamen had Semirhage controlled before he fully realized what had happened. He may have thought later on about how valuable she'd be as a prisoner for information, but I don't think that would have stopped him killing a foresaken that was attacking him (Yes, this is a woman, so that would stop him). He's been attacked by other forsaken several times and he didn't make any efforts to capture them for information. He just did his best to stay alive and take them out quickly. (He got lucky with that one he had when he was with the tinkers.)

Nothing I've read so far gives me reason to think Rand has had a plan to get himself a Forsaken prisoner at his earliest opportunity. He's just lucky to be alive, messed up physically and mentally as he is.

Archived