DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Luc and Isam

keravon3

I have been rereading the great hunt again and I was just wondering what the signifigance is between Luc and Isam. They must play and important role as thay are mentiond in a dark profercy writen on the walls in the doungens of Fal dDara keep along with Lanfear and Auter Hawkwings decendants, both have played an important role so far but Luc and Isam seem not to have. The paragraph of the profercy consening Luc and Isam reads

"Luc came to the mountains of doom.

Isam waited in the high passes.

The hunt is now begun. The shadows houds now

course,and kill".

It was also mentioned,or thought by Moraine, that lord Luc was brother to Tigraine(Rands moter), the than daughter-heir of Andor,and he vanished in the blight.

And isam was son of Breyan, wife of Lain Mandragoran, whoes atempt to seize the throne of Malkier for her husband had brought the trolloc hordes crashing down. Breyan and her infent son both vanished when the trollecs overan Malkier. And Isam had been(or is) blood kin to Lan.

also corect me if im wrong but in the shadow rising when Perin chases Isam in Tel'aran'riod, Isam seems to enter the tower of Gehjie(sp)to escape. Is there a link between Luc/Isam and the tower of Gehjie(sp)(Alfin/Elfin)?

Luc/Isam as Slayer has had parts to play all all through the series. Minor compared to most, true. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem likely we'll ever get more explanation as to how or why he was created, since RJ has given us so much info on the side about him without a RAFO. He has always been a big question for me too. Hopefully we will get more on him in AMoL. :?

also corect me if im wrong but in the shadow rising when Perin chases Isam in Tel'aran'riod, Isam seems to enter the tower of Gehjie(sp)to escape. Is there a link between Luc/Isam and the tower of Gehjie(sp)(Alfin/Elfin)?

Actually, we don't know Slayer went into the Tower of Ghenjei, all we really know is that he disappered in it's vicinity. Since he can step into and out of the dream wherever he wants to, it seems to me that he was laying a trap for Perrin, trying to get Perrin to THINK he'd gone into the Tower of Ghenjei so that Perrin would enter trying to follow him and be trapped.

My theory on Isam and Luc is that Isam somehow (and for some reason yet to be determined) took control of Luc's body and mind. So while in the real world he looks like Luc he still thinks like Isam so therefore in TAR (where looks can be changed on a whim) his apperance matches that of Isam, the way he truely sees himself.

My theory on Isam and Luc is that Isam somehow (and for some reason yet to be determined) took control of Luc's body and mind. So while in the real world he looks like Luc he still thinks like Isam so therefore in TAR (where looks can be changed on a whim) his apperance matches that of Isam, the way he truely sees himself.

No, both personalities exist, and he can chose between them and his appearance as he wishes, both in the real world and T'A'R. The actual change must take place in T'A'R though.

One of the big things we don't know so far is what the significance of Slayer being Luc/Isam is.

So far, about all it has done is have some people be reminded of Rand/Lan when they see him in one of his forms and allow the "kill his nephew" part of his POV scene.

There has to be something greater to come of it. Gitara sent Luc to the Blight because it would affect the outcome of Tarmon Gai'don. We must assume that there will be something essential to the good guys winning TG about Luc and Isam being used in this manner.

Gitara likely will not have known the significance of sending Luc to the Blight, just that it needed to happen.

My suspicion is that it was necessary because Slayer will be the one to kill Fain.

Well, she convinced Luc to go to the Blight by telling him that the outcome of TG depended on it. She probably didn't know why or how the outcome would be affected, though, true, but we can assume it will be for the good of the Light.

Slayer may be the one to kill Fain, but that doesn't explain the need for him to be Luc/Isam. Why couldn't two random guys put together in the same way (or even one guy given the same powers) accomplish the same thing (from RJ's perspective)?

There has to be an event (or events) that only occur because he is Luc, or Isam or both at the same time.

This all hinges on the fact that I don't think RJ would put something of this magnitude in just to add flavor to the Slayer character.

It does and it doesn't explain the need for him to be Slayer, but it may be that that path is the only path in which he is in a position to kill Fain.

Gitara's foretelling would like have been simple... For the Light to win TG, Luc must go to the Blight and Tigraine to the Waste and never return before the maidens come to Tar Valon. I highly doubt she knew the implications or roles either would play.

The why when it comes to Isam has partially been answered by RJ. The shadow took in Isam because of his ties to the royal line of Malkier, and because he was an infant, which made him a blank page to be raised the way the shadow wanted him to be. It may be that Isam being raised by the shadow has an important part in what made it possible for him to become Slayer.

The connection to a royal line could be why Isam captured, and got amalgamated with Luc, instead of simply killing him on the spot. If you're mixing up your über-assassin you probably don't want to throw in just any ol' farmboy in the pot.

Based on the KC prophecies, and the proximity of Slayer to the "Wild Hunt", I really feel that Slayer is linked to The Darkhounds as well as Fain. We also see Slayer and the "hounds" connected in the Dark Prophecy as well.

We know he was sent to assasinate Fain. We know he likes killing wolves. I'm drawing a mental line between his penchant for wolf killing, his search for Fain (who's hard to track), and the fact that the Wild Hunt is tracking someone who is hard to find.

No, he never has darkhounds any with him, but that can easily be explained by him liking to work alone (heh, although he is 2 people in 1).

Given his connection with wolves, Fain, Darkhounds, and Perrin, I could see this as a major foursome battle at TG.

I agree with Majsju on why Isam amalgamated Luc, and also agree that Slayer will kill Fain at a most opportune time. But who will kill Slayer? For a long time I thought it would be Perrin and/or the wolves. But now I say that, after a close call against Lan (who very uncharacteristically freezes on the spot at the sight of Isam) Noal will do him/them in. He has a score to settle, after all.

Actually, I am not convinced Slayer will get Fain, it might very well be the other way around. Especially as I have Fain as my favourite candidate to take out SH, which means Slayer would ahve to lurk around during TG to get to Fain.

On the topic of why Gitara sent Luc into the Blight. I always thought that it was simply that if she didn't then Andor would not be like it is today.

Think on it. If Luc didn't leave, then there probably would not have been a war for Succession as Luc would probably have been very influential in picking the next Queen.

If there had been a war, the presense of Luc could have caused Morgase not to win. Even if she had won, would she have married Laman to solidify her hold on the throne? No. She probably would have married Luc instead.

Regardless of which outcome, there would be no Elayne, Gawyn, or Galad. Three characters that had a large impact on major events in the series.

Not to mention the possible ramifications to other characters. Would Thom have been Morgase's Lover? Would Garth Bryre have been captain of the queens guard (or whatever his official title was). A lot of events would have been put into question if Luc did not go to the Blight.

Archived