DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

First Meeting (ATTN: Liitha)

Jagen Sedai

Jagen stood in her room looking at herself in a full-length, gilded mirror. She found herself sneering as she fixed a transparent, tinged-red veil over the lower half of her doll-like face. Her dress today was cut to expose her shoulders, with long bell sleeves and a skirt that nearly touched the ground. It was a very deep red, with a hint of black fringe. Black was a color forbidden to be worn by any Aes Sedai, but she often wore it in lace or ribbons. As long as the dress was not black, or she would have many. A black dress would have very well suited her mood this morning.

That... man... had bonded her! Despite her own agreement to Zarinen, the Taraboner refused to see this unfortunate predicament as her own fault. After all, if the men hadn't come in the first place--perhaps if Zarinen wasn't Highest!--she'd never be in this situation at all!

She gritted her teeth, hatred flowing through the bond at the jumbled feeling of emotions in the back of her mind. She, on the wrong end of this horrid weave! Her gaze went to the empty bottle of wine on the nearby table. Jagen was not one for drinking, but after she returned to her room yesterday, she downed the bottle on an empty stomach. Oh, she got sick after that, but it managed to numb her feelings before knocking her out, thankfully, for most of the night.

Grabbing her shawl rand tossing it on, she slipped her feet into dark red slippers and headed for her door. She did not want to do what she was about to--she wished this man would go disappear off into the world and leave her be--but the Sisters had a duty to do.

Jagen always did her duty to the Red Ajah, and she did it with passion. But this... this was rather unbecoming of a Red. Sure, they dealt with men who could channel, but not in this manner. She stopped and took in a deep breath, letting it out slowly before she stepped outside into the wide hall of the Red Ajah quarters. Red. It stood for passion, to her. Her duty. Yet today it took on another meaning: it was the color of blood. Blood she badly wanted to spill.

She tucked that thought very deep into her mind. Who knew what the bond carried?

Jagen usually hired a sedan chair in the Tower Square, though her less than eager attitude coupled with a need to vent her still strong feelings called for a good walk. People moved out of her way quickly--no one wanted to be in the way of an angry Red, after all. And Jagen seemed to be on a warpath.

She reached the inn near twenty minutes later and straightened up, every inch of Aes Sedai dignity, and a promise to cause pain in her deep blue eyes. She tried not to let herself feel where he was, yet it could not be helped. The innkeeper gave a small greeting to which Jagen ignored, barking at him, "A private sitting room." He scurried to show her the way.

"Perhaps some tea, Aes Sedai, or--"

"Leave me," she commanded. He dipped a quick bow and was gone, the door closed behind him. Jagen did not sit. When he came to meet her, she would be equal to his gaze, refusing to look up at him. She crossed her arms under her chest, the long red fringe of her shawl swaying.

• 2 weeks later...

Aslan retired to the room asigned him as soon as he got the option, it all had tired him, and he wanted some time to think, he also needed to be sure he got full control of Jakar.

He shook his head at the sensation in the back of it, if it wasnt for the fact it was undeniable there he would almost been tempted to call it all a bad dream. What had he gotten himself into, would it really be worth it, and would he truly be able to keep control through all of this, he was still sore from the punch as well. He siged and reached for the waterpitcher on the nightstand, pouring himself a glass, sipping it then laying down staring into the roof. He felt tired and but yet too awake and alert too sleep, he wondered what tomorow would bring, then picked up a book to read.

Scaning a page for the tird time some hours later he rubed his forehead, if he hadnt known better he would have thougth he had been drinking, maybe he should go see one of the others, it may be some flashback effect of the bond, but then again wouldnt the others said something. He shook his head trying to focus, surely such things would be known from the farm, unless it had to do with the fact that the one on the other end was someone who could wield the one power, but even then surely they shouldn known. It must just be over exhaustion, he tried to not focus on the ball in the back of his head, it was constantly fuming and he didnt really want to know what she was thinking about tonight. Laying away the book he descided to try and get some sleep instead, tomorow was a new day to face these challenges and questions to be sorted out, and he would need to be awake.

He awoke afresh the next day which seemed to indicate he was right about being tired, so he focused on geting some proper sustenance into his body, then went back too his book in lack of anything better to do. It took a while before he notised a change in the ball, he had ignored it so far being aware she was awake from the fact that it was shifting, or that was the best way he could describe it. However now it was not just indicating general minor movement as he presumed it had been within the white tower, it seemed to be coming closer. He tensed for a moment, would she be coming here, or just going into the city general, he hadnt heard anything about any meeting, but it was not unlikely, though if she came then it was not unlikely more of them would apear. He pondered going to find Arath or some of the others to hear if they knew anything, then dismissed the idea as foolish, if the sisters were heading here they would know as sure as he would.

He took up his cup of tea and reatached his eyes too the book though he couldnt quite focus, there was so many things jumbled in his mind, both of past and present. When growning up he had regarded Aes Sedai with high esteem, then he had come to the black tower, and now he had up and bonded one, if his mother had heard she would have thougth it all lies and storytales, and that he for sure had gone crazy. He shook his head and realised there was no denying the sensation in his head, she was nearing the inn without any delays or detours, he got up and looked out his window over the town, though it was on the backside so he wouldnt see her.

He could feel her close presence, she was now in the building, but he needed to gather his mind, be sure he was in control of Jakar before facing her. Eventually he knew the time had come, there was no sensations of the other in his head, and he probably wouldnt be wise to let her wait too long, though he wasnt sure how this all would work considering he was the bondholder. Time to find it out though he thougth to himself, he walked straigth backed with resolve and dressed in full uniform, afterall when it came down too it he was here in official errand and it was important balance was maintained untill this all could be worked out properly between the leaders.

He opened the door too the room he felt she was in, "Good Morning Jagen Sedai" he bowed his head in respect as a noble would to another, rather then to someone above in station, it may be long since he walked the halls of noblehouses during his upbringing, but he had not forgoten his mothers lessons in ettiquette. He made sure to draw on his speach lessons as well, though it clearly drew forth his dialect of the past as well, marking well that he was from Mayene. However the way he saw it, they werent likely to get out of this situation anytime soon, so they might as well get to know eachother. "I hope you slept well, shall I order us some tea, and posible something to nible on or have you had breakfast this morning?" He wasnt sure about the schedule of Aes Sedai, but living out in the woods when he could he was up with the dawn and went to bed with dusk to make good use of the daylight.

Jagen waited with little patience at first, not used to be kept waiting on someone else. His third mistake. His first had been kissing her--she wiped her hand on her lips again needlessly. His second mistake had been bonding her. She'd make him pay for that, one day.

Yet, she took this time to try to calm herself as well, breathing deep and slow. She needed to be in control.

Then she let herself feel that bundle of emotions getting stronger--the sensation that gave her the impression he was coming ever closer. The feelings made her lips draw into an open sneer, her calming motions already forgotten.

The door opened. He gave a quick greeting, but certainly did not bow as low as he should have. So this man thought he was her equal? The bond, it... no, I'm not thinking about that. It was horrible enough she had to be in this situation without being reminded of it every bloody second of the day.

"I hope you slept well," he was saying. "Shall I order us some tea, and possibly something to nibble on or have you had breakfast this morning?"

Jagen crossed her arms loosely under her chest, the index finger of her left hand--where she wore her Great Serpent--tapping on her other arm. "I will not play this, your game," she told him coolly. "Do not try to small talk me. I came here to give you a warning. Just because there was an agreement, the result, it means nothing. You understand, yes? If you come nearer to the White Tower than you already are, I will make you regret it. I am a Sitter of the Red Ajah, not your..." she looked him over with open contempt and disgust, "...whatever you think I am to you. This knowledge, it needs to be protected. I will not have some scoundrel like you messing things up."

As quickly as Jagen had wanted to depart, there was another thing she needed to cover. After all, one of these men had come to her under their leader. "As well, when we meet--when I designate such things!--I want you to tell me more about your... Black Tower and the M'Hael, or whatever you call him." She lifted her chin. "If I am needing to work with you, I am to learn your organization, yes? You are going to teach me." And she stood awaiting his response--which, she thought, better not be anything other than a 'Yes Aes Sedai' with a more respectful bow. This boy was lucky they hadn't tried gentling him, after all, so respect was due!

• 2 weeks later...

Aslan sat down in a chair and looked at her while she talked, as he had learned was the right way to pay attention in a respectfull way. It became obviously clear too him she held some delusions of the structure of the Black Tower and how effective this was, there was no way he would go against orders, it was a rough set up but it worked, control was needed though. This was not at all going as he had hoped, but he was trained well, he may have memories of the court but likewise he was of full rank in the Black Tower, he earned the pins on his coat jacket.

He waited till she was done "I hear you, however you must excuse the fact I was brougth up in court where it would be considered polite to wait on ones guests Aes Sedai.." he let it hang in the air a little while but not long enough for her too get a word in before speaking again. "We are both members of our respective towers with leaders to answer too though, I will answer questions that are on the same scale as I would presume you too be able to answer about the internal affairs of the White Tower, and as well of personal character where they are not too invasive for whatever it is you presume we have of a relation here. In return I would hope you would be able to answer some of mine, as I got a personal project studying talents that I hope the White Tower would have information on that I may yet not have found..."

He let that hang in the air, kicking the ball over too her, making it clear that he was willing to go about this in a civil way if she was, if not then he guessed he would have to have a chat with Arath about how to progress in this, the two towers had an agreement afterall about balancing the bonds, and he was well aware of his responsibilities here. His gut feeling was that this was not going to sit well with this Aes Sedai, and he wondered on the wisdom of the whole contract and especially with this particular ajah, did the rest have the same amount of issues, or mayhaps those women felt less threathened due to being on the other end of the bond.

All in all though he found this all easier then he had expected, it was not that hard too keep his composture if he lay aside some of his childhood learnings and focused more on his training and experience as an asha'man, a verbal tantrum as he was coming too expect just couldnt hold up in length when thinking of it compared to real battle against other channelers. If anything reminding himself of who he was and what he had been through in his life since becoming what he was, he felt more calm and ready to deal with whatever she had too throw out. He trusted his leaders, there was an agreement, and well really yes they were in the Aes Sedai city, but he been part of a group faced up against dreadlords and posible even some chosen, this compared too everything else suddenly didnt feel like that large a problem when he remembered the fight up in the borderlands.

And as he saw her ready to speak again, after taking a breath, he spoke up interupting her.

"Jagen was it not? Why do you not sit down, like I said we both answers too those above us, if not for that then the likelyhood is neither of us would be in this situation, there is no point crying over spoiled milk though..." he motioned too a chair, "we need to work this out and be able to move forward, and you want too learn about the Black Tower, then let the first lesson be that its not the courts.." he continued before she could interupt him "It is like you probably know if you Aes Sedai communicate and keep updated an organized tower, and more so one that has faced its share of very real battles, its a place where you learn, and you learn fast if you are going too survive, there is not huge room for mistaces, its a place which have succeeded to organize and train men who otherwise would wander aimlessly or fall into the madness..."

He did not want too point out her mistace for her, only give her enough harmless information that she may revise her method of aproach so they actually could get somewhere, instead of this useless banter, because truly what was done was done, and he saw no reason to keep living the what if's, especially since it would be counterproductive too the whole reason for the agreement too be made in the first place, cooperation between the towers. He could almost hear Jakar snicker in the back of his head, he was just glad for now things seemed too be well under control.

Jagen nearly huffed at his mention of 'internal affairs' of the Black Tower. What could they possibly want to hide after what was already general knowledge of their very existence to the world? As if they had anything important there other than hundreds of men who needed to be gentled. Or maybe massacred.

Then he mentioned he was studying talents. This young boy--how old was he, anyway, she vaguely wondered. He was practically a baby trying to run amok by himself.

She was just about to tell him he didn't have the necessary experience for such an endeavor, only to be cut off by him. Politeness, indeed!

Yet the Red waited with patience. Even when he compared their situation to spilled milk. She wanted to deliver a good slap across his arrogant face, yet her hands remained very still along her crossed arms. As he was wrapping up his little speech, Jagen took in his words. He had been a noble before joining that group in Andor. His people he answered to. That Light-blasted M'Hael who had been in the Tower the night before.

"...it's a place which has succeeded to organize and train men who otherwise would wander aimlessly or fall into the madness..." The blonde haired man finished.

She said nothing at first, but her blue eyes were on him very intently. He was not a boy, she saw. His eyes even seemed a bit tired to her. A monster, or a tool? She pursed her lips. All of them were monsters, yet some more so than others. He said there was little room for failure. Then he was but a useful monster, a tool to a bigger one above him.

"There is something you do not realize," she finally said, and the Taraboner moved to the chair across the room, frowning as she realized they had no tea. Of course. She had told the innkeeper to stay away. "You speak of the Black Tower as if it has been around, as if it has some history. The black Tower barely has the lifespan of a fly, while the White Tower has been around since only three hundred years after the Breaking. You are trying to run around with the Power when you barely have used it for--what? A couple years, perhaps? How long did it take you to learn those pins you wear so proudly? I spent thirteen years earning my shawl, boy, and I was one of the quicker ones. Asha'man you call yourself. Asha'man then is naught but a young boy who has no discipline except not to kill himself with the One Power. Your rank, it does not compare to mine. A stumbling baby colt comparing itself to a graceful mare.

"You have room to grow. Understand the White Tower is helping to guide you, and that is one of the few reasons we decided not to wipe you off the face of the planet."

She sat down in the chair and made herself comfortable, adjusting her shawl to cover her bare shoulders. "How are you called, boy?" She asked. If she needed to put up with that bundle of emotions in her head, she needed a name for him. And she would only remember his name was long as they were bonded. She would find a way to sever it, somehow. Someday. She met his gaze. Not now, but that day would come.

He looked at her gravely "and how many die during training in the white tower? how many lessons do you have in a day? how much but for the essential needed to fight do you learn?"

He sat back in the chair, "I am not trained to take on politics, nessesities and so on, I am trained and I was trained hard, yet survived, for only one thing, to be a weapon come the last battle Aes Sedai. How much real battle have you been in this last couple years, or have you been walled up here in Tar Valon, our worlds are different, too different aims...but this is a debate I am more then happy to leave too those in charge, our leaders..." he hoped the hinting at the fact that neither had much to do with the situation and both were in it due to leaders above their head would somber her up some, if not then while he understood her frustration he had not come here or agreed to butt head with an Aes Sedai.

"The offer stands, I will trade you information where I can about the black tower for information about talents, you may take it or leave it Aes Sedai." he looked at her, if he could not get what he wanted here he would not be waisting his time, though the rest were bonded too Aes Sedai, this was not his case, and he was not sure what that abode, it was meant to be alike for a like. "Before you leave though, consider your reasons for agreeing too this and how you best may achive this, because be asured I lay my reasons on the table, and without a reason to stay, I will only stay as long as my leaders demand it of me..."

Mayhaps he let Jakar influence him, he wasnt sure, but his patience was wearing thin, why couldnt they have set up this agreement with other ajah's, it seemed to him the red was so stuck in her past that if the rest was the same he wondered how this all would go down, surely a brown would have been more usefull, at least no worse then this he figured. He but hoped if this all ended up futile that the agreement which was meant to be two ways didnt mean that he had to drag her around, he would need to talk to Arath soon and figure out what the plans was, if he knew more he might be able to find a way to break through too this woman.

Jagen's irratation surely flared through the bond when the man refused to give up his name. Instead, he seemed rather determined to make it clear he was only there because he was told to be, and didn't seem to want much trouble.

Yet the Red could see nothing but a man holding a bond over her, and one made of that dispicable saidin.

However, she let him say what an Asha'man was, and she took the words in. He was right on one thing, she realized, and that was the fact his only training had to do with the Power: he was naught but a weapon.

It only reaffirmed her view of him: a monster, a tool, a weapon. He was human too, of course, but when you were a man who could channel, you simply weren't on equal terms with other humans. Just as Aes Sedai were above others, Asha'man were far below.

Jagen realized she wanted to end this meeting. An urge to go back to her rooms in the Tower--and how dare he accuse her of being hold up in there, when she had only recently returned! He had no clue as to who she was or what she did since gaining the shawl! But she needed to bathe. To scrub herself. That bundle of emotions she was having trouble figuring out--did she sense resolution, or something else?--was too much for her just then. There was a man who could channel, who used that power on her, standing before her, and she could do nothing about it.

She nearly shivered at thinking of saidin again. She told herself not to be cowed, not by this horrible situation. He asked her to think on why she agreed to this. Was he referring to the bond? Her agreement had been in jest, made only because she thought it wouldn't actually happen in a hundred years. Then it did.

She stood up suddenly, perhaps a tad quicker than she intended, yet her face was stern. "We will talk again later, yes? On the matters of our Towers. Of what is going to happen. Whatever your name is," she added half-dismissively, deciding she really didn't care. She needed to go back into the Tower.

"Aslan..." he rose and openend the door for her "and I got no interest in the White Tower save for the libary"

He looked at her "Though if you should change your mind on the difficulty of finding a few books on talents mayhaps we instead could get something more fruitfull out of this..." He wasnt quite ready to give up on his chance too learn something, and if he had to take the first steps then so be it, he was willing to streatch out a hand if it could get him anywhere.

"The choice is yours Aes Sedai, but I would think it would be more fruitfull for both to have a truce, because doubt not my loyalty is too the Black Tower, and the agreement was a balance in the numbers, you can either be a rolle model for those sisters who are sure to come after you to even out the numbers, or you can continue to try and act as if this was not a two sided agreement" He thougth he had figured out enough about the bond and the ability he heard of where one could shield ones emotions to give it a try. He looked causally at her while he sliped into the flame and void "..and I am not your warder Aes Sedai" he said it in calm tones, simply stating a fact, no argumentative or bad tones too it, he was not and he would not act like it, nor if this was how they treated them could he figure why anyone would ever want too be.

Jagen paused as she neared the door, glancing half over her shoulder at him, blinking in surprise at his comment. "Aslan," she said grimly. "Of course you are not my Warder. Reds do not have Warders, you fool man." She herself did not see the other bonded Asha'man as Warders--because her definition of a Warder was an honorable warrior who had trained in the White Tower's grounds. And Warders could not channel. What then were these men? She had not decided yet how to think of them. Partners in a war, perhaps, but she didn't even want to give them that much. No, she was still firm on her first position: they were just tools.

She was going to leave just then, but then she let one more piece of information. "Perhaps when we may next meet, I will have something on Talents for you. If, of course, you have information on the Black Tower for me. Written of course. You can read and write, yes?" She raised an eyebrow. "The Talents, they are most likely beyond your grasp, but if you want to learn about things you can't do, it is fine with me." Jagen had one Talent herself, for Healing, but it was all she needed or ever wanted. If this man had any, perhaps it would be Healing--but how he could ever put it to use if he did, she was unsure, because no one would let a channeling man help them. She nearly shivered at the thought herself.

"Then, we will meet at another time. I will contact you when I am ready to speak again." She adjusted her shawl pointedly and opened the door from the inn's private room.

Aslan let it go at that, he would have taken her out now if he needed but she seemed to be streached as far as goes. He would make sure to talk to his leaders by next time to figure out what was going on, and take it from there, he wasnt quite sure what she wanted in writing, he was no historican, and description of weaves wasnt going to help her much as she couldnt wield saidin, besides that was about the one power and not the tower.

He waited till she had left, then closed the door and walked back too his room to look out the window and think, then changed his mind and went looking for some of the other in the crew who had come here.