DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

I'm Still Here

Krakalakachkn

3 members have voted

1. 1. Did you believe that Phoenix was for real?

• Yes
    • No
    • Have no idea what you're talking about

On the day of the release of the controversial Joaquin Phoenix documentary "I'm Still Here", the project's director Casey Affleck has confirmed to The New York Times that the events portrayed in the film are fictional.

"It's a terrific performance, it's the performance of his career. The reviews were so angry. I never intended to trick anybody. The idea of a quote, hoax, unquote, never entered my mind. We wanted to create a space. There were multiple takes, these are performances. You believe what's happening is real. There was no wink. It is a hard movie to watch" says Affleck.

Affleck adds that the film was modeled after the "gonzo" exploits of the late Hunter S. Thompson, and virtually the entire film is fabricated including the supposed home movies of Joaquin Phoenix's childhood which were shot in Hawaii and then downgraded to look like VHS.

Most interesting will be next week when Phoenix will appear on David Letterman's show, not in character this time. Letterman wasn't in on the joke during the previous and infamous interview last year.

he played a character for two years.

That's what I call Dedication with a capital D!

However, I'm disappointed with Affleck for giving it up so quickly. It would have been much better if he had at least waited a few months after the film was out in theatres before telling us it was a hoax. It would have been funny to see the discussion generated by critics and moviegoers about whether or not it was real or fake.

Archived