DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

I'm New

Nevare

Hi Nevare... you have certainly come to the right place if you need a sounding board for any ideas about WoT :D

Tell us more about the project... Let's face it... you are now surrounded by you target audience *g*

:lol: Thanks for the warm welcome.

As for casring. That's hard because you never know how long it's going to take to launch and people can get old, too expensive, etc. All I know is Johnny Depp has to play Padan Fain. He could even use a prostetic to extend his nose.

(Correction to previouse reply: 'casting')

It's hard to turn a book into a movie. It's even harder to turn a series into a movie. There's always problems; how do you show a characters thoughts, how can you fit everything in, how do you stay true to the book even when what happens in the book wouldn't work in a movie. And to quote Robin Hobb, what you're really doing is making a movie of your expierence reading the book. So the best way to turn the Wheel of Time's epic cycle into a motion picture story was through a miniseries. That means you can fit in just about everything that happens in the book. (Though you're still walking a thin line- if you recount everything word for word- imagine a narrator speaking in monotone- it ends up boring.)

For the script I've decided to write in voice overs- they can be taken out of the actual film if they don't work out but at least then the actor knows what their character is thinking. A casting requiremment should probably be for the actors to read not just the script but the books.

I'm still struggiling with how to do Rand and Lews Therin's "conversations" in um Rand's head.

Any ideas om that would be appriciated.

I've had numerous casting suggestions from friends.

Such as . . .

Keria Knightly as Nynaeve

Ben Foster as Perrin

Nicole Kidman as Moiraine

Emma Watson as Elayne

I'm not sure . . .

What do you think?

Well as to casting there are two or three long threads on peoples ideas.

As for Rand's conversations with LTT, for film I could imagine it a number of ways, but the two that I think work best would either be voice over (since you're probably going to be doing voice over for Perrin's conversations with the wolves) or when LTT pops up have a "phantom" LTT stand next to Rand to yell things in his ear. No one would see him, not even Rand, but he would pop up in the room and start talking to him. And then the conversations could be made much more interesting, and the actor who plays him in the beginning of EotW wouldn't just be a voice for the rest of the series. Like Russel Crowe's phantoms in Beautiful Mind.

Those are my ideas anyway.

The phantom idea is great, Kadere. You could limit it to just the head. Basically have the head of LT come away from Rand's own... that would make it more obvious that LT is within Rand... if he stands by his side... it might look more like a ghost appearance. Also having just the head, you should be able to fit him into the box.

Another option could be the zooming in through the eye and showing LT in a sort of nebulous space within Rand's brain.

That's great Egwene, Kadere. :D If I switch between voice-over, nebulous, and even have Rand seem to change into Lews Therin kind-of ghjostly like when Lews is more in control.

And Demandred- that's good and might work with his imaginination, if I switched it out. You just couldn't do it the whole time- becuase you want the audience feel how cramped and confined Rand is.

This method should really develop Lews as a seperate character and as Rand too.

Maybe I could have them like meld so sometimes you're not sure who is who.

Another thing I've been working on- in hte Great Hunt when Rand lives all those different lives, how far into that should the film go? Should it just be flashes? Or more depth than that?

Flashes... the story is vast enough without going into too much depth there. It would probably totally confuse the audience. Also... you could feed those things in all over the place. Flashbacks to those different lives at various cross roads

Archived