DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Lost Pup- Reward offered.

Blueberry

Doha yawned as she lazily weaved a crown of wild flowers. She had traveled miles away from Fal Dara into the leafy forest for this?

"Perhaps I truly am mad." she muttered as she reminisced of a time before, when she had met a wolf in this very forest. The wolf had promised her guidance. "Whatever guidance could be offered for a mad woman? I may as well fancy about marrying princes and wearing dresses with bonnets, and lace!" she exclaimed. Doha hated lace. She was feminine in certain ways, such as weaving flowers and dancing, but her other personal traits were those of the armed men in Shienar.

"She even called me 'Dancer' or something. Of course I would hallucinate of being called 'Dancer'! Why not prancer, or smasher!" she threw down the crown, and flinched as some of the flowers tore. "I'm sorry, little ones." she hated hurting beautiful things as much as she hated wearing lace. She took the crown and adjusted some of the the flowers, and put the arrangement on her head.

However could she go home now that she had said her goodbye's to her family and friends? She frowned. "I could actually travel I suppose, with the little coin I have.."

And that's when the heard it, a twig cracking as a foot stepped upon it. Doha sprawled, reaching for her bow and arrows. She should have kept them closer!

"Peace!" she exclaimed as the breath was knocked out of her. There was a shadow above her. So this was it, doomed to die at the hands of a stranger.

She looked up and gasped.

-----

DohaReem.jpg

Edited by Mae

"Perhaps I truly am mad. Whatever guidance could be offered for a mad woman? I may as well fancy about marrying princes and wearing dresses with bonnets, and lace!"

Winifred eyed the wanderer from her hiding place up a pine tree. She smiled with amusement, observing quietly until it would feel like the right moment to approach her. She would spook her either way, in truth. There was no real way to announce her presence without showing herself. Well, short of letting Midnight do it for her. A very courteous offer she turned down. Something told her a wolf appearing out of no where would probably startle her more than a human doing so.

~ She looks like her mind is haunted with imaginary voices, sunshine ~

"She even called me 'Dancer' or something. Of course I would hallucinate of being called 'Dancer'! Why not prancer, or smasher!"

Winifred laughed quietly.

~ As long as they get along amongst themselves, I don't see the problem with that, Midnight ~

"I'm sorry, little ones." Winifred put an effort into keeping herself from laughing out loud.

~ Is the human talking to the flowers?! ~ The wolf inquired incredulously.

Winifred propped herself up on the thick branch.

~ It would appear so. Some people would talk to pretty much anything. I mean, I talk to you after all ~

Without awaiting a cheeky reply that would no doubt be conveyed later on, Winifred jumped off the tree and landed crouched on the ground. She straightened up, dusting her breeches before looking up and smiling at the wanderer. "Well, hello there m'lady. I did not mean to interrupt what could only be a fascinating conversation with the local vegetation, but I thought it time to introduce myself. My name is Winifred and I'll be your guide." Winifred raised her head enough for her yellow eyes to gleam in the sunlight, a reassurance of a sort that seemed to ease most.

Winifred

Head Tracker

Edited by Nynaeve

Before she really had a chance to think of what the intruder had said, she spouted out, "If you don't mind I was venting my anger for the wind to hear!". But then what the woman- Winifred? What she had said fully hit her.

"Wh.." she paused, sitting up slowly, staring at the woman's golden, gleaming eyes. "The wolf!" she perked up as she said it "The wolf that I talked to- it was righ- so I'm not totally blasting mad!" she already knew she must seem mad to this lady.

She got up and began dusting off from her black leather boots, up the snug brown trousers to her creamy salmon pink colored loose blouse- which she had tucked in. She was dressed very much like a man (aside from the salmon pink), perfect for travel and very much comfortable. She took the crown of flowers off her head and dropped them into the grass carefully, and proceeded to stick out her hand with unsure eyes and boyish grin gracing her lips.

"Well, Winifred. It's a.. pleasure and a relief to meet you."

• 3 weeks later...

"If you don't mind I was venting my anger for the wind to hear!". Winifred suppressed a snicker and managed a half sympathetic smile at the peculiar wanderer. "Wh.. The wolf! The wolf that I talked to- it was righ- so I'm not totally blasting mad!" This time Winifred couldn't help but laugh. "Well, Winifred. It's a.. pleasure and a relief to meet you."

Winifred cleared her throat, trying to wait for the amusement to wear off. It never quite did. "Well, I will hold off about deciding whether or not you are mad. I think that would require the foliage to step in as well. And the bushes, otherwise they'd feel left out." Winifred smiled warmly at the wanderer and sat down on the ground, looking up into the sky as she spoke.

"It is a pleasure to meet you too. Though I would require a name you'd answer to, unless you want me to name you. I'm told I have a good imagination when it comes to name calling, only I believe it was said in a bit of a different context." Winifred chuckled to herself. "Though I'm sure the basics of it are similar to some extent." Midnight walked out of a near-by bush nonchalantly and dropped to the ground, already assuming his usual nap position. He didn't find the girl to be a threat and felt rather good about seeming like the laziest wolves of all. Winifred just shook her head and grinned to herself.

"So, lets hear it. I'm assuming you have questions and I'm all ears."

Winifred

Head Tracker

Doha carefully took in what Winifred was saying- still trying to make sense of what was going on.. and trying to ignore the pun involving shrubs and foliage.

"I'm quite sure you'd be good at names- by the sound of your humor." she grinned- but her grin drooped as she saw the wolf coming forward.. and plopping to the ground. Quite the prowess... she couldn't help but think it.

"So, lets hear it. I'm assuming you have questions and I'm all ears." Winifred finished.

"I'm Doha Reem." what could she ask? There was so much to ask and so little trickling from her lips, "well atleast I think I am.. What am I- what are we?" she sighed and sauntered over to the wolf and plopped down next to him- surprised by her own actions. She felt totally safe next to the animal that was feared by most (if not all) folk. "And whats your name? Quite the beau you are." she carefully slipped her hand into his mane and petted him gently- but only briefly. After all he was a stranger. "We can talk with them.. why? How?" she felt confused- confused couldn't cover what she felt but it was the closest feeling there was.

Edited by Mae

"Well at least I think I am... What am I - What are we?" Doha moved next to Midnight and petted him once. "And whats your name? Quite the beau you are." She looked at Winifred. "We can talk with them... Why? How?"

~ Why did she stop, Sunshine? ~

Winifred smiled. ~ Perhaps she's trying to be respectful of your personal space ~

~ Humans? Respectful? There's an amusing thought ~

Winifred simply stuck her tongue out at the wolf. She knew he wouldn't understand what she meant by it but it gave her just has much satisfaction to keep him confused. "That poor excuse of a wolf there is Midnight. I'm afraid I've been feeding him too much. He's grown soft." Winifred grinned to herself. Midnight gave her a dangerous look. There was no way the wolf could know what she said but he knew her too well and probably realized that she was talking about him. She suspected she was going to get an earfull about that later.

"As for what we are, we are Wolfkin. We're not any sort of shadowpawn, although some might be inclined to believe it to be true. We're just a specific group of humans that has been granted a very unique gift. Our eyes mark as for who we are. As for why we were given this gift, I can't really say. I think it's one of those things that just chooses you. As for how we do it, it's done through our thoughts. Images serve as the language. It's a little hard to get used to at first but after a while it feels like a rather flunet conversation. You will be taught all you need to know. Talking to the wolves, interperting your enhanced senses. The question is, are you ready to follow me home?".

Winifred

Head Tracker

Doha rolled the word "Wolfkin" off of her tongue. It seemed suitable. It felt like it had been tucked in the recesses of her memories- only to be unveiled once again.

"..It's a little hard to get used to at first but after a while it feels like a rather fluent conversation. You will be taught all you need to know. Talking to the wolves, interperting your enhanced senses. The question is, are you ready to follow me home?".

Home? Doha-she had a home, didn't she?.. One she had left. Along with a family she loved and cherished.. But had she ever had a home that would be as interesting as this one would be? She frowned. Almost like being reborn-I'll be the baby again.

"Home sounds good to me." she couldn't help but grin boyishly as she said it.

Edited by Mae

• 3 weeks later...

"Home sounds good to me." Winifred grinned. She was pleased when she found Wanderers that accepted the change so well. There were still many things to understand and process. It was never easy. But the first step was to accept the guidance and be herded back to safety. Back home. Most likely the only place where they'd be welcomed with open arms and where they didn't have to worry about persecution.

"We might as well sit for a bit and have some tea before we set out. This place is as good as any." Winifred vanished for a few moments and returned with some twigs and branches that would do for a small fire. "I swear they were dead when I found them. Wouldn't want to upset your vegetation after all. Especially after you became such fast friends." Winifred gave Doha a sheepish grin and fetched herbs from her bag. Soon enough the tea was done, emitting the most splendid aroma.

"If you have any additional questions or quandaries, you're welcome to ask. Or you can tell me about yourself... or we can have a girl talk, though I might not be of much help in that, I'm afraid." Winifred laughed softly. "Searching for wanderers leaves little time for romance. Unless you count Midnight. He still refuses to admit it, but I'm pretty sure I'm his forbidden love." The wolf growled, once again seeming to know what she said without there being an actual way for him to know. Winifred spared him a smile before bringing her attention back to Doha.

Winifred

Head Tracker

• 5 weeks later...

Doha grinned along with Winifred as she jested. She may as well, it was her own fault she was being teased.. she did talk with a flower after all.

"Girl talk? I don't have much of that to spare. As for relationships, I've no current interest in those. My mother's Domani and shes.. attempted to.. intrigue me to marriage, but marriage is the last of my interest.. After all what man would want a woman who prefers to dress a as a man- unless your in Kandor of course.. But what is interesting me right now is this home you speak of.. whats it like? Does everyone get a companion such as yours? What of the ranks?" Doha was very curious, after all she would be living with this near stranger... "Are the others nice?" a childish question, but a reasonable one, considering the situation.

Edited by Mae

• 3 weeks later...

IC:

"But what is interesting me right now is this home you speak of.. whats it like? Does everyone get a companion such as yours? What of the ranks?.... Are the others nice?".

Winifred smiled in remembrance of the Stedding. "It's a beautiful place. Serene. Safe. A true haven in every sense of the word. As for companions, yes, each Wolfkin has one. If you don't have one yet, you will, worry not. It's very special relationship, the one with one's companion. It's like nothing I ever experienced before. It's why I treasure it so much."

Winifred handed Doha a cup of tea and poured some for herself. "As for ranks, best leave that to when your training begins. You will have plenty of time to learn about that. But in general, the Wolfkin consists of three paths. That of a Ranger, a Tracker and a Sage. Each Wolfkin finds his or hers own path. I've found mine a long time ago. I'm the Head Tracker. It's my job and others' to seek out people like you and guide them to safety."

Winifred took a sip from her cup and carried on. "Are they nice? Well, just like anywhere there is an assortment of characters. Some are nicer, some are less. But we all share the same loyalty and we all share the same abilities, though some are more skilled than others. It's a matter of practice and patience. Sometimes it's about tricks too." Winifred grinned to herself and took another sip.

OOC: Hey, so...... we can either continue this thread with more questions or chatting through the journey (which is fine by me) or we can wrap it up with a final post from you....and I can start a thread on the Wolfkin Stedding RP board of us arriving there. Let me know what you prefer either here or via PM :)

Winifred

Head Tracker

• 1 month later...

(OOC: A final post sounds devine, lets make this simple..)

Doha listened attentively... Training? Plenty of time? How long would she be away from her family? Forever? Perhaps it was for the best.

"The Stedding sounds wonderful.." she paused, sipping the last bit of her tea, "I'm ready to go when you two are."