DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Wheel of Time: The Complete Boxed Set (With all new art!)

I tried to photoshop what I think (or hope) the whole new boxed set will look like (I'm hoping they will release something like that after aMoL or the Encyclopedia), but alas, my 'shop skills are lacking some.

I'm hoping they release the whole set with a lot less über-cheesy art work (sorry, guys, I hate Darryl Sweet's work  :-\), and something along the lines of a classy, boxed set.  I'd like it if there were no artwork on the covers (like the leatherbound editions with the art bound in the front cover), but with new artwork...

Anyway, I know we all own every book, in paper back and hard cover (some of us even have those fancy signed leather copies), but who is going to go out and buy the complete boxed set?  How much would you pay?

I will definitely buy it, especially if it's after the encyclopedia, I think it would be great to have a complete, matching set of tWoT books.  Cost?  I'd say at least $200 (even up to $300 if they are high-q enough) would be good.  I want ultra-high quality books (in terms of binding, something we have lacked at times as WoT fans), and for 12 (or 13 if enc. is included) books, that seems fair (about $16/book)

What do y'all think?

Boxed sets tend to run cheaper per book. At least from my experience. But there would be Eye of the World through A Memory of Light so it'd be 14 books. Then the possibility of the BWB, New Spring and encyclopedia.

I don't think I'd buy it since it'd cost so much and I already have all the current books. Plus that would be something you likely have to order and wait for. I can't see a book store dedicating so much space to that. The boxed set will be pretty big on the shelves. Maybe even a system where you have one book mailed to you and the next comes a few weeks later, can send it back for a return of your money, or be billed. Louis L'Amour's books were done that way for a while.

Yeah, not so much a "boxed" set, that would be a pretty big box.

But I would like to see them all released in a little classier and more.. umm... not sure what the word I'm looking for is, but just nicer, and not with generic fantasy-book-art on them all.  Maybe just leather (or even faux-leather hard cover) with gold writing, maybe the WoT logo on the side and one on the cover, or even the Aes Sedai or Dragon symbol or something.

haha, right.

Like I said, I didn't mean quite a "boxed set" literally, but like releasing each of the books in a binding and cover that aren't so cheesy, and just better quality in general.  I mean, the hardcovers look okay when you take the dust jackets off, but they aren't particularly high quality binding though.

furthermore, I just think the series deserves a printing more elegant, timeless, and classy.  something that would look nice on a shelf next to other classic epics in a nice library, instead of the fantasy section at barnes-n-noble.

a binding that can withstand more than 3 or 4 readings would be nice too.

Wouldn't it be nice if the binders for Tor read this thread?  Then again, they'd probably be the kind of kids who don't take criticism so well.  End up binding aMoL to fall apart once the book was opened to a certain page.  :P  I would re-purchase every book in the format of this WH I have.  It's hard back, but almost an inch and a half shorter from top to bottom than the first edition hard back, half an inch shorter across, and the print is smaller and the pages are filled.  And let me tell you, that book is solid.

My Hardbacks are still ok, but my paperbacks of the early books are or have fallen apart, they;ve been read so many times the prologue for LoC is a bundle of pages taped together and slipped inside the front cover. I was seriously looking at getting a whole new set of hardbacks anyway so something like a collectors set would do very nicely for me.

14 or however many matching books would look nice lined up on my bookcase (although it's sections are a fraction too small to hold them all on one self mores the pity.)

• 2 years later...

Thought with the imminent release of the final book that I'd pipe in on this again...

A high quality boxed set as described above would be brilliant. My books have all fallen apart as well, I'll hold back from saying it's because they aren't the greatest quality since they have been flown around the world several times, taken to beaches, the pool, the snow and read and read and read lol. I would pay good $$$ for a quality set, so I hope the publishers are reading this :)

If they came out with a leather bound, good binding, high quality paper edition with a simple gold or silver leaf wheel of time symbol and title on the cover and spine I would happily pay hundreds for it.

If they also had the new complete notes and encyclopedia of Robert Jordan and New Spring in the collection as well... I would hand TOR my first born for it (or a thousand dollars which ever they prefer)

Its hard to get a really good series of books now days and even harder to have a book that is worthy of keeping on a shelf because its binding quality. I have Leather bound copies of so many books the wheel of time looks "odd" next to them. And I love them to much to put them on the shelves with my "normal" fantasy books. I would pay ALOT for a really nice set

Archived