DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Kneeling to Elaida / Crystal Throne...

Adamantus

Let me reiterate my personal loony theory.

The Crystal Throne is the ceremonial seat of the first among the Hall of Servants, which has somehow survived the Breaking and become the Seanchan throne. Fortuona will have it brought from the ToM in order to fulfil the prophesy she is fixated on.

Rand will see it; Lews Therin will recognise it and more importantly, the chair's embedded program will recognise him. He will kneel in some sort of ceremonial gesture and tickle it with a weave of spirit. It will then kick Fortuona out and allow Rand to sit instead. She will be murderously angry but also overawed by the ter'angreal and be bound to him.

Both versions of prophesy will be fulfilled and Rand will take control of the Ever Victorious Army.

"Knowing the Amyrlin's anger" may or may not mean that Egwene is angry at Rand.  It may of may not mean that she is in a position to do anything.  It may not even involve a face to face meeting (although it is likely).

It might even mean that he shares her anger, 'knowing it' by experiencing it himself - such as sharing anger over the way channelers are treated by the Seanchan.

Elaida never foretold that Rand would kneel to her.  She said that he would face the Amerlyn's (sp?) anger.  I do not doubt that He will meet Egwene and she will be pissed.

The kneeling to the Crystal Throne prophecy is likely a corruption introduced by Ishameal.  Personally I think that if Rand does kneel to it, it will be Fortuna he kneels to and only to swear to fight the Dark One in an effort to get her to follow him.

I have lately been thinking that Elaida being a prized capture might be paraded in front of Rand to show their strength. Rand would know the Amerlyn's anger then.

Elaida never foretold that Rand would kneel to her.  She said that he would face the Amerlyn's (sp?) anger.  I do not doubt that He will meet Egwene and she will be pissed.

The kneeling to the Crystal Throne prophecy is likely a corruption introduced by Ishameal.  Personally I think that if Rand does kneel to it, it will be Fortuna he kneels to and only to swear to fight the Dark One in an effort to get her to follow him.

I have lately been thinking that Elaida being a prized capture might be paraded in front of Rand to show their strength. Rand would know the Amerlyn's anger then.

Except Elaida isn't the Amyrlin. And I'd wager she'd be totally ashamed more than angry if not already broken.

Guest BaLefireP

Let me reiterate my personal loony theory.

The Crystal Throne is the ceremonial seat of the first among the Hall of Servants, which has somehow survived the Breaking and become the Seanchan throne. Fortuona will have it brought from the ToM in order to fulfil the prophesy she is fixated on.

Rand will see it; Lews Therin will recognise it and more importantly, the chair's embedded program will recognise him. He will kneel in some sort of ceremonial gesture and tickle it with a weave of spirit. It will then kick Fortuona out and allow Rand to sit instead. She will be murderously angry but also overawed by the ter'angreal and be bound to him.

Are we sure Lews Therin will still be in Rands head in ToM?  I would think not. 

For someone — Marigan, I think, but my notes are a little wonky right about here — the Crystal Throne is not the High seat of the Tamyrlin, none of the Forsaken were among the Nine Rods of Dominion, and the “Rods” were symbols of office. Mil Tesen was really just a peddler who happened to be in the right place to pass on news of Morgase’s supposed death to Gawyn. Not everyone is somebody other than who they seem, you know. And finally, Da’concion means “the Chosen Ones” in the Old Tongue, which is used with more frequency among the Seanchan than among inhabitants of the eastern side of the Aryth Ocean.

RJ's blog. :).

At the end of tGS, Rand has his little fling on top of Dragon Mount.  After he destroys the Choen Dal (SP?) he realizes he will no longer hear LT anymore.

I have fought with myself over Rand kneeling to the Chrystal Throne.  Most of me wants to believe this prophecy is nothing more than a bastarization of the original.  There is a little doubt, though, about this being correct.  I cannot see the advantage of Rand subjicating himself to the Seanchan, other than for unity against the DO.  The old Rand would force people into alliance with him but I think the new one will be a return to Rand from the first couple books. 

I need to stop before I hijack this thread. 

Not proven. We know Ishamael tampered with the Seanchan prophesy, which differs in this key detail of DR kneeling.

We don't know if both Westland and Seanchan versions are right or if Ish threw in a lie or whatever.

However, there are ways of kneeling to/ in front of the CT which may not mean the obvious. Rand could just be tying his shoelaces for instance.     

I thought it was rather obvious that minor change would mean more conflict between Rand and the Seachan. Toun would insist that he knell and he would insist that she be tied to him somehow. With that I think is the second of "two dooms sealed" that Ishy refered to.

Prophecies have been or seemed to have been fulfilled in so many subtle and nearly insignificant ways, that there is no reason bowing to the crystal throne necessarily implies Rand is submitting to the Seanchan.  There does not need to be any elaborate scheme either, so long as the Traveling advantage remains with him, he is in a much better position to control how their stupid prophecy is fulfilled.  He could even steal it outright and put it on the top of Dragonmount and bow to it from the bottom in front of witnesses.

The Seanchan launched a massive military invasion over bird sign or some other stupid omen.  They have a built in big red shiny moron button.  Blow it up and let Tuon believe all is lost, what will she do then?  Chew 2x4's?

Archived